Keeping Postage Costs Down?

pnoy

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Vel
I sent a trading card to the US and it cost me $7.20 to post ($1 bubble envelope, $6.20 post fee).

Is there a way I could have reduced the cost for overseas postage? What about local postage?

Also, is it necessary to fill up the Customs form when a trading card is mailed overseas?

Thanks in advance

i generally just put stamps on and stick it in the mailbox, no customs form, and it arrives problem free 99% of the time.
4 stamps = $2.40 + small padded envelope about $1 =$3.40

i have heard USA has just had or is about to have a postage price rise though, i dont know if this is going to effect us sending things to the USA, or just what we pay to receive things.

In the past I would ask for a letter stamp for USA, the current price seems to be $2.35, and put that on the smallest padded envelope.

At the Post Office they might have a big cardboard piece with a hole in it to test the size of the mail, and the smallest padded envelope with a card or two in plastic holders should slide through for that so that makes it only a letter cost. That is as long as it doesn't weigh too much.

Doing it as a letter, there is no customs form and it is just posted in the mail box. All my mail I sent like that got to its destination.

Looks like Australia Post has increased their ridiculous prices again for shipping large letters overseas:

$2.35 for <50g
$6.20 for 50-249g
$13.40 for 250-499g

Anything above 500g is considered a parcel and you will need to pay even more.

I think the key with keeping cost down comes down to the following 2 points:

1) Keep the package as flat as possible, that is, no more than 2cm. Otherwise, it will be considered a parcel. A few ways to do this:
- divide cards into multiple piles
- use a bigger envelope, there is no extra charge

2) Keep the weight down. A few ways to do this:
- do not over-use toploaders, no need to use toploader on every card (unless very precious), just put toploaders on the top/bottom ends of the pile while keeping the in-between cards secure
- use the correct size toploader for the card. Toploaders come in different thickness and they weigh different.
- do not use fillers as padding. If you have the correct toploader, you don't need any extra protection.
- use the correct size padded envelope, like toploaders, they come in all sizes and weights.

And here are a couple of general rules to make sure you will keep the postage down:

1) Weigh your package first before you seal the envelope. Ideally, you own a scale or you can always borrow the ones at the fruit/veges section in your supermarket or the post office.

2) Never post anything at the post office over the counter. You can avoid the ring test where your package will be fed through a hole to see if it is a large letter or parcel. You can also avoid being asked too many questions about what is inside your parcel.

3) Buy stamps and decide how many to use yourself. If you have followed all the above steps, you should have a pretty good idea how many stamps you need to put on your package anyway. So there is no need to bother anyone.

4) If your package is a few grams over the limit or 1-2mm too thick for a large letter, don't worry about it. Why? because no one really cares, throughout the journey of your package, it can get wet and increase in weight. With the recent price increase, I would definitely try to keep things under 50g.

5) If you are posting something that is around 80g, you may want to send 2 separate packages instead to save $1.50.

6) Re-use toploaders and padded envelopes. If you buy cards, you should have a lot of them already. Most padded envelopes arrive in pretty decent condition and if you peel them at the mouth (rather than ripped it apart or cutting it), you have just scored a perfectly fine padded envelope for re-use. Not only is this environmentally friendly, you have also just saved yourself $1.

Anyway, I hope these points helped. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.

Just a thought, not that im encouraging this, but im just curious, australia post you to stamp the postage stamps with a date and place it was sorted, you dont see them marking the stamps anymore, how do they know if a postage stamp has been re used?

Just a thought, not that im encouraging this, but im just curious, australia post you to stamp the postage stamps with a date and place it was sorted, you dont see them marking the stamps anymore, how do they know if a postage stamp has been re used?

They are supposed to mark all the stamps but sometimes they forget to. That's the only way they can tell, so you are free to reuse any unmarked stamps. More savings...

wow really? i cant remember the last time i saw a domestic package with a mark on the stamp, there not using some sort of invisible ink?

wow really? i cant remember the last time i saw a domestic package with a mark on the stamp, there not using some sort of invisible ink?

I think u r giving too much credit to the level of technology that Australia Post has.

Back
Top Bottom