Just thought It'd be cool to know

hobbibox

The Purrfectionist!
Real Name
Cal
eBay User
Hobbibox
I was posting a reply on another thread and thought it would be cool to find out why people collect the player they do....ie: when u first saw them ...or they play for your fav team ect ect...

I'll copy and paste mine from the other thread to kick it off here.

T.J Ford
I remember the first time I saw him play for milwaukee it was a 2 night double header against the mavs....(3 nights later he damaged his spine) he had 8 assists in 7 mins of play in the 1st Q ....and some of his passes had to be seen to be believed....thats when I decided to get everything he had....(btw the mavs smashed them in both games). I have his cards and a signed jersey and 2 pairs of signed shoes (1 milwaukee PE's and 1 Texas Longhorns pair) I love the little guy.....
Oh p.s check this shit out........right in Kamans face

I collect Denham Brown autos cos I like him and saw him play for Connecticut a few times and play well, do the simple, team things that make a good role player; he is a poor mans Shane Battier

I also look pretty regularly for any nice looking David Robinson, George Gervin or Bernard King cards; i love Robinson cos he is a Spurs Legend, same for Gervin, who was smooth as silk and King was a scoring machine; i remember seeing some old footage of him years back and being amazed how he was a cold blooded scorer.

I collect grant hill mainly because he was the most collectible player (aside from Jordan) at the time, and he has good image / character... not the sort of player who will be charged with gun possession / carrying marijuana / domestic violence, etc...

Overall, he's a good role model

His injury, while it's really bad for his career, actually made his cards cheaper, and I managed to snap some cards at bargain price.

I don't imagine his cards will go up in value (if anything they may decline once he retires), so this collection is strictly for hobby purpose.

I started collecting Steve Nash after being in awe of his brilliant passing ability and the way he seems to hit the big shots at the end of games.

I like the fact that he is also great team player, a great leader, down to earth and a tough competitor.

Cheers
Matt

So many great moments in Patricks career.

I consider myself lucky to have witnessed the rookie years of NBA's greatest players, but Ewing's story of persaverience, hard work, determination, motiviation & dedication is what i admired about his game, but what i admired the most about Ewing was his pure talent.

He grew up in Kingston, Jamaica playing soccer & cricket never to touch a Basketball until his early teens when he moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Being born in the same era as Jordan hurt his Championship hopes but the 1994 Finals against Houston was the most memorable moment for me.
This was Ewing's first Finals appearance & the two best centres Ewing/Olajuwon were going head-to-head.

Ewing & Olajuwon's last Finals meeting was back in college during the 1984 NCAA Final series & Ewing led the Hoyas to become the 84 champs, 1994 was Hakeem's payback. Watching this 7 game series was amazing but i was confused as to why Houston played the first 2 home games then the Knicks hosted the next 3 with the last 2 played in Houston.:rolleyes:

Here's a link to bore you all further - the tribute video -:thumbsup:

dwight howard,penny hardaway, horace grant..

i collect them because they play(ed) for magic.. i like orlando magic and many players who played for orlando.. they alll are good role-models and play pretty good basketball..

tim duncan, chris bosh

apart from magic, i like players with big presence and good leadership.. once again, they are good players on and off the court.. the main reason i like duncan is when i started watching my first game, he scored 2 points more than entire wake forest team in half time to pace with the score with still less FG attempts and against UNC's jamison, vince carter team..

Bosh is just an amazing player.. and you may notice many of the players i collect are good defensive players with usually good shot blockers..

:)

MJ for obvious reasons as well as the fact that he was the sole reason I live and breathe basketball. IMO the greatest sports athlete to ever exist along with Muhamid Ali.

Channing Frye: Saw a lot of potential when he came into the league, had a very average season last year with Curry healthy and playing well. Hopefully he will have a chance to shine in the near future whether he stays with NY or not. He also brings a lot of energy onto the court.

Tayshaun Prince

I really got into collecting Tayshaun Prince after the 2004 NBA Finals victory!!! Why I strickly like him more then any other Piston is because of the critical block he made on Reggie Miller back in the 2004 playoffs!!! When I saw that game on tv, I could swear he must of ran track in high school because he ran like a track and field star on that play just to block one simple layup. Well when it was all said and done during the Pistons miracle 2003-2004 season, it ended up leading to an NBA Finals victory which was unexpected!!! I will never ever forget that play as long as I live. That play had me jumping out of my seat acting hyper in a nutty unbelievable way and amazed he did that!!! Tayshaun Prince is quiet, surprising, and determined for continued success in this league!!! Earning an NBA ring in 2 years is not to horrible so far. I hope for more good things to come out of him!!!

Jason Richardson

After having an unforgettable experience meeting him in person 3 years ago, I started getting more into collecting him. To make a long story short, I had a bad through the mail (ttm) experience with him on an auto and I got lucky to meet up with him in person to get it corrected!!! He remembered it and graciously signed 12 cards for me in person!!! I even got a photo with him and I also met his agent that day to which was an unforgettable experience!!! I never expected his agent to be so nice to all of the fans/collectors there!!! Ever since that experience, I am actively collecting him to!!!

My NBA in person autograph experiences:

I am sure everybody has been wondering to know this one so I thought it would be best suited for this thread. Before the 05-06 NBA season, I never really pursued NBA ip autos much or was much into it. I somewhat got into it back in 99-00 and I only went to like 1-3 games a year. After graduating high school 2 years ago, I ended up downstate at a college that was near the NBA team within my driving range. So for the 05-06 NBA season, I thought I would try something new. I got a ticket plan of about 10 NBA games for the season and I really enjoyed the expereinces. So as you seen in my post I tried for more NBA games this 06-07 NBA regular season and I did alot better then I thought I would!!! College has been going okay so I been able to make it to games on a moderate basis. Since this has been going well, I may likely try to pursue autos of everybody in the NBA. What I have in store next season is very well unknown at this time.

Back
Top Bottom