Olajuwon (plus a few others) mailday — over a year in the making

Dodgydave

OzCardTrader
Real Name
David Dawkins
In December 2020 I started stashing cards at Sportlots and Shipmycards.

Eventually, after a year long wait, I decided to bring them over. Originally, I had planned to have them here before Christmas but due to several factors (one of my last purchases getting stranded by a hurricane in the States, the Christmas/New Year break, Fedex somehow taking nearly 2 weeks to get my parcel from Auckland to Hamilton then my having work out of town and a wedding in Queenstown) I have just managed to get them sorted and some pics taken.

As a warning; these are mainly PC Olajuwon cards so there is a lot of bulk. I have tried not to go overboard and have taken some individual pics of the better cards and some that I just like the look of. I have also included a couple of pics of a few of the better non-Olajuwon cards I randomly picked up in lots along the way.

Apologies in advance for the general crappiness of the photos, they really do not do the cards justice.
Star cards

I have a bit of a soft spot for the old Star company cards. Most aren't amazing to look at but that just adds to their appeal to me

1984-85 Star XRC

StarXRC.jpeg

1985-86 Star All Rookie Team/1986 Star Best of the Best/1986 Star Court Kings

Star80s3.jpeg

Other Star sets and Promos — the 1994 Star Century Promo apparently has a print run of only 20 (Personally, I feel the "one of 20 promos" on the back means it is one of a set of 20 players)

StarBulk.jpeg

1990s/Non-Panini inserts

1996-97 E-X2000 A Cut Above

90sACut.jpeg

1996-97 Skybox Z-Force Big Man on Court Z-Peat

90sBigMan.jpeg

A few I randomly really like — 1996-97 Ultra Scoring Kings Plus/1997-98 SPX Hardcourt Holoview/1996-97 Metal Molten Metal

90sScoringKings.jpeg

A few others I also randomly like more than most (I also received both 1993-94 Finest Refractors but the day is really overcast and can't get a decent pic)

90sOther.jpeg

And the rest...

90sBulk.jpeg

Autos

1998-99 Sp Authentic Sign of the Times

AutoSotTimes.jpeg

Really like these two, especially the Star — 1990-91 Star Auto/1994-95 Classic Auto

AutoStar.jpeg

Three random Panini ones I picked up cheapish

AutoPanini.jpeg

Panini inserts and base (I don't really chase Panini but have accumulated a few)

Printing Plates

PaniniPlates.jpeg

2018-19 Crown Royale Power in the Paint (I think this insert looks really cool)/2015-16 Totally Certified Imports Mirror /25

PaniniInserts.jpeg

And the rest (one of the Winner Stays is /39)

PaniniBulk.jpeg

Memorabilia cards

2017-18 Status — Swatches Relics Prime /10

MemoStatus10.jpeg

2009-10 Upper Deck Dual Game Materials (have all four Hakeem ones now)

MemoDuals.jpeg

Non Panini cards

Memoother.jpeg

Panini cards

MemoPanini.jpeg

Oddball

(Plus one Star Promo I forgot in the Star pics and a lot of European Upper Deck and Collector's Choice)

Oddball.jpeg

As promised, for those who got this far some Non-Olajuwon cards...

1948 Bowman Hal Tidrick (maybe my favourite card of the lot!)

Random48Bowman.jpeg

Three random 90s HOF rookies and some 70s cards. (The Darryl Dawkins RC is because we share a surname)

RandomRCs.jpeg

Thanks all for looking.

Congrats on the haul. Must feel good finally getting your hands on them!

Thanks. It certainly does! Had to exert some extreme patience to weight as long as I could.

Sick mailday!!!

So many good things.
The sign of the times is such an amazing card.

Thanks. The Sign of the Times does look very cool in hand. It was one of the last cards I got and the one that got tied up in the hurricane. I got a bit nervous when it did not move for 11 days.

Very cool! Shocked at the FedEx 2 weeks trip though! Was that the premium/speedy service?

To the cards - great looking stuff! i love looking through big maildays as it might give me an idea of KG stuff I can pick up from sets that look nice.

Do you like the Power In The Paint card in hand? I was going to pickup one of those but had the explosion effect somewhere else and I passed on it at the time.

The Basketball Hall of Fame auto is a cool set too, wish it was on card auto but still a great card!

Very cool! Shocked at the FedEx 2 weeks trip though! Was that the premium/speedy service?

To the cards - great looking stuff! i love looking through big maildays as it might give me an idea of KG stuff I can pick up from sets that look nice.

Do you like the Power In The Paint card in hand? I was going to pickup one of those but had the explosion effect somewhere else and I passed on it at the time.

The Basketball Hall of Fame auto is a cool set too, wish it was on card auto but still a great card!

Thanks. Just the standard FedEx service I believe. Was 18 days in total but got to NZ in about a week. The rest was getting the approx 130km from Auckland to where I live in Cambridge just outside Hamilton. Pretty standard for any form of postal/courier service in New Zealand. You can generally walk somewhere and hand over what you want delivered quicker than any of the companies will deliver it!

The Power in the Paint card is pretty cool in hand. The pic I bought it off didn't look very inspiring so was surprised it looked as cool as it did when I got hold of it. I am not a big fan of Panini for various reasons but they do have some nice inserts.
Monster of a mailday !!
I do love those Star cards and the old school 90's inserts, truly the special days of collecting.

Thanks. The 90s cards certainly bring back some nostalgia for me from when I started collecting.

Dreamy mailday mate! A bit of everythign in there - must have been likea secodn Christmas for you opening that up! I thnk Star cards are extremely undervalued - there is a bit of stigma around them but wouldn't deter me from picking some up.

Dreamy mailday mate! A bit of everythign in there - must have been likea secodn Christmas for you opening that up! I thnk Star cards are extremely undervalued - there is a bit of stigma around them but wouldn't deter me from picking some up.

I do like a good pun!

It does surprise me how cheaply even the early Star cards go for (other than then XRC). I paid less than $20 USD for the three 85 and 86 ones listed here. The auto was also cheap given it is Olajuwon's only auto from the early 90s and you can get it for less than current Panini ones generally go for and there are hundreds and hundreds of them.

how good is that tidrick!! i want one!!!!

I must confess my ignorance of the '48 Bowman set as I did not even realise they were smaller than regular cards before I got it in hand.

It does blow my mind with the crazy prices that folks pay for cards today you can still pick up a 70+ year old card from the first major NBA set released — admittedly of a little known player — for a few dollars.

Back
Top Bottom