How do u get into the hobby?

nice story Slobby =)

NBA Jam was my favourite game. I used to know some cheat that gave them all over sized heads.

Yah, NBA Jam was really funny but bad thing is spending too much money. =(
(Even you win or not, you have to insert coin per every quater except 2 on 2 game winning. On contrary, Run and Gun doesn't need much money, if someone plays well.)

NBA Jam - Big Head on , shooting % appearing cheat

NBA Jam TE - Big Head on , quick hand, super power shooting % appearing cheat,
certain player appearing cheat - If you enter Alonzo Mourning birthday and enter ZO during submit name, your Player is ZO whoever you will select.

So you can play like this

Pip + Sir Charles as teammate.

te2.jpg

nbacardDOTnet that is the sickest video compilation of any any player ive seen... kemp was an awesome raw nba talent

sick sick sick sick vid

I got into them in around '90-'91? It was massive in Aus around then with card shops popping up every where and all the kids were trading in school. Collected for a few years then got into cars and all my money went on them for a good decade and cards got put in the cupboard. Then started getting back into the NBA again about a year ago and decided to look into cards again and got hooked on it.

sounds very similar to me mate.......haha, was crazy about NBA and everything basketball, collected everything till i turned 16 then bought my first car.......a VN SS an everything suddenly turned to cars....... making cars faster, lower and louder....haha....

wasnt till i was 25, moved house and found the old collection.....finally got over cars and started to wonder if anyone still collected cards......a quick search and i found this site in 07 and i still love the hobby!!

nbacardDOTnet that is the sickest video compilation of any any player ive seen... kemp was an awesome raw nba talent

sick sick sick sick vid

Thanks =)

But I didn't(and couln't) make that video.

Someone called shai91cz made that video.

I could get that video around 2002? or 2003.
(through donkey -> P2P system.)

I uploaded at my youtube channel in this year.

Because nobody hadn't uploaded that video yet. It was weird but it was.

IMO, that is the sickest Shawn Kemp Mix.
(I have seen many Shawn Kemp mix though.)

Here is another Mix by KBlaze - Gary Payton + Shawn Kemp

[youtube]gGYhZCoJ1x0[/youtube]​

And I miss this Final.

[youtube]bdnFxGoFElU[/youtube]​

Gees..this is going back a bit..1995 i believe
I went to a local swapmeet and the ex girlfreind was looking at junk so i went walkabout.
I noticed a guy selling afl cards and asked him what the attraction was...he said there was some that were highly collectable..
I thought...ye why not and coughed up about 6 buck roughly for a few.
Opened the first pack and they all pretty much looked the same apart from 1..
I showed the guy and he showed a lot of interest and offered me $80 cash !!
Was hell tempted to sell but eventually got $100 for it.
Jason dunstall legend card...dont think there worth more than a few bucks now...:lol:

Always been a huge basketball fan,
Found myself with a bit of left over cash 6 - 8 months ago and decided to grab some basketball cards. My brother had been telling me to keep an eye on Anthony Randolph since the first game of the season. I then decided to get a few of his cards and realised I could get some pretty cool **** for $15, havn't stopped since.
I just like how it doesn't cost a whole lot to satisfy yourself.
....... Maybe for fellas like verse1 and ersk :p

Gee, I feel really old reading this, I started in about 1968 with Scanlans VFL footy cards, not much in the way of insert cards, but the big thrill was collecting the whole set so you could put together the giant picture of a footy game on the back of the cards, I did the same thing as others and used to keep them all together with rubber bands :cry: needless to say none of those cards are around any more, have no idea what happened to them, stopped collecting when I was old enough for cars and women lol, started again in 2000 with the Y2K AFL series, bought few boxes and got 2 Spriggs and 2 Darren Glass Rookie signature cards (redemptions in those days) also got a few AA cards which were few and far between then, have been collecting ever since, only got into NBA cards about 3-4 years ago when I grabbed a few packs of 04-05 PRO SIGS from the local newsagent. But I really like vintage cards and am slowly building my 69-70 NBA set.
Rob

Nice post NBACardDotNot...... Kemp was my first PC player when I started out, collected him for many years.. but sold my collection awhile back. I also bought those shoes when they came out.... they still look sick! :D

i remember it started in 1992 when cards were huge, i remember buying a packet of fleer ultra and getting a hot pack full of inserts and i was stoked, everyone in the shop was amazed, then nba cards died in aus and i collected afl cards only till 2007, then i discovered ebay brought one box of fleer ultra and pulled 1 jersey and thought these look pretty cool and the rest is history.

Went to Video Ezy Mt Druitt back in April 1994 and bought a few packs of Topps for a dollar each. I pulled a nice Michael Jordan gold version of his card and thouht it was very nice... That started it all.

Hey guys,
Started my addiction in primary school - use to go around hunting for inserts from other kids and offering a stash of commons for them :) Those were the days!! Feel bad now :)

I remember getting my first pack of upperdeck. I got latrell sprewell rookie insert and shaq rookie. Brother's friend told us how lucky we were to get those cards. Back then i didnt even know who they were. I still have those cards in a top loader :) From then on, just kept buying until 94-95. Between 95-96 and the now, i'd just buy a pack here and there hunting for rookies. And now that iam on this forum, i think my addiction is starting to pick up again :)

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

by the way i still have those batman, ninja turtle and AFL cards
i got gary ablet and jason dunstall in it.. not sure if its worth anything
probably also got dipper , the rat and tony shaw in that collection..

man kemp had some dunking ability, nba jam haha dunking from the half court sinking 4000000 three pointers yeah that game was cool. nice thread

First starting collecting cards back in 1980 - Scanlen NSWRL and Scanlen Cricket - I was five, going on six, so it was mainly for the gum but i still tried for the sets. But, like most people at the team, if i couldn't get the set by the time the season ended (which meant packs were sold out), i trhew all of my cards away - yes even some of the big name rookie cards from the 1980-1984 era (Mal Meninga, Laurie Daley, Wally Lewis, Peter Sterling, Alan Border, the Waugh Twins, etc). I know, it's cringe worthy. I also had the entire return of the jedi red border set and half of the Empire Strikes Back white border set (or was it more than half) - they're also gone. I still have my 1985 Transformers set - minus #18 Optimus Prime Profile. I stopped collecting cards in 1986 and didn't buy anything until about December 1994 - that was NBA basketball from Deans Card shop and Collector's Edge in Parramatta. When I moved to Canberra in 1999 for uni, I had to stop after 2000 due to the market dying out. But I've gotten back in since 2005 when the Local card shop (Dee's comics and book, Belconnen ACT) started getting in boxes again. I've since found Beckett.com and have been trading there for nearly eleven months now.

Its funny how the same trends reached from here to where you are even back in the days of no internet etc.

I remember having some Kim Bassinger insert from the Batman cards and was the coolest kid on the school yard at lunches for about 2 weeks, that was my 15 minutes right there :lol:

HA!!! That first Batman was on HBO the other day and when she walked into the party with that white dress on, I said to my Mrs, "Man I remember in year four at school, me and Stewart Bradford were the only ones who had that card. She looked like the hottest thing on earth" The old Batman cards, those were the days!!!! :lol:

I listed this in another thread, but I remeber when me and my bro were in K-mart and we were both nuts about basketball. Saw the upper deck TV playing, went in for a closer look, "Basketball cards?? what the hell.....................................MUM I NEED SOME MONEY!!!!!!!!" 93-94 Upper deck, the greatest year.

LIke most I phased in and out of the hobby over the years. Had a sick sick Mitch Richmond collection. Did the "Out of the hobby sale". Then started again in around 01, had one of the best MJ collections, sold up again, started again in '05 collecting MJ, sold again, then started again around 18 months ago.

I think I should stop doing "IM OUT OF THIS HOBBY!!" sales :lol:

Well I got in to the hobby due to a friend... We went on a holiday and he had a box of footy cards to bust and out of one of the packs was a wildcard drawn by WEG I wanted the collingwood ones straight away so i went and bought pack after pack until i finnaly got one. Then i completed the set and there was nothing else to really do so i started collecting dane swan (i still am to this day) then the cards starting drying up so i decided to come over and collect NBA cards and i still do a little bit not as much as before.

Great thread and I'm glad someone dug it up to post and bump it up, has been an interesting read so far!

I think I got into basketball around 1992, was NBA on free to air TV then?, anyway, it was 92 or 93, i got into watching the games and then played when I was in High School.

I then got into collecting cards i think in 1993 or 94, was buying packs from newsagents mainly until they opened a card shop in Wollongong, damn that was awesome!:D
It may have been the same owners as the gong shop, but then another shop opened up even closer to me so we had 2 places to chose from! I remember doing heaps of trades mainly but a few pack buys, got ripped off in the trading i think but I didn't care, I was just going for the Grant Hill or cool looking insert or whatever I wanted at the time.

Mainly bought packs from the next few years, 94-95 Skybox, TSC, 94-95 Emotion - man I loved the design of them base cards, and the inserts like blew out your eyeballs they were so good looking! :woot:
I think I also got some packs from a place called Timezone if anyone had one in your area, like a video/games arcade and certain ones you get tickets for playing and redeem things for those tickets. They had some old 91-92 Upper Deck and some 89-90 or 90-91 Fleer, awesome stuff, getting the MJ All Star etc :worthy:

A few years later I think I stopped buying/trading when the shops closed in the Illawarra, probably when ebay started, and I was studying at TAFE so had less time.
I still played basketball up to 3 games a week and played for the school and trained there etc but just didn't collect. I also didn't have any interest in the NBL until around 1996-97 when a friend had a ticket for me and we went to a Hawks game (then the Illawarra Hawks). The atmosphere in that little shed they call the Snakepit was crazy. 1800 people, about 30 degrees on a good night, front row about 1mtr from the court sidelines and locker rooms, a bar behind (above) one of the backboards :lol: man, there was no place for the players to hide, would have been intimidating i think!

A few more years passed and then I found this forum! Seeing people in Aus so pumped and into collecting helped renew the fire, especially for my long time PC player, and haven't looked back since. Not sure if it will stay at this pace of doing so many deals and purchases, but if I have a sudden influx of funds there may be a few nicer ones coming in! but for now, I'm very happy to have a renewed interest in collecting and am riding that wave.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm similar to a lot of the guys.

92/93 was when I started collecting. Mainly because I took up playing basketball when I was 10 years old and loved it. Cards came soon after and there were a few places you could buy, 2 card shops close by, a couple of vending machines, even an older guy down the road that used to buy cards by the box:woot: and would sell me his doubles and triples.

I was huge on Zo, LJ (the original LJ, Larry Johnson), D. Rob and Penny.

I pc'd D. Rob and Penny mainly:)

First packs were 93/94 Topps, Skybox (Pulled a Shaq vs Zo) and Upper Deck (got a bunch of garbage).

My first set I completed was 94/95 Ultra and 95/96 Fleer.

Gave up around 98/99 when I ran out of places to buy really.

Got back in around 2004 and it's hard to believe I've been going since then.

I was amazed that you could purchase a card with an Auto and a piece of the players jersey. When I purchased an 04/05 Exquisite Auto Patch of Ray Allen I was blown away by the beauty of the card.

Who knows how long I'll last:)

Great thread! I'd say my story's pretty similar to most others - I got into the hobby in early high school around the time Shaq entered the league. Card collecting was such a big thing back then - I've got fond memories of a few basketball card stores around Adelaide. That was my first collection, and I can't remember what happened to it - sold, traded, lost when moving home, perhaps. I got into it again in the mid-2000's when I picked up a pack of cards from the local newsagent just for the sake of nostalgia. I pulled a Kobe jersey card and was hooked on the hobby again :)

My collection since then has gone through a few phases - set building, all rookies, and now looking at vintage cards and 60's - 80's stars. It's incredible to see the development and changes in the hobby over that time and it's also great to have a dedicated group of collectors here on the forums here who understand the appeal :)

Back
Top Bottom