Jason Terry Wins Sixth Man Award

mrwhite11

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Liam
jterry.67x92.jpg
Jason terry and his frighteningly large cranium:eek: win the kia sixth man award heres the article

Jason Terry is a Mavericks' cornerstone, a huge reason behind the team's success and a favorite who endears himself to fans with his boundless enthusiasm. Dirk Nowitzki, though, wanted more out of him and relayed as much last summer.

When the most successful and decorated player in franchise history talks, it's a good idea to listen.

"He let me know that I needed to be more consistent with my play, not only in big games, but overall throughout the season," Terry said. "That was a big emphasis for me."

Terry responded with easily the most productive season during a five-year run in Dallas, and arguably the best in a 10-year career. Those covering the NBA took notice, officially naming Terry the Sixth Man of the Year presented by Kia Motors on Friday.

There really wasn't another choice. In his first full season as the Mavericks' designated sixth man, Terry proved to be instant offense off the bench. His scoring average of 19.6 points a game was the second-highest of his career and his best with Dallas. Terry shot 46.3 percent from the floor, including 36.6 percent from beyond the 3-point arc, and added 3.4 assists in 33.7 minutes.

Despite playing starter's minutes, Terry was a true sixth man. He started just 11 of 74 games, with most of the first-team assignments necessitated by injuries to teammates. He didn't waste much time lighting it up after checking in, ringing up 33 of his 40 20-point games as a reserve. The Mavericks were 18-8 in the 26 games where Terry single-handedly outscored the opposing bench.

"A lot of times the team isn't playing very well or the energy level is not where it needs to be, and you're the guy they're counting on to come in and provide that spark," Terry said. "I take a lot of pride in it, and I do whatever I can to help this team win."

Terry began to transition into a sixth man last season under former coach Avery Johnson, but Rick Carlisle made the move permanent in his first year on the Dallas sidelines. Terry was quick to credit Carlisle for defining his role.

"Coach put me in a good position," Terry said. "When I do come into the game, he makes it a note to run my play, call my number. I'm not sitting there stagnant."

Terry, who joins Antawn Jamison (2004) and Roy Tarpley (1988) as a Sixth Man winner for the Mavericks, also had to buy into the job. For someone who never averaged fewer than 16.7 points as a starter, taking a perceived back seat couldn't have been easy. So why has Terry thrived as a sixth man?

"His willingness to embrace it,'' Carlisle said. "A lot of star-caliber players would struggle with that.''

As a Seattle native, Terry grew up a fan of former sixth man winner Ricky Pierce. Terry has also tried to pattern his game, or at least his impact on the game, on recent winners Leandro Barbosa and Manu Ginobili.

"Ginobili's been a guy the last two or three years who has embraced that and looked at it as a way to help his team,'' Carlisle said. "That's a great example for all guys in our league.

"Jet would be that way, anyway. He's got an infectious spirit. He's got a motor. He's one of those guys who has the ability to come off the bench and really get in a mode just like he's starting the game and it's given us a huge lift.''

Nowitzki asked for consistency. During a season in which the Mavericks struggled at times to find it, Terry delivered.

This is a few days old news - but he definately deserved it.

And with the Mavs looking 90% likely for the next round they should be thanking the Jet for some solid play all season.

good on him. I like the guys attitude and on court ability. Never noticed his massive head until you posted that photo. I think the headband tones it down on court...lol

yeh i think hes better than half the starters though :lol:

it's strategy.

you don't want Kidd, Terry, Howard and Dirk all out there.

then when you bring off the bench who gives points in a hurry?

all second units need a guy who will score most of the buckets otherwise they can easily falter and lack contribution.

yeh nobody really came close in the end... hes a real spark for them
if manu wasnt injured im sure it would have been an exciting race for sixth man of the year

Back
Top Bottom