Keeping High End Cards Safe

adz2332

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Adam
Ive been looking over my collection and im not that happy with the way some of my higher inserts are stored.
Currently the are in a penny sleeve and then in a ultra pro 9 sleever, then in a folder and away out of the sun light...

BUT im not that happy with it.... It just doesnt seem enough when you have cards worth over $100 dollars all the way up to the Primus captain sig.

What do you guys use??
What are my other options??

Any links or pics of what you use etc would be excellent :thumbsup:

I use the same method as you do, and i agree that it does seem a waste to keep them hidden from view most of the time. But sunlight is the worst thing possible for signatures, so displaying them is just not worth the risk.

Perhaps display your higher end non-sigs and keep the others tucked away for a special occasion!!

Get some magnetic holders, the new Upper Deck ones have UV protection. Great way to display them. At the least for the higher end sigs, they should be in magnetic holders in a cupboard or something if u don't want to expose them to sunlight. Leaving them in pocket pages is to risky in my opinion. To easily bent.

Yer EASLY bent is my worry.
Magnetic holders? Not the screw down type?
Can you link me to a pic of them plz??
I was thinking of putting my captain sig and red, plus draft cards. anything around the $40 up wards mark...

Its not so much for displaying as i most probably wont. Just want to keep them safe!

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Also do you have them in penny sleeves also in these magnitic ones etc?

What i do with my PC's is any GU, autos and cards worth over $50 go into screwdowns and all others go into coutn boxes (that hold 200 cards)

NWCardSupplies

Don't need penny sleeves, straight into the holder. Magnetic holders and screwdowns are virtually the same thing, just magnetic holders are eaiser to open and close. They still stay closed very stirdly, i've dropped mine before and they still haven't opened, but if u want 100% surety that ya gonna drop it but it wont come out, then go the screwdown.

my problem with them is, do they move around in it at all? like if u were to shack it would they move?

Also with the screwdowns and such. They touch the card and touch the sig. has anyone had any probs with smudging or getting sticky etc?

They have a bit of room, not much at all though, like a millimeter. And if you looked, they have recessed corners, so even if the card does move around, the corners stay perfectly crisp.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

The pic on the links small, give me a minute, i'll take a photo of some of mine

Camera didn't pick up the image properly, to much reflection from the holders, so just scanned them. All cards fit snug, and if you look closely, you'll see what I mean about the recessed corners on the inside, so that the corners of the cards aren't touching anything, but the cards still stay steady. If you buy any, you'll only want 35pt, as all AFL signatures seem to be standard size. Basketball's where it gets tricky and they begin to vary.

scan0001.jpg

Ahhh i see that yer!! they look good may have to get a heap for sure!!

PS great cards to!!!

Is there any where in Aus that sells these for a decent price? Or just ebay it up?

Best bet would be to contact Colin at NWCardsupplies, his international, but his pretty great with postage. He'll jam as much stuff as he can fit into the postage for you, will contact you if there's still room left etc, so you can really maximise international postage. Think last time I bought off him he sent me about 20 magnetic holders, some of those were thick though, so you could probably fit more if you really wanted to go all out and protect all ya quality signatures, or even want to do a group buy for people on the AFL boards.

If you're only after a few, ebay might be the way to go. But if u buy bulk off Colin, your looking at half the price.

definetly agree that magnetic holders are the way to go,
as with screwdowns!

For me i enjoy displaying my cards and have put them on a shelf which gets no direct sunlight, and hardly open the curtins too much.
I just prefer to see my highends such as my cuz sigs and paul pierce cards as its just a waste to leave them stored away in my opinion,
i prefer them to be like memorabilia and display them off.

But each person has their own way and reasons behind their cards,
but the magnetic holders offer great protection!

ive been debating the storage/show off method for weeks now.
i did the whole buy two boxes of 9 page sleeves thing and every card in a penny too...
but i dunno
base sets its ok for
flash looking stuff its not that great is it.
what i think i might do is put all gu and sigs and any cards i really like in cases and then u can get little round velco discs that are sticky backed, and they are pretty sticky (good enough to hold heavy cards, but still would peel off the hardcase.)
i was thinking of putting one of the velcos on the bottom edge of the holder and sticking/velcro-ing it to the other one thats stuck to a surface.
that way the card actually stands upright on its own and is displayed.
the question is where to display them.
i was going to get a (cheapo pine) bookcase or better still make something thats not so deep (comes out from the wall only a few inches) and put them on that.
then ALL base were going to go into sleeves and toploaders and be stored flipstyle in a nice wooden case with felt on the bottom and sections for years.
was just a crazy idea for down the track.

Lol yer ive been trying to think of something myself.
Might get a few magnetic ones and see sizes etc and come up with ideas from there.

Id certainly feel alot better them being in these and not soft sleeves!

so the differance between 35 and 20 is the thickness of card u can fit in it?
Only being 20 does that reali PUSh the sig into the plastic? mayb smudging them or after awhile if u were to take them out would the sig stick?

No peeny sleeve in them?

No they dont push on the sig, the recessed bottom of the holder is slightly thicker than a standard card, I have the Herald Sun sig in a soft sleeve as the cards are smaller than normal and this stops it moving up and down and side to side, all my bball sigs are in these types of holders and I have had no problem with them at all.
Rob

Back
Top Bottom