Baseball Opening Boxes

verfnew

OzCardTrader
Real Name
vernon newlands
Is anyone here buying and opening boxes.
So far this year I have opened 2 boxes of Topps Baseball series 1, 1 box of Donruss baseball and have pre ordered 1 box of Topps ser.2 baseball. Topps baseball Ser. 2 was supposed to have all the Rookies from this year up to around May but have just seen a YouTube video which said this isn't the case.
Last year I opened 2 boxes of Topps Ser. 1, 2 boxes boxes Topps Ser. 2., 1 box Topps update, 2 boxes of Donruss, 2 boxes Mosaic and 10 boxes of Optic all Baseball. Making 19 boxes in total. This year I will buy 1 box of Topps update and I expect that to be it as I expect Optic and Mosaic to be overpriced for what you will get. This year I might only buy 5 boxes total.
All the boxes are overprinted, overpriced and undervalued in what your return is. With the prices for cards generally dropping in the US you would expect the price of wax to come down but this hasn't happened yet.
Your views.

So far this year I have opened 2 boxes of Topps Baseball series 1, 1 box of Donruss baseball and have pre ordered 1 box of Topps ser.2 baseball. Topps baseball Ser. 2 was supposed to have all the Rookies from this year up to around May but have just seen a YouTube video which said this isn't the case.
Last year I opened 2 boxes of Topps Ser. 1, 2 boxes boxes Topps Ser. 2., 1 box Topps update, 2 boxes of Donruss, 2 boxes Mosaic and 10 boxes of Optic all Baseball. Making 19 boxes in total. This year I will buy 1 box of Topps update and I expect that to be it as I expect Optic and Mosaic to be overpriced for what you will get. This year I might only buy 5 boxes total.
All the boxes are overprinted, overpriced and undervalued in what your return is. With the prices for cards generally dropping in the US you would expect the price of wax to come down but this hasn't happened yet.
Your views.

Breakers are keeping the box prices alive.

Personal buyers are few and far between as the only one willing to cop the prices are those who can pass the prices onto others.

Stop breaking, stop prices rising!

I think there are 2 major problems with Trading cards at the moment. I agree breakers are a major concern, not only keeping prices high but all the shady things that seem to be going on. The other thing that I don't like more is that card manufacturers have monopolies. I see a lot of You tubers don't wont gov involved with regulations but like open competition. Isn't one counter acting the other. If there was 2 or 3 manufacturers in each area wouldn't the competition be good for the hobby. I am old enough to remember when we had Fleer, Upperdeck, Topps, Donruss, Leaf etc. all competing for our dollar. Admittingly they blew it with over printing.

Your views.
I am but I'm very selective about what I buy. I do not buy unlicensed baseball products( Panini, Leaf, etc) and I stopped buying flagship( Topps series1, 2 and Update) in 2021 when it was clear that the print runs were going through the roof. That's not say I'll never buy a box of flagship but in 2018 I would've busted at least 6 jumbos and 3 hobby boxes of series1, and 4-6 jumbos of series 2 and Update respectively. 2019 was similar except for series 1 which had a horrible checklist. Back then you could get a Jumbo for less than $100USD. Some presales for 2022 Series 2 is $250USD which is nuts

I'm not sure what Topps' thinking was not putting in at least one of the bigger names who was on the Opening Day roster but it's put a real spanner in the works. They might do a late SP rookie of one of the big names like they did to Acuna and Torres in 2018 and Vlad in 2019 but I'm not so sure. And even if they put them in they will be SP only in relative terms.

Like IroncladLou said breaking is keeping wax high because there is no other explanation why overprinted product with a rough roi is still being snapped up.

I mostly open Bowman baseball, Bowman chrome and Bowman Draft and those have been my favourite products since 2018 when I got back into cards. It has got expensive, though - especially Draft - and a box which now costs $450AUD ( hobby of Bowman baseball) was about $160 in 2018 and $200 in 2019. And that's with Ohtani fever in 2018 and Wander, JRod, Luciano etc. in the 2019 product.

Sadly I only see prices dropping or staying level for stuff I don't want but Bowman will continue to rise. The presell for 2022 Bowman chrome looks to be 30% higher than last year.

My advice is to only buy licensed products( unless you really like the look of the Panini cards) and buy Update and Heritage High Number instead. I expect HHN will have the rookies of the big names.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:
This part:

"I'm not sure what Topps' thinking was not putting in at least one of the bigger names who was on the Opening Day roster but it's put a real spanner in the works. They might do a late SP rookie of one of the big names like they did to Acuna and Torres in 2018 and Vlad in 2019 but I'm not so sure. And even if they put them in they will be SP only in relative terms"

They put the 3 big names in and from what I've seen they are genuinely SP. Even with a massively ramped up print run compared to 2018 I think they have a similar if not lesser print run than the BatDown.

Back
Top Bottom