Nowitzki to get MVP Trophy next week according to ESPN

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2866994"]Mavs' Nowitzki will receive MVP trophy next week - NBA - ESPN[/ame]

It appears that the worst-kept secret in the NBA will be out in the open by early next week.

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki, whose coronation as the first European-born Most Valuable Player in NBA history has been expected for weeks, is scheduled to officially receive the MVP trophy at a Tuesday news conference in Dallas, ESPN.com has learned.

The NBA has handed out its past three MVPs -- two straight to Phoenix's Steve Nash after Minnesota's Kevin Garnett won in 2004 -- at the start of the second round. But it's believed the league opted to put some distance between Nowitzki's ceremony and the Mavericks' stunning first-round exit against Golden State.

By the time Nowitzki collects his award, nearly two weeks will have elapsed since the 67-win Mavs became the just the third No. 1 seed in NBA history to lose to a No. 8 seed. The previous two No. 1 seeds to lose so quickly, however, suffered five-game exits as opposed to losing a seven-game series: Seattle in 1994 to Denver and Miami in 1999 to New York.

Said Nowitzki, reached by phone Thursday night: "Nobody's told me anything. You [media] guys have been talking about it for a while, so let's see what happens.

"[But] it's hard to even think about that stuff right now. Everything [from the Golden State series] is still pretty fresh. It's been some tough days since we lost.

"I thought this was such an incredible year. We won 67 games and then to lose in the first round, it just feels so empty right now."

Asked to imagine what an MVP ceremony would be like after such a disappointment, Nowitzki said: "If I do get it, it's an incredible honor. I'm sure 20 years from now or whatever, to see that in the [record] books, it's an amazing achievement. But right now, it's hard. Obviously, you can't feel good about the way our season ended."

Nowitzki averaged 24.6 points, 8.9 rebounds and a career-best 3.4 assists during the regular season and was the only player in the league to shoot at least 50 percent from the field (.502), 40 percent from 3-point range (.416) and 90 percent from the free-throw line (.904). His percentages in each of those categories were career highs, helping Nowitzki secure his third successive berth on the All-NBA first team, which was announced earlier Thursday.

But it all changed in the playoffs against longtime mentor Don Nelson, who crafted a defensive strategy -- which included constant double-teaming, largely by fronting Nowitzki and then sending over help defenders on his catches -- that the 7-footer and Mavs coach Avery Johnson never solved. Nowitzki scored just eight points on 2-for-13 shooting in Dallas' Game 6 elimination and wound up averaging a mere 19.7 points for the series on 38.3 percent shooting and just 21.1 percent on 3s.

Complete ballot results remain unknown, but all indications point to Nowitzki edging his close friend and two-time reigning MVP Nash for the award. In a recent survey of MVP voters conducted by The Arizona Republic, in which the Phoenix newspaper received responses from 96 of the 132 ballot-holders, Nowitzki totaled 57 first-place votes to Nash's 37, with Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers receiving the other two.

The German is poised to join Houston's Moses Malone (in 1979 and 1982) and Baltimore's Wes Unseld (who was rookie of the year and MVP in 1969) as the only MVPs in league history to lose in the first round of the playoffs. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was named MVP in 1976 in his first year in Los Angeles even though his Lakers failed to reach the playoffs that season.

Nowitzki said Thursday that he hasn't been watching much of the playoffs since the Mavs' ouster and that he's still in the process of finalizing his offseason plans, which are likely to include some travel to get a break from the game before joining the German national team for one last run at qualifying for the Olympics. Nowitzki has maintained for years that leading his country to an Olympic berth is his "dream."

In an interview before the playoffs, though, Nowitzki left little doubt that he knew the consequences of another playoff setback, given the level of NBA media coverage and dissection compared to Malone's era and Dallas' collapse last June in the NBA Finals after taking a 2-0 lead over Miami.

"I've said it a million times: We could go 82-0 and we know it means nothing unless we win it all," Nowitzki said on the eve of the Golden State series. "I know what's going on. If we lose [in the playoffs], you guys will say they can't win the big games and they have no leadership."

Yet, Mavericks management has stood staunchly behind its franchise player, pointing out that the 28-year-old is only a year removed from dominating a Game 7 on the road in San Antonio and hanging 50 points on Phoenix in a series-turning game in the conference finals.

"Don't forget that we took away his point guard and his best friend [Nash] and that we went to a totally different style of play [from Nellie to Avery]," Mavs president of basketball operation Donnie Nelson said recently. "Every time we throw something new at Dirk, he masters it."

After the Mavericks cleaned out their lockers for the summer May 5, Nowitzki told reporters: "I always take things very, very hard on myself. I don't need media people to tell me that I did bad. I know I didn't play my best in the playoffs.

"I understand the business by now. If you play well and you win, you're the greatest. And if you lose, you're the worst player in the league. [It's] obviously not the position I want to be in, but it's nothing I can change now. I believe that everything happens for a reason. Hopefully I can learn from this experience."

it would be interesting to see who gets it. either way they both deserve it. can there be a tie?

Anyone think there is a reason they don't give out the MVP straight after the season finishes? I'm a bit suspicious regarding whether any playoffs are the clincher for a player when its close. If Nash wins then my suspcions would be right you would think, although I do think Nash should get it, but he shouldn't have got it last year.

I say a first round loser shouldn't be able to win MVP

Hell Kobe shoulda won it last year then, he lost in 7 games in the first rd, dirk lost in 6 with homecourt and in the biggest upset in NBA playoff history

As it's regular season MVP, the credits go to Dirk for me... massive wins, most home wins, most road wins for Dallas in the league..

it was just very poor play-offs record he's been having.. a player who's been very consistent for 82 regular games and got screwed in first round.. just so unfrotunate.. but this is how it goes in sports, there's only 50-50 chance.. just other 50% was just better, tactical, consistent and lucky..in any sports.

Hell Kobe shoulda won it last year then, he lost in 7 games in the first rd, dirk lost in 6 with homecourt and in the biggest upset in NBA playoff history

I agree Kobe shoulda got it last year...but, first round losers shouldnt affect it what-so-ever as its REGULAR SEASON MVP....Good on Dirk :D

can there be a tie?

Well, Malone and Stockton both won an all-star mvp... don't see why it's not possible... grant hill/jason kidd both won rookie of the year also... stranger things have happened.

I agree with this also... you exit the first round penalties should apply, not saying you don't win it because of this, but maybe they can vote in the playoffs too? But in saying that, it'll open up a whole can of worms such as what if an outsider (a 9th seed) player was to win the award, or be in the running for it? I mean Doc Rivers won coach of the year with a 41-41 record with the magic and not make the playoffs if I remember correctly... I mean what if, Paul Pierce was to average 45.9 ppg on Celtics side yet not make the playoffs?

In saying all this, I believe in corruption and conspiracies in the NBA... if Nash won it I wouldn't be surprised.

Perhaps they bring in a playoff MVP award, as well as the finals MVP award... or an MVP of the series award? (Ok there'd be plenty of awards being handed out, but it will add to bill Walton’s stat lines, and I love bill Walton stats, plus stats in general.. I also love his plethora of analogies and terms he brings into a conversation)

I believe the only reason Dirk is going to win the award this year is because Nash won the past two.

Cmon.. Dirk was awesome this year, he carried the Mavs and put up some outstanding numbers.. it's not a matter of Nash having 1,2 or 3 awards (though he'd deserve one too). Dirks team had a better record blah blah blah, so in saying that his time has come... Though, we all can't be surprised if he doesn't get it. I wonder where Dirk would be presented this award?

I thought I read yesty that Kareem won the MVP and they failed to MAKE the Playoffs???

I'll have to find what I was reading just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

Anyone verify?

I thought I read yesty that Kareem won the MVP and they failed to MAKE the Playoffs???

I'll have to find what I was reading just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

Anyone verify?

Yep, 1976, the first year he was a Laker, ive been doing research.

Its the Regular Season MVP. Dirk could have averaged 1ppg, on 7.3 shooting and fouled out in 3 minutes every game (if he was a kind of Super Danny Fortson) of the 1st round, it doesnt make his regular season any diminished, sheesh, 6 poor games, and his 82 before that are forgotten.

In the topic of a possible Playoffs MVP, it would realistically be near impossible for someone to win it with out leading their team to the Finals, and if you got to the Finals and lost, would you want a Playoffs MVP. When i read about all i can think about is Buckley getting his Norm Smith Medal and looking like a little kid than didnt get the lego for christmas that he wanted. pretty much a good idea, but god it would suck to get one without getting a ring and the Finals MVP as well

congratulations to Dirk and Mavs fans...

he deserved it for his season performance anyway.. 67 wins, massive really!!

and i only got one wrong in ozcard polls, for most improved player, so happy many guess are right...... wrong one is ... I named deron williams instead of montayyyyyyyyyy.. :)

Back
Top Bottom