Japanese/Aussie Baseball card buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

graymice

Collects Aussies in the USA (MLB, NBA, NFL, WNBA)
Real Name
Adam
eBay User
graymice
G'day guys,

I'm trying to arrange the purchase of a bunch of Japanese cards of Aussie MLBers (Micheal Nakamura, Brad Thomas, Chris Oxspring and Jeff Williams). This is mainly for my own collection, but I thought I'd see if anybody else was after any Japanese cards from these players? It'll mainly be recent commons and parallels. Looks like they will cost about $3-$4 per card.

Is anybody else interested in these?

If so, I'll see if I can purchase a few extra cards to put up for sale. Not after any firm commitments to buy from anyone, just wanting to see if there's any interest, and if so, I'll grab some extras.

cheers,

Adam

Hey Adam. Don't mean to be rude but how come so pricey? Are they rare-er (is that a word?) than MLB cards?

Mark.

Hey Adam. Don't mean to be rude but how come so pricey? Are they rare-er (is that a word?) than MLB cards?

Mark.

Dunnow about rare, but just hard to get a hold of for English speakers. Part of the real problem is the language barrier, which makes it very limited as to where you can get cards, or even know where to find anywhere cheaper. Sites like Rob's Japanese cards and Prestige Collectibles do sell Japanese cards of gaijin via English websites, and charge a minimum of $US3 each, but their ranges are very limited, maybe only stocking a couple of sets, whereas there are probably 20 or 30 card sets per year in Japan. I found that you either need a local or somebody who can read Japanese to hunt down anything more than a couple of cards. The guy that used to help me was a keen Baseball follower in Japan, and simply kept an eye out when he was chasing up stuff for his collection at local stores.

Depending on the exchange rate and set, from what I've seen the Aussie "Commons" are usually about $1-$3 equivalent each in Japan. (One Micheal Nakamura card is priced at over 95,000 yen - that's nearly $100! Admittedly, it is a jersey card though) Add in the fact that some of the cards come from boxed sets as well, which require somebody to purchase and then break down the sets - usually a premium on these cards. Add in S&H costs. Plus a little something for the locals who help me track down the cards. It all adds up.

Not sure if the prices are typical or not. Jeff Williams is playing for the Hanshin Tigers, which are a fairly popular team, plus I believe he's reasonably popular. I believe that Micheal Nakamura is pretty popular as well.

OK, thanks for that Adam. I might be up for some of the cheaper Brad Thomas, Chris Oxspring and Jeff Williams cards.

Mark.

OK, thanks for that Adam. I might be up for some of the cheaper Brad Thomas, Chris Oxspring and Jeff Williams cards.

Mark.

Still probably a few weeks away til I can get an order in, and then a couple of weeks after that til I get the cards. I'll see if I can pick up some extras.

As I said, no pressure on anyone to commit to buying anything, just wanted to see if anyone else was interested (and in whom) to know whether to grab any extras.

Just a quick note to let you know that I've finally managed to get the cards. I've got about 60 Japanese cards of Aussie players (Jeff Williams, Dave Nilsson, Michael Nakamura, Brad Thomas and Chris Oxspring) coming through in the next week or so (fingers crossed :v:)

Most of them are cards that I need so are probably going to end up in my collection, but there should be a couple of duplicates. I'll post on here what spares I do have once they arrive and I have a chance to sort through them.

Have to admit, it seems a pretty hard card to get a hold of. I had never seen or heard of it until I was sent it by my contact in Japan, and have never seen or heard of it since then apart from the one in hand ... hence why it's a favourite avatar of mine.

I don't think there's a copy in the cards being sent over, but you never know.

I was surprised to actually see another card from that set somewhere on the net only a couple of days ago, but can't remember where ...

Here are the spare Japanese cards of Aussie players that I have.

Open to trade offers or $3 each, there are:

4 x Jeff Williams
2 x Brad Thomas
2 x Chris Oxspring (have 2 copies of the green background card, so 3 cards of him all up)
5 x Michael Nakamura
1 x David Nilsson (ie Dingo)

scan0013.jpg

scan0014.jpg

Hi Adam sent you a pm, am only interested in purchasing these 6 cards

Here is a pic of the ones I would like

Also could you please give me the details of the other cards you purchased, would like to know what ones they are.

Thought it would be easier to post it here rather then through pm or email

Thanks

Beck

6 Cards I would like to purchase.jpg

Wanted Japanese Baseball Cards.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom