I knew ebay was a ripoff... but I didn't know quite how much (sneaky ****ers)

hairyangryfella

Tag Team Quads 93/94
Real Name
Graeme
So I have sold 3 cards on ebay US lately. And I just got notified of the payment to my stupid payoneer account they forced you to sign up with.

But the amount seems a bit low for what I had sold. So I checked out their fees page and have been chatting to them about why they've taken more than expected.

On their fees page it states that items in the sports trading card category will pay 12.35% in final value fees.

But what it doesn't tell you there, that you have to find in other ways, is that they charge you (or any seller) extra for ANY sale that's international. I sell from NZ to anywhere in the world that's not NZ? I pay 1% for the privilege [I think it works differently for Aus though]. I asked for the justification for this and never got an actual answer - just links to pages that describe this.

BUT WAIT, that's not all!

After working out what both of these fees should total and they still being less than the money that was taken out of my sales, I've learned during the chat with them that even though I don't charge tax/have anything to do with tax, ebay decides to include tax on your sale and then take you final value fee off the tax-inclusive total. Tax that you never knew was being charged, and may not even be legitimately being charged, is costing you more money in fees.

They're just a large company basically scamming their users and getting away with it because there isn't really any other good option.

"They're just a large company basically scamming their users and getting away with it because there isn't really any other good option".

The not so wonderful world of tech monopolies.

It's a similar story in Oz. There's a 1% international sales fee, plus GST, on top of everything else they charge, and yes I have complained about the legalities of taking commission on tax that they collect, but they don't give a F. Unless there's a massive class action, that won't change.
Unfortunately it's still one of the best platforms out there to get stuff out on to the worldwide marketplace, so there isn't a lot of choice.

Ebay are so f....d is not funny. I could not even list a card today because it is recognising me as being in the US( I don't use any VPN). Even though I have multiple listings it made me create new payment and shipping policies all of which are using US based postal services. They have been 100% hacked imo. I have also contacted them on 6 previous occasions to get them to fix an issue which excludes the Sydney metro area on all my listings despite my store having no exclusion areas whatsoever.

They said that they would prioritise my issue( lol) and that it would go to the head of the tech department. The result? Nothing. All my listings still exclude the Sydney Metro area which probably accounts for 40% of the entire Australian marketplace. I used to sell a fair bit of MLB to Sydney but not one item in the last 18 months. That's because no one in Sydney can see my listings. I conclude that they have major glitches through their system that are the result of hacking - something they would never admit to. They suggested that I either put up with it( It's unfortunate they said but they could not do anything about it). Or that I create a new store from scratch, lol( I have over 300 feedback at 100%).

I want to offload my Haaland Kaboom and then I'm done with ebay permanently. They are absolutely atrocious and I genuinely pity anyone that deals with them for their livelihood. That would age you considerably. They are the worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

I probably should grade the Kaboom and send it to COMC.

Back
Top Bottom