Impressed with Deron

ozballer23

#1 J.R. Smith Collector
Real Name
Norm
I have to be the first to admit that I'm not his biggest fan. But with the level of maturity he has been showing on the big stage with his level of experience, I'm starting to wonder what this kid is really capable of! Another double double today, always seems to keep a cool head under pressure.
His cards are a keeper for the future!

edit - his stats from today

D.Williams G 42:48 6-18 1-2 7-9 1 5 6 13 3 2 7 1 20

I think it's the opposite, the kid has no pressure on him (there's fisher to back him up, also there are boozer & kirilenko as the more senior players) - and the jazz were not expected to do well either

he does well precisely because there's no pressure

I think it's the opposite, the kid has no pressure on him (there's fisher to back him up, also there are boozer & kirilenko as the more senior players) - and the jazz were not expected to do well either

he does well precisely because there's no pressure

Not gonna get into any debates, just making a judgement call on what I saw from his game today.

Of course there is some pressure - I se yr point CC but his coach is a hard ass and each game he is guarding Baron Davis who is on the tear of his life!!! There is never any guarantee u get back to the playoffs on any given year...I think Dwill has been huge in the clutch - especially against the rockets and although he had 7 tos today he had a fine all round game...

He's going to be a better Stockton. He's a great passer, has great bigmen to pass to (convert on the assists). And he can score. His D is pretty good too.

he is good but i think chris paul wil out do him so he will always end up being in his shadow. as good as stockton!! thats a big call

well, he's got game..

but compared to stockton?? i don't think so... maybe if he keeps playing like today for next 5 years consistently, yes, maybe he's gonna be a fantastic point guard in NBA...

GOING to be a better Stockton... Obviously not yet, but he will be, given the chance (and that he will get).

As for Chris Paul, it's about Deron Williams, not Paul, and besides, Paul's not in the Playoffs ;) And he's got no worries about being in a shadow.

Scotty..

yes.. going to be a better.. still i am against it.. :lol:

he's getting these asssists, because Jazz has alot of good shooters in the team.. okur can even shoot 3.. so, all he does is "pass" and gets "Assist" easily.... stockton created amazing plays with simple clear passes...

last 9-10 years ago, Damon Stoudemire scored 50 points, i was really amazed.. but as time passed by.. he faded away... many potential players faded away after completion of rookie contracts.. they either get really good or get screwed... like joe smith.. d. stoudemire... darius miles.. and the list goes on...

And i don't even think Chris Paul has enough credentials to be a super point guard.. he obviously can't make all-stars... that's basically lacking respects from coachs and fans...

hopefully, they will get more mature and get better day by day, season by season....

no kidding, speaking of being not under pressure.. devin harris handled quite well in game 6 against GSW.. he was the only starter remaining in the final seconds and he kept making shots... and doesn't loook really upset.. (perhaps he knows he has many more years left in him compared to Dirk or J-Stack or even Jet.. )

He's going to be a better Stockton. He's a great passer, has great bigmen to pass to (convert on the assists). And he can score. His D is pretty good too.

WWWWWWWWWHOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAA a better stockton.. easy does it..... come on who doesnt have love for stock he was amazing :)

He's going to be a better Stockton.

Stockton averaged 10.5 apg over his 19 seasons career...
deron's stats: 6.9 apg the past two seasons

doesn't that say something?

He's doing great this season, no doubt about it... but to even compare him with stockton - that's blasphemy!! =)

he is good but i think chris paul wil out do him so he will always end up being in his shadow. as good as stockton!! thats a big call

Trying to keep away from the Chris Paul comparissons, we all know that he will be good, but this thread is about how good dwill played today, especially gaurding baron davis.

So I'm quick off the mark to compare D-Will to Stockton, but EVERYONE compared Lebron to MJ BEFORE he even started playing in the damn NBA.

People are comparing Durant to Duncan and KG BEFORE he even enters the damn Draft...

Everyone who comes along to a new side, and takes the reigns like D-Will has, will always be compared to previous top players.

I'm taking no credit away from Stockton, he was amazing, although I'd say that Steve Nash and Jason Kidd are FAR better than he is/was.

Comparing D-Will to Stockton, there's no harm in doing that. All I said, is he's going to be a better Stockton. I NEVER said that's he IS better....

Stockton averaged 10.5 apg over his 19 seasons career...
deron's stats: 6.9 apg the past two seasons

doesn't that say something?

He's doing great this season, no doubt about it... but to even compare him with stockton - that's blasphemy!! =)

All it says is that Stockton has played 17 more seasons, and averaged 3.6 more dimes...

Doesnt really say anything at all mate. :D

EDIT:
Thought I might do some research, here's something you could say "says something"...

84-85 Stockton RC Year
18.2 mpg
5.6 ppg
5.1 apg

85-86 Stockton 2nd Year
23.6 mpg
7.7 ppg
7.4 apg

05-06 D-Will RC Year
28.9 mpg
10.8 ppg
4.5 apg

06-07 D-Will 2nd Year
36.9 mpg
16.2 ppg
9.3 apg

If you compare these stats, I'm sure you can clearly see that D-Will SHOULD be a better player, based solely on those stats. Sure, stats arent everything, but sometimes it's the only way to compare.

2nd Year into the League, and D-Will is almost averaging 16 & 10. Stockton Averaged 13 & 10 for his career. It took Stockton 4 years to average double figueres in Assists (13.8). While Williams will never average more than 10 dimes, he will still provide Utah with more than Stockton ever did, hence, he will be a better player when his career is up.

Flame on....

yea lets rate someone in their 2nd season with stocks cause he played for the same club....

in other news

dennis rodman and a few other players named Stockton as the dirtiest player of that era...

So was I wrong when I said that everyone compares other players to new comers???

Again, and AGAIN... All I said is that Deron will be a better player, not IS a better player..

People just don't read sometimes...

Deron has been great! He struggled somewhat in the opening round, maybe a tiny bit, but I'd love to see him get to the finals!

The crown of the NEXT GREAT PG is up for grabs now, Deron or Paul?

Back
Top Bottom