JUST JOINED

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Lovely to be speaking with like-minded guys as wife and kids not interested. Been collecting for almost 50 years and my wife says I have an incurable illness which I suspect is probably true :)

Card collecting scene in Florida and USA as a whole can be described in one word "expensive". This is especially true when it comes to professional card grading here. The professional card grading companies are making a fortune because collectors seem to be obsessed with having cards with the best grade possible. I suppose I am the same way to an extent in that I would like all of my cards to be in pristine condition but I am more of a realist - some of my collection is well over 100 years old. Therefore my way of collecting is to complete the set and then worry about improving it after that.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Lovely to be speaking with like-minded guys as wife and kids not interested. Been collecting for almost 50 years and my wife says I have an incurable illness which I suspect is probably true :)

Card collecting scene in Florida and USA as a whole can be described in one word "expensive". This is especially true when it comes to professional card grading here. The professional card grading companies are making a fortune because collectors seem to be obsessed with having cards with the best grade possible. I suppose I am the same way to an extent in that I would like all of my cards to be in pristine condition but I am more of a realist - some of my collection is well over 100 years old. Therefore my way of collecting is to complete the set and then worry about improving it after that.
I hear ya there, expensive but that continues onto postage.
Postage prices have gone through the roof in the last 5 years.
Last few cards I looked at, were for set completion and the postage was 5 times the price of the card ...

Ain't that the truth ? Really bad during the covid times as postal services between USA and Australia ground to a halt. Had to use FedEx on one a=occasion as I needed card in a hurry - now that was expensive. Postage costs are still high but a collector friend and I help each other by using each other's address for purchases. We then send them on when there are a bunch of cards in the pile. Saves a ton on postage costs. Let me know if I can help. Alan

Welcome to the site, being an expat, I have found collecting as long as you have a real challenge with how its all about treating your cards like your super, however I'm just slow in converting to a newer way. Its mega expensive here to collect and well, the dollar does not help that cause. I will say though one of the better ways to combat postage issues is to work together and do bulk shipments. Being your in Florida, the sunshine state that is waiting to be blown off the map with this global weather issues, I hope your keeping your collection sound.

You might be able to help some of us being able to get blaster boxes and boxes or wax in general cheaper, open the boxes and just pack the packs in boxes for flat rate along with other stuff a member here might want or need. However don't feel that you ever need to, everyone has limits.

Many moons ago, we used to have someone in the states that would forward us mailers we would have sent to him, but with COMC and postal forwarding companies, I think people in general are happy with these services. My mom lives in Utah and she is too old to really send any boxes here... Also you being in Florida, I am not sure how close you are to the stadiums, some love getting autos of the up and coming stars or players on rehab. I happen to be one of these people, I have a large collection of hand signed in person (I got them, not selling them as its not worth the issues) when I lived in NYC area. I still look for good deals for hand signed stuff that I can look over and see if its in my eyes close enough to legit, but even hand signed autos are really high in price. If you ever come across any, please feel free to let me know, as I would love to add to my collection. Most are of people that never made it to the bigs, however I was able to get many NYR autos as I lived 10 minutes from their practice arena during the 80s-2000 before I moved here.

Hope you enjoy your stay "and we will leave the light on for ya"... (old motel advert on TV, not sure if they still use that phrase in its commercials, maybe Motel 6? Hell I forget.

:cool:

Hi mate and welcome!

I guess you've probably already seen or have these?

20230816_172946.jpg

20230816_173015.jpg

20230816_173040.jpg

20230816_173057.jpg

Hi, many thanks for the warm welcome and apologies for delay in replying to your post. Been in UK for past few weeks visiting family (and going to a couple of card fairs). Yes, I have these sets but thank you for adding pics as always nice to know what is out there. Currently chasing scarcer vintage Australian horse racing/sports cards including 1926 Craig & Hales (I have some surplus jockeys & racehorses on their way to me from UK that will be available for trade/sale soon) and the Dungey Ralph racehorse set. Always interested to hear from anyone that may be able to help. Happy collecting everyone, Alan

Back
Top Bottom