James McDonald, Melbourne Captain Retires

saka55

GO DEMONS!
Real Name
Billy
eBay User
bn55saka
Melbourne Captain James McDonald will retire at the end of the 2010 season.
Reluctant McDonald hangs up his boots - AFL.com.au

I am pretty disappointed that the club would insist on him retiring. I think he has played great footy this year. He said himself that he felt his body could go another year. It sucks that he has to go, but this now leaves the captaincy spot open, my top 5 picks would be (in no order)
-Bruce
-Green
-Davey
-Moloney
-Sylvia (our club is so young that he could easily get the job IMO).

To be honest I would probably go with Green, just because of the experience, have him over Bruce because I think Green will play longer

i'll say Green but what about young james frawley, maybe not yet but could be a captain one day. looks like a leader from what ive seen, which isnt a lot but enough to know he's a real goer!

Brad Green and Cameron Bruce are 29 and 31 respectively, being to old IMO to be captain with Melbourne's young talent. I like the idea of blooding a young captain.
I don't know about Moloney, he's an excellent player but there's better for the job.
I think Sylvia is the man for the job, otherwise Nathan Jones, although Jones is very young. They are both hard nuts who are capable of lifting the team through their play, they are also young, being a positive.
I don't think Davey should be a captain, he gets little publicity compared to other players and I don't think he would handle it to well. Best to let him do what he does best.
Frawley, Grimes, Watts, Trengrove and Scully would all make good future captains.
What about Mark Jamar?

Yeh 29 might be pushing it and 31 is definetly to old for a NEW captain.. both these players i think will miss out because of age... i dont think davey is mature enough. What about nathan jones??

Brad Green and Cameron Bruce are 29 and 31 respectively, being to old IMO to be captain with Melbourne's young talent. I like the idea of blooding a young captain.
I don't know about Moloney, he's an excellent player but there's better for the job.
I think Sylvia is the man for the job, otherwise Nathan Jones, although Jones is very young. They are both hard nuts who are capable of lifting the team through their play, they are also young, being a positive.
I don't think Davey should be a captain, he gets little publicity compared to other players and I don't think he would handle it to well. Best to let him do what he does best.
Frawley, Grimes, Watts, Trengrove and Scully would all make good future captains.
What about Mark Jamar?[/QUOTE]

Jamar is a sook. i rekon sylvia has the talent, mentality and ability to be the clubs next captain.

his interview after the second match (the draw) went a little something like this....
WE should have won, we deserved to win. Its not fair. we played beter football (and so on and so forth)
at the end of the day they DID play better football as far as the stats go, but we put enough poor scoring shots on the board to tie it up.

his interview after the second match (the draw) went a little something like this....
WE should have won, we deserved to win. Its not fair. we played beter football (and so on and so forth)
at the end of the day they DID play better football as far as the stats go, but we put enough poor scoring shots on the board to tie it up.

I don't remember it being as dramatic as that, but I don't think anyone in the footy world would of disagreed.
Lets say there was something wrong with that interview, it would not effect him becoming captain.

Jones is nearly at 100 games yeh?? i really dont see many other options. Young or not, has some good exp already.

Jones is nearly at 100 games yeh?? i really dont see many other options. Young or not, has some good exp already.

Yeah he has played 90 games. But is just 22 years old and has plenty of improvement left in him, I don't think he is the right man for the job. If they were going young, IMO they would have to go with Moloney, with 106 games and 26 years of age, he would have to be the front runner.

Sad to see a footy good guy go. I don't like Sylvia being captain, didn't he have a few off-field indisgressions a while back...my vote is for Green.

Yeah he did Ping, hopefully it all set him straight, he has been going well for a while.
I saw the money cleared for those cards and I sent them today. Sorry if it cleared a couple days ago havent been on computer heaps lately

Yeah he did Ping, hopefully it all set him straight, he has been going well for a while.
I saw the money cleared for those cards and I sent them today. Sorry if it cleared a couple days ago havent been on computer heaps lately

Yeah it cleared on Tuesday, took a bit longer than usual... Don't worry mate, got a Gems Mailday from Warney today so I'm happy.

Shame he was pushed, his been a great player for the Dee's over his journey. As for next captain as a non Melbourne supporter I wouldnt go Bruce, some games just doesnt show enough effort and can get lost. Green could be an option for a few years and hand it over to Maloney or Sylvia in the future

I believe it should be Green, and when he retires in 2-3 years it will be perfect timing for say Nat Jones or Sylvia

Back
Top Bottom