NEW Member: Just like a chocolate milkshake...

Coco

MVP! MVP! MVP!
Real Name
Coco
eBay User
wildbull1984
Sup All,

Checking this site out, and I am already confused with all the cards there are available out there on the market!

The days of simplicity are gone! Don't even know which cards/brands are even worth collecting at all because there are so many variants! :blink:

Old days, there was UD, FLEER, FLAIR, Skybox, but all prety "basic" compared to todays standards. Just went with the crowd.

MAN I am so far behind, even further than the dinosaur age.

Great, I sound like an old fart who's complaining about the change. :p

Anyway, just filling in.
Based in Melb.
Haven't collected cards for YEARS (since 94/95).
I have heaps of cards which are in boxes but are unsorted.
also got my own "select" cards in a folder with different inserts.
I have had the pleasure in breaking a few boxes in the past, but nostalgia has crept up to me and I am wanting to get into the collecting phase again........:blink:

Now I have been keeping an eye on the newer 07-08 Upper Deck and Fleer Ultra Cards, however I haven't heard many good things about the Fleer Ultra, and I havent heard anything at all about the Upper Decks!

So I do not know where to start on which ones to collect! Can anyone give me a push towards the right direction?

I know the years I want to collect, its just a matter of which brands to go for. Interested in Collecting 03-04 series (for lebron james and dwayne wade rookies), and 07-08.

Please help.
Born-Again-Card-Collector

welcome to the forum! Depends on what you want to collect, just the base, or chasing good quality autographs and GU or patch cards.... but really I'd go with the design you like best :)

Welcome welcome :) I tdepends also upon how much you want to spend...they have high end and low end products now, and a box of Exquisite form 03/04 would probably cost you $1500+ for 5 cards, or you can get cheap boxes for less that $100. All up to you!
Hope you work it out and enjoy getting back into it, I did!

G'Day there mate,Welcome to the forum.Hope you enjoy yourself here.

Welcome welcome :) I tdepends also upon how much you want to spend...they have high end and low end products now, and a box of Exquisite form 03/04 would probably cost you $1500+ for 5 cards, or you can get cheap boxes for less that $100. All up to you!
Hope you work it out and enjoy getting back into it, I did!

well, just an idea, i wouldnt pay more than $200 for a box!

I would like the exquisite, but its WAY out of my price range.

I actually like to collect base cards as I actually hate sets with gaps.
Inserts I would stick to well known players, so lets say if I get an autographed card of an "unknown" rookie, I would trade it for lower-end needed base cards or insets of lower value.

This is my idea.

Shaq cards, I want to collect, and my first card on the agenda is the Short Print Rookie which I have always wanted in my collection from UD 92-93. I've always also wanted the Michael Jordan 92-93 UD base card, I always thought it was the coolest card when I was the kid, and i still do :p AH and also the "IN YOUR FACE" card :p I'm a sucker for those oldies :D

But for the new cards, yeah, mainly base. One thing i really love about the new cards is the patch cards! who would have though ages ago that would be a reality!

OH, just a question! And many of you should know. I remember a kid down my strreet ages ago who was collecting as well, and he once showed me basketball cards that were WET INK, like if you touched it, it would leave fingerprints. THey were called Oil Canvas or something like that. I think they were a TOPPS or FLAIR card. Anyone know which ones im taking about?

Hehehe I hear you with those oldies! That's when I started out back in that day, not spending much if anything, yet I somehow amassed 150+ different jordans :blink: Are to be 10 years old again...hahaha Got all those oldies of MJ as well as boxes of commons. Had fun looking through them again the other day looking for some old base cards of players for people on this forum. Memories!
As for sets, I managed to collect the 93/94 UD series 1 and the 94/95 UD Series 1 back then and have since completed a few of those old school insert sets, in my bucket under 'SETS'. 94 Behind the Glass, 93/94 Fleer Living Legends, a few Skybox insert sets...And was lucky enough to purchase the master set of Skybox EMotion the other day from a member on here. Was stoked!
If I had a double of that MJ or the In Your Face, I'd send it your way...but sorry! :(

EDIT: No idea about 'wet ink' cards :blink:

well, just an idea, i wouldnt pay more than $200 for a box!

I would like the exquisite, but its WAY out of my price range.

I actually like to collect base cards as I actually hate sets with gaps.
Inserts I would stick to well known players, so lets say if I get an autographed card of an "unknown" rookie, I would trade it for lower-end needed base cards or insets of lower value.

This is my idea.

Shaq cards, I want to collect, and my first card on the agenda is the Short Print Rookie which I have always wanted in my collection from UD 92-93. I've always also wanted the Michael Jordan 92-93 UD base card, I always thought it was the coolest card when I was the kid, and i still do :p AH and also the "IN YOUR FACE" card :p I'm a sucker for those oldies :D

Welcome back to the hobby mate - I'm with ya with how complicated things nowadays compared to back in the mid ninety's.. :lol: Back then we also used to have series 1 & series 2....... now that isn't even thought of.... :lol:

welcome mate, your story mirrors most of ours on here; we went through the big craze of the early 90s and then for whatever reason the collecting bug hit us again as we got older.

03/04 sets are going to be tough to collect, simply for the fact that boxes of pretty much any 03/04 product are ridiculously expensive (because of the rookie class of that year). if your after early 90s base sets, shouldnt be a problem, im sure nearly all of us have shoeboxes full of all those fleer/topps/ud/skybox cards.

maybe check out some of the collections on ozcards (most have links in our sigs) and decide what you want to collect that way, whether it be a player like shaq or a set. or even make yourself a collecting project eg. i have my 50 Greatest NBA Players auto set and my old school player collections im trying to complete.

good luck with whichever way you go!

Hi Coco,

welcome to the forum...

many of us returned to the collecting world not too long ago.. so, don't worry about it..

i have no idea about selection of collection.. for me, i collect the player i like or a player from the team i support for a long time...

nowadays, UD and Topps have some exclusive signings, so you have to do a bit of research or just pop a question in "card discussion" section. UD has pretty bad image over the time, but UD produced most products, so we can't stay away from UD as well..

plays like Jordan, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant signed only with UD, so if you are keen collectors or those players, you gotta like UD..

anyway, feel free to ask any questions, this community is helpful and hope you enjoy ur time here.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Never been so enthusiatic, nor felt as welcomed in a forum!

I promise, Video Box breaks in another few weeks :)

Welcome to the forum :wave:, i am also still trying to complete sets from the mid 90's. Make a wantlist and start from there.

Welcome. Good to collect 03/04 but with LBJ/Wade/Carmelo/Bosh, it is very expensive. But you can pick up basic sets off EBay for not too bad prices, and if you avoid the high end sets, it is still very do-able.

Personally I would recommend Exquisite ;)

Hey welcome to the site man hope you have agreat time and maybe well do some deals, good luck on your sets.

Welcome Coco.

Good luck with whatever you choose to collect; I love set as well; Ive got about 12 base sets ranging from the 1989 Fleer to 2006-2007 SP Game Used Authentic Fabrics.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom