Official 2013-14 NBA Regular Season Thread - SPOILERS!

You do realise that the Heat had every intention of finishing second

You commented that the Heat had every intention of finishing second. The theory doesn't hold water because from the 31st of March with the win over Toronto, they had 51 wins with 9 games to play. Both Toronto and Chicago had 42 wins with 8 games to play meaning they had no chance of getting the second seed even if Miami lost all their remaining games and Toronto and Chicago won all of theirs. If their intention was to finish second, they didn't have to play Lebron or Wade or Bosh in any of those final 9 games, nor would they play their MVP for extended minutes in each game with a chance to win. They were just playing basketball, trying to get ready for the playoffs and if the wins came, they came. They've always said that they aren't focused on getting top seed, only Indiana have maintained that that was their goal this season. Miami was always about improving and being ready for the playoffs and having healthy bodies especially Wade who they've really limited his playing time and given him time to fully recover from injuries. In the past 12 games, Miami have lost 3 games by a single point. Their record would be 9-3 if the outcome had been slightly different, a missed free throw, a costly turnover. If their intention was to finish second, they could have done nothing in the past 9 games and still achieved that outcome.

You commented that the Heat had every intention of finishing second. The theory doesn't hold water because from the 31st of March with the win over Toronto, they had 51 wins with 9 games to play. Both Toronto and Chicago had 42 wins with 8 games to play meaning they had no chance of getting the second seed even if Miami lost all their remaining games and Toronto and Chicago won all of theirs. If their intention was to finish second, they didn't have to play Lebron or Wade or Bosh in any of those final 9 games, nor would they play their MVP for extended minutes in each game with a chance to win. They were just playing basketball, trying to get ready for the playoffs and if the wins came, they came. They've always said that they aren't focused on getting top seed, only Indiana have maintained that that was their goal this season. Miami was always about improving and being ready for the playoffs and having healthy bodies especially Wade who they've really limited his playing time and given him time to fully recover from injuries. In the past 12 games, Miami have lost 3 games by a single point. Their record would be 9-3 if the outcome had been slightly different, a missed free throw, a costly turnover. If their intention was to finish second, they could have done nothing in the past 9 games and still achieved that outcome.

I don't know how many words that is, but every one of them was a waste of your time! :lol:

I didn't say they were planning it from way back whenever you are talking about. I was just talkin about today's game.

Whatever way you want to spin it, they chose not to field their best team in a game that could have secured them No1 seed, knowing full well what the implications were.

Take from that whatever you want!

I think they were trying to win those earlier games but when a few turned to losses they realised that taking that 2nd seed was probably overal an easier option in the playoffs then getting the 1st seed.
Agreed.. particularly since a week or so ago they would have had no idea who was going to finish 7th or 8th so impossible to "aim for second place" until now. So they would've been trying to win last week, but these last few games, once the picture became clearer, have happily accepted the consolation prize of Charlotte.

Ha ha, yeah because Indy would drop a must win game to the magic??? Wake up bud. It was over once Indy beat Okc.
did you just realise your maths was wrong and then turn it into a "wake up bud" on my part? nice... Indiana could easily have lost away to Magic, in their current form.
If you're going to make statements, make them accurate. You clearly said "the heat couldn't get number 1 after indiana beat OKC". Incorrect.

did you just realise your maths was wrong and then turn it into a "wake up bud" on my part? nice... Indiana could easily have lost away to Magic, in their current form.
If you're going to make statements, make them accurate. You clearly said "the heat couldn't get number 1 after indiana beat OKC". Incorrect.

In their current form? They just beat Okc in Okc and I have no doubt they got a massive boost out of that heat loss to Atlanta. With the no. 1 spot on the line they would roll the magic any day of the week.

Mathematically of course they could have lost. What a shame we'll never know, because it sounds like I could have made a lot of money betting you on that game.

In their current form? They just beat Okc in Okc and I have no doubt they got a massive boost out of that heat loss to Atlanta. With the no. 1 spot on the line they would roll the magic any day of the week.

Mathematically of course they could have lost. What a shame we'll never know, because it sounds like I could have made a lot of money betting you on that game.
I don't think you could have made a lot of money, actually. They would've been paying about $1.10 to win...

$1.10 for a game that you're not confident Indy could win?

Might be time time give up the argument.

At least you didn't lose any money.
What do you reckon they were paying when they lost to Hawks by 20 in Indiana last week? Or when they lost by 14 to Cavs the week before?

You're arguing for the sake of it. You made a statement that was not correct (factually) and now you're turning it into some sort of weird quest to prove a point that nobody cares about. Stop it.

What do you reckon they were paying when they lost to Hawks by 20 in Indiana last week? Or when they lost by 14 to Cavs the week before?

You're arguing for the sake of it. You made a statement that was not correct (factually) and now you're turning it into some sort of weird quest to prove a point that nobody cares about. Stop it.

Not really bud.

IMO the race for No.1 was over as soon as the Hawks beat Miami and Indy beat Okc.

You thought Orlando could prevent Indy from taking it out, I didn't. Pretty simple.

I would even lay down money that Orlando would not have prevented Indy if that game was relevant. You then threw odds at me, which mean nothing because you thought Orlando could have won.

Damn peeps! It's not even playoffs yet and the tempers are flaring. lol

We all know how this year plays out anyway.

Pacers make it look like they are finally strong enough to beat the Heat, but fall short in the ECF.

Spurs manage to somehow convince their fans that they are still young enough, and running on the motivation of last years loss, and we believe they will win, but lose to OKC in the WCF and Lebron once again teaches Durant that you new more that 2.5 pieces to make the championship puzzle.....

Then we all have to read exhibit3's "suck it haters" posts and we all wonder why we didn't believe the bookies when they put Miami at $3 favourites!

Damn peeps! It's not even playoffs yet and the tempers are flaring. lol

We all know how this year plays out anyway.

Pacers make it look like they are finally strong enough to beat the Heat, but fall short in the ECF.

Spurs manage to somehow convince their fans that they are still young enough, and running on the motivation of last years loss, and we believe they will win, but lose to OKC in the WCF and Lebron once again teaches Durant that you new more that 2.5 pieces to make the championship puzzle.....

Then we all have to read exhibit3's "suck it haters" posts and we all wonder why we didn't believe the bookies when they put Miami at $3 favourites!

Bit early isn't it? Only takes a skeletal bosh to land wrongly on an ankle for every thing to change haha

I'm looking forward to the playoff seeds being settled so we can have a go at picking the 1st round winners. 8/8 last year ;)

I think come the big games Miami will have plenty of motivation.

How about Spurs 0-4 vs Houston huh! Did they Spurs rest players today?

I'm not sure about today but they have not handled Dwight at all this year, which is surprising.

This isn't one of those ones where I think come playoff time the spurs would beat Hou, I think they're in trouble if they meet.

I don't think the Bobcats are going to be as easy as people think. Especially for the heat, they can't guard bigs or point guards and Charlotte are good in both positions. Also if MKG is motivated he can D up anyone, they could surprise some people I think.

I don't think the Bobcats are going to be as easy as people think. Especially for the heat, they can't guard bigs or point guards and Charlotte are good in both positions. Also if MKG is motivated he can D up anyone, they could surprise some people I think.

Agree. Even though Heat won season series 4-0 it was like the Nets getting 4-0 on Heat, really close games that could've easily been Heat winning season matchups 4-0.
One of the games Heat won 99-98, another was 104-96 vs Bobcats

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom