NBA's Top 50 Players All-Time

basketoz74

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jayson
With all the recent discussion, all hearty in nature, has led me to wonder how the OzCard Members would rate thier Top 50 NBA players of all-time.

Now no doubt in some cases alot of members if not all would not have viewed a great deal of the leagues early players in action, and we base our opinion on stats, biographies, publications and other varied pieces of information.

Now i am of the opinion personally the NBA has never given due credit to the history of the ABA, which shaped the modern game and think that players careers in both leagues should warrant mention.

I look forward to the interest this topic will generate and to see and hear the reasons why particular players have been nominated.

As a researcher of the game, i think the feedback and information that can be and is exchanged is always beneficial to both the savvy hoops-head as well as the highlight-reel fan.

My personal Top 10, which i will add to in the next day or so -

#1 Magic Johnson
#2 Michael Jordan
#3 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
#4 Wilt Chamberlin
#5 Julius Erving
#6 Bill Russell
#7 Larry Bird
#8 Oscar Robertson
#9 Bob Pettit
#10 Jerry West

Mmmmm........Explanation PLS on why Magic is considered the greatest player of all-time????and why slam Dunker Erving is ahead of Russell and Bird? LOL

Well my esteemed and long standing colleague, do me the favour of responding to the numerous questions i asked in regards to your posts in at least three other threads (which i may add you made a point of stating you wouldn't bother to either read or respond to..but seem to have got of to a flyer right here), and my explanation shall be forthcoming.

However....my point in regards to your trolling like behaviour and nature is clearly apparent and demonstrated to one and all.

Lets get this discussion underway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh oh!!!!!

Here come the can of worms.:lol:

Not being rude here but i'm certain this topic has been raised a few times in the past and almost made it into the heated discussions bin.

But i would be more than happy to contribute & put my list forward.:thumbsup:

lol, always a controversial topic here.
where is john havlicek bro?

A great player, no question his record speaks for itself, and along with the success the Celtics had, while he would certainly make my overall list i regard personally different factors, did they change the game...ala Erving style....

I would never consider the view of another man in regards to the greatness of a particular player to be lesser judgment then mine or better then mine, every person considers different elements when making a call on certain players, some through statistical breakdowns, some through having viewed the player/s, others through personal idolization as an example, what routinely happens when Michael Jordan is mentioned on this board.

See to me Michael Jordan was a great player, no question, he achieved greatness for himself, is team-mates and his ball-club that is not in dispute, apparently he made his fellow players better, and personally i question that in some cases, did those players ever play better before they joined the Bulls or after they left the Bulls....were they better team players within Jackson's system or just naturally took a secondary role because it served the team and the system in place best?

See this is my opinion, that is not a slight on Jordan, in anyway shape or form, but for example Ron Harper was a solid and productive player prior to coming to the Bulls...how did Jordan make him better, was he better player on the Lakers roster when he was there after playing with Jordan.....

Now to my #1 selection Magic Johnson in my humble opinion was a better player, on the basis that he was truly a team player, he deferred the play/shot, created play/s for his team-mates night-in and night-out, he was truly a multi-positional player, which allowed his team the ability to utilise his talents and his team-mates talents to a better level and succesful level.

He played under five head coaches and won championships under two of them, and went to the finals under three of them, demonstrating adaptability to the system placed before him.

He re-established the entertainment component to the game, with showtime and really in my opinion ensured one of the last true rivalries that existed in the NBA with between the Lakers and Celtics - Johnson/Bird, is remembered for posterity.

Also for the record Jordan23, he went thirteen seasons without missing the play-offs which surprisingly enough was his entire career, and never had a losing season to boot, that included a worst season off 53-29, pretty impressive eh??....not that, that makes him a great player...but that was just a little interesting note for your referance...:D:D

There's nothing wrong with repeat posts, as I think the last discussion was quite some time ago. Where the problems lay, are people start targeting others with their posts. See Post #4.

If you keep your posts on topic, and to the point, there's no reason why this will turn into a shit fest.

Good discussion point, I always like to hear who people class as their top 10, or whatever.

A great player, no question his record speaks for itself, and along with the success the Celtics had, while he would certainly make my overall list i regard personally different factors, did they change the game...ala Erving style....

Ahh but you need to dig more and more research for you. :thumbsup:

I'll easily help you out with this comment as I know what I'm talking about on the subject and mainly use facts as well as my adoration of the man.

He in fact did change the way the game was played. Although Frank Ramsey became the first real 6th man, a ploy not really used up till that point Havlicek early on made it his own. Taking what normally would be a starter and using him like they did. And Havlicek set standards for his worth ethic and conditioning at the time. Just watch his play and he is a perpetual motion machine. Lean, fit and way more muscle mass than the other white players and a lot of the black players at the time. Dude was fit!

There are no 'what ifs' involved with the man. Bird hurt his back, McHale was lazy blah blah blah. Hondo just played a long time. Just like how Jordan was a winner creating wins, has a swag of rings, leads the Celtics in a number of stats. Thats no mean feat considering our history and past greats. Its just rare to have a superstar so workman like so apart from some highlight clips he gets forgotten a bit more but talk to anyone from the era and they place him up there in the top ten players of all time. Like you say about Erving he certainly bought a lot of change to the game and success. Remember this is a guy that bridged the gap from the Cousy, Russell till Cowens era and won. He almost made it to see Bird if Bird had of left college when he should of instead of taking that year out.

More of a history lesson later if you like :lol::wave:

And if you rate Magic coz of the transformation of what he did to the league and how it brought back rivalry and fans then you have to add to the list and rank HIGH up there

to put it simply.

Wilt - His rivalry with Russell even transcended that of Magic and Bird.

Mikan- Without him we may not have an NBA as we see it today. Plain and simple.

But neither you rate??

And Jordan man only considers Dr J a dunker :blink: Dude go out and buy some dvds and learn a little :thumbsup:

I'll enjoy debating old school as I know my shit :D

but as basketoz74 said it's his personal top 10. not the offical take it or else top 10

mine would be

1 NIQUE
2 NIQUE
3 NIQUE
4 NIQUE
5 NIQUE
6 NIQUE
7 NIQUE
8 NIQUE
9 NIQUE
10 Bob Pettit

lol :)

Well he did say he enjoys debate. And I'm fine with yours Col. You get the washed up Nique from SA LOL

im also of the opinion the doctor was slightly overrated...although i would never simplify his talent as being that of just a 'dunker'. hell, i even reckon kareem was slightly overrated (now THAT should generate some discussion:p).

i dont think i could kick any player out of the current 50, but theres some current players who will without a doubt be added to the list when they do the top 75 or whatever. Kobe, Iverson, KG, Duncan, Kidd will be there, and its pretty safe to say bron too. and i dare say CP3 will end up one of the all time great PG too, Howard may have trouble, if he doesnt win any MVPs/championships, despite themonster stats he is goping to be putting up every year. Nash i hate to say probably woudnt get in without a ring, or at least another MVP. players like t-mac and dirk will also narrowly miss the cut.

Please... at that stage Nique looked like the grandpa from The Cosby show :blink::p

could be worse could look like this :D:D:D

bird_2003_2.jpg
controversy_dawn.jpg
:blink::blink: :p:p

Back
Top Bottom