MJ mail day....

hegotgame15

90's MJ collector.
Real Name
Gary
I have been chasing an MJ Ultra stars BGS 9.5 for about 6 months....
I have missed 1 at auction and 1 as a buy it now....
I was willing to pay close to $500, but never got a chance to get one!
So i ended up buying a PSA 10 in hopes of crossing it over for a BGS 9.5!
I paid ALOT less for the PSA and i'm very confident its good for a BGS 9.5 cross over!
This card is just amazing under lights!
Super happy with it!
MJ%20ultra%20stars%20PSA10_zps60f78d4d.jpg

dude! do not swap it over to BGS. have guys never learnt that PSA is the better company and has more credibility than BGS...plus have you not seen the damage BGS do to cards? just keep it PSA mate.

dude! do not swap it over to BGS. have guys never learnt that PSA is the better company and has more credibility than BGS...plus have you not seen the damage BGS do to cards? just keep it PSA mate.
I've never had an issue with all 4 of my submissions to BGS?
I have about 20 PSA 10's and about 100 BGS 9.5's....
only 3 of the PSA 10's are in good enough condition to cross over to BGS 9.5....
I don't see how PSA has more credibilty then BGS if PSA aren't as tuff on grades, which they are clearly not.....
Have you got a link to what your talking about???
Got me worried now.....

OT: and old member here, Chadjaja sent in a Larry Bird Auto to get slabbed by BGS, they bent it in half, then slabbed it! Nuff said!

I was going to LOL at you Gary posting a PSA MJ, ha ha. Until I read about your intentions to cross it over. GL if you do decide to do it. Sweet card!! Bit of a shame to break it out of the slab it's in, but.

Love those inserts. The embossed surface with that Refractor like rainbow shine is stunning under the light!

On the matter of PSA vs BGS... it's really a personal preference. I've collected both and personally prefer BGS 99% of the time. If we're talking vintage Pre-80's, then PSA wins hands down. Vintage cards do much better in PSA slabs and typically sell for a higher amount on the secondary market. However, anything modern from the 90's and up... BGS does sell for a higher amount than PSA's do. Also, from my personal experience I believe BGS is definitely the more difficult/harder grader. I've tried cross-grading 3 PSA 10's hoping to get a BGS 9.5 but they all came back as BGS 9's instead. Plus I never liked how the cards moved around in the thin PSA holders. BGS slabs are much much thicker/sturdier and I like how they are snugged inside a sleeve so the cards don't move around.

Love those inserts. The embossed surface with that Refractor like rainbow shine is stunning under the light!

On the matter of PSA vs BGS... it's really a personal preference. I've collected both and personally prefer BGS 99% of the time. If we're talking vintage Pre-80's, then PSA wins hands down. Vintage cards do much better in PSA slabs and typically sell for a higher amount on the secondary market. However, anything modern from the 90's and up... BGS does sell for a higher amount than PSA's do. Also, from my personal experience I believe BGS is definitely the more difficult/harder grader. I've tried cross-grading 3 PSA 10's hoping to get a BGS 9.5 but they all came back as BGS 9's instead. Plus I never liked how the cards moved around in the thin PSA holders. BGS slabs are much much thicker/sturdier and I like how they are snugged inside a sleeve so the cards don't move around.

Well said, its pretty much my view on BGS vs PSA,but i have noticed alot of people on this forum don't see it that way...
I guess once you have been burnt sending a card in and it gets damage from the grader, i would probably not like that company too much myself!
Rare23air83
I have spent many hours on your site!
Its simply the best site on MJ cards i have seen, well done!
I'll add some suggestions on your showcase thread.

I only collect 90's MJ inserts so its BGS 9.5's all the way for me....
I only ever buy PSA 10's if i can't get what i'm after in BGS 9.5...
Next on my list is:
Thunder and lightning, A cut above,Star power supreme,Premium 3D's,Linchpins....
All in BGS 9.5.....
I already know i have no chance on the Thunder and lightning, as its a pop of 2 and both will never be for sale again...
A cut above 9.5 won't be cheap, doubt i'll get it under $1500
Star power supreme 9.5 $1000-$1500
Premium 3D's 9.5 $350-$600(should have bought your ungraded one)
Linchpins 9.5 $1000+
Gee'z....
Need to start saving!

that simply makes me sick!
PSA slabs make me sick also!
I think i'm pretty safe sending a PSA 10 slabed card, as its will only be removed from the slab, if it will get a minimum grade of BGS 9.5.
I now see why people on this forum hate BGS so much.
Might have to rethink the way i send things to be graded now.

Awesome pick up mate and best of luck moving it over to BGS. I'm hoping to submit some kemp rc's to them soon in hopes of getting the first kemp bgs 10's, so hopefully we both have a good experience with them!

Yea I read that story awhile ago. Terrible.

But... there will ALWAYS be horror stories in ANY service oriented business. That's talking about all types of businesses around the world. The above story was terrible indeed, but I wouldn't rule off an entire company that's been running for several years doing an excellent job establishing itself as the #1 grading company in the world. Yea they have let trimmed cards fall through the cracks and cards have been ruined before, but I'd say a VERY low percentage of ALL the cards they received and graded turned out like that. Besides, they're all human employees just like any other business and they make mistakes also. The sheer amount of volume BGS gets must be overwhelming at times too.

Of course I'm using my own experience with BGS as they've never mishandled or lost any of the cards I've submitted.

And Hairy... I COMPLETELY agree with you about the Retro stuff. I read over on BO about it and saw those lunatics Gio and Orange attack you constantly about it. They are a joke.

just sent my first lot to BGS. had three jordan living legends sent hoping for a 9.5 on two of them, (the third had a tiny chip of foil missing, wasnt expecting 9.5 in that one) they all got 9's. then had a jordan top ten from 93-94 hoops that i used to carry around in my pocket at school(in top loader) and it got a 9 too... in total sent 18 cards mostly pack fresh from 2010-11 ultimate. all got 9's. as far as i could tell they were perfect in every way. was thinkin they must of been out of 9.5 stickers that week.. ;);) sub grades will be very interesting. makes me wonder what it takes to get a 9.5 let alone a 10. will post photos once i get the cards back.

just sent my first lot to BGS. had three jordan living legends sent hoping for a 9.5 on two of them, (the third had a tiny chip of foil missing, wasnt expecting 9.5 in that one) they all got 9's. then had a jordan top ten from 93-94 hoops that i used to carry around in my pocket at school(in top loader) and it got a 9 too... in total sent 18 cards mostly pack fresh from 2010-11 ultimate. all got 9's. as far as i could tell they were perfect in every way. was thinkin they must of been out of 9.5 stickers that week.. ;);) sub grades will be very interesting. makes me wonder what it takes to get a 9.5 let alone a 10. will post photos once i get the cards back.

Here are two very detailed explanations of how they grade:

http://reviews.ebay.com/The-Basics-of-Beckett-Grading-Services?ugid=10000000000026891

http://www.beckett.com/estore/helpsys/viewarticle.aspx?ArticleId=257

They use magnifying scopes under very bright light to check the card out in full detail all around. And if I'm not mistaking, the card needs to be graded by 3 separate graders so the grading isn't skewed. It's definitely not easy getting a Gem Mint, let alone a Pristine grade.

yea i did alot of research before picking cards to send only wanting 9.5's (didnt expect all of them to be) most were from a case of ultimate i busted myself. striaght from the pack into top loaders.. knowing that pack fresh, perfect to the eye( i my opinon) cards can only get a 9, i wont be sending cards there again.

I've sent cards to BGS on 4 occasions, I've never had a problem in terms of delivery or receiving my cards back. I've not always agreed with or understood how they get a grade but then again I'm no expert. Also when I send cards to be graded it's because I want them stabbed and usually (not always) its because they are for me to keep, not to sell or to gain a higher value.

There are horror stories on both sides, I've heard bad ones from PSA also, it's called human error and it happens. However not to open old wounds BGS should have taken responsibility for Hairy's wilt auto and compensated him.

One more thing, just because a card/s is fresh pack pulled straight into a top loader doesn't mean it's Gem Mint, they are still handled once printed and put into packs. Both Panini and UD QA is terrible.

Back
Top Bottom