GTA IV - thoughts & impressions (no spoilers)

Alistair

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Alistair
It's finally here :D

I picked up a copy last night but have only had the time for an hour or so of gameplay. My initial impressions are that it is a ****ing amazing game! Can't wait to explore it more. I got it for $78 from EB Games (who price matched the online Big W catalogue I printed out).

Has anyone else picked it up yet? What are your thoughts?

I can't comment just yet...

Good News is I got my pre-ordered Uncencored Pal copy on the way :thumbsup:

Bad News is I have to wait a week or so from now :cry:

Can't wait though, from what I've seen and heard it's tha shiznit!!

Have to wait a week until pay-day to get my copy.

Getting the Collector's Edition (with the duffle bag, book, cash box, etc, etc) for $130.

Probably over paying...

I've checked out the first video review (IGN review is on youtube), damn it looks awesome!

Can't wait to get it.

Hopefully it's a lot like the others, and less like Saints Row.

What's the uncencosred version??

What's the uncencosred version??

Apparently the Aus in store PAL versions have been cencored somewhat, how much I'm not quite sure.

Almost every GTA release so far has had this happen in Australia and they're not cutting anything out that you can't go catch any given day at a cinema, makes no sence to me....

Apparently the Aus in store PAL versions have been cencored somewhat, how much I'm not quite sure.

Almost every GTA release so far has had this happen in Australia and they're not cutting anything out that you can't go catch any given day at a cinema, makes no sence to me....

From what I gather, the only thing censored is the language and actions in a couple of the cut-scenes. Apparently game play and missions have not been touched.

I was originally going to import the uncensored version, but I can live with a couple of cut-scene changes as long as I am sure my multiplayer games will run on AUstralian servers against other Aussies :)

From what I gather, the only thing censored is the language and actions in a couple of the cut-scenes. Apparently game play and missions have not been touched.

I was originally going to import the uncensored version, but I can live with a couple of cut-scene changes as long as I am sure my multiplayer games will run on AUstralian servers against other Aussies :)

A risk i had to take! If I have to buy it again for multiplay then I'm glad it only set me back $60 :)

I got it for $78 from EB Games (who price matched the online Big W catalogue I printed out).

Wow, great deal! I picked mine up today for $93, and I thought I got a good deal, after a number of other places were selling it for $120.

Havent played it yet, but hope to crack it open sometime tonight.

It's finally here :D

I picked up a copy last night but have only had the time for an hour or so of gameplay. My initial impressions are that it is a ****ing amazing game! Can't wait to explore it more. I got it for $78 from EB Games (who price matched the online Big W catalogue I printed out).

Has anyone else picked it up yet? What are your thoughts?

your a legend dude. i followed your lead and did that too.:thumbsup:

the detail is crazy

been watching the tv four the last half hour in the safe house. absolutely classic

Yes, plenty of detail. I just played it for about an hour or so and have worked out that Im a crap driver. I found the loading times a bit frustrating, sometimes they would take a while and happen often too. This is the first time I have played a game like this on the XBOX, so maybe I'm just used to the PC games.

I've just been doing some very brief reading about GTA 4...

Seems not only are Aussies being taken for a ride at the price (GTA 4 is selling at $60US in the States), we're being charged almost DOUBLE that, AND, we're only getting a "watered down" version.

I read also that hundreds of people have cancelled their orders, and took the step of importing their game much the same as Oz above.

My question, if you import, can you still play it normally, like a normal 360 game, or have you got your console chipped, etc?

I read also that NZ has rated their version R18+. Does this mean that their version would work for us, and it hasnt been censored??

I'm seriously considering doing the same if I can work out if it'll work.

I so hate censorship on anything like this.

I read that the NZ version is also the watered down one, even though they have a 18+ rating. Im not sure where Oz is importing from, but I heard the UK was a likely source due to it being a PAL country. Not sure though if the online gaming aspact of it will work in Australia if you have an overseas game.

I've just been doing some very brief reading about GTA 4...

Seems not only are Aussies being taken for a ride at the price (GTA 4 is selling at $60US in the States), we're being charged almost DOUBLE that, AND, we're only getting a "watered down" version.

I read also that hundreds of people have cancelled their orders, and took the step of importing their game much the same as Oz above.

My question, if you import, can you still play it normally, like a normal 360 game, or have you got your console chipped, etc?

I read also that NZ has rated their version R18+. Does this mean that their version would work for us, and it hasnt been censored??

I'm seriously considering doing the same if I can work out if it'll work.

I so hate censorship on anything like this.

Same, no matter how cencored, i don't need some cencorship board deciding what's inapproprite/too hard core for me! :mad:

I ordered mine through a Canadian seller on ebay selling the Uncencored UK PAL version that's compatible with AUS/NZ machines. The US version was at first stated to be region free but not so long ago it was confirmed that it wasn't.

A mate of mine on here (Gordon7) is pretty cluey about these things and assured me the UK version was 100% compatible. I can let you know when mine arrives if it's all good but don't really want to encourage you to go out and get it just yet just in case. Maybe look into it first.

I'm pretty sure it will be fine, only problem as someone mentioned, it may not necessarily be compatible with the multiplayer function. That's something I can live with since I'm buying this for story mode. Have to admit, GTA IV multiplayer would be nice, I hacked my GTA VC on PC a few years ago to play online and even though it was riddled with bugs it was heaps of fun. :thumbsup:

i think as long as its a pal copy you dont need to get it modded. so a UK release is still viable.

otherwise an NTSC copy (US) would need some modding i believe

maybe wrong but thats what i thought

i think as long as its a pal copy you dont need to get it modded. so a UK release is still viable.

otherwise an NTSC copy (US) would need some modding i believe

maybe wrong but thats what i thought

I think that's pretty much spot on, but some NTSC games are released region free. I've bought a few (Stranglehold, Bioshock) that are 100% NTSC releases but are compatible. Depends on the release.

There's a site that tells you which NTSC releases are compatible with PAL machines, i'll see if I can find it and post it up. Can save alot of money on games by getting the compatible NTSC releases on the bay. I bought bioshock brand new and factory sealed for $59.95 within a few months of it's release from memory.

This is all for Xbox 360 btw.

[EDIT]Region Free Xbox 360 Games - Gaming - A Wikia Wiki

Thanks for the info guys!

I was planning on getting GTA4 next week, but I'm happy to wait a bit longer to see what your copy's like.

Do you have Live on your 360? Can you check it out if you do?

Thanks for the info guys!

I was planning on getting GTA4 next week, but I'm happy to wait a bit longer to see what your copy's like.

Do you have Live on your 360? Can you check it out if you do?

Not sure about Live, after seeing both that and 2k8 I decided to go with 2k8 this season.

I'll let you know as soon as my copy of GTAIV arrives. :)

Not sure about Live, after seeing both that and 2k8 I decided to go with 2k8 this season.

I'll let you know as soon as my copy of GTAIV arrives. :)

Sorry, I meant Xbox Live, not NBA Live. (2K8 ROCKS!!!)

But yeah, if you can let us know what it's like when you get it.... :thumbsup:

I'd be one to want to play GTA 4 online too, so that's a must for me.

I'm not Live at the moment, should be within a week or two now that i'm getting my broadband connection back (long story). As soon as I do, I'm planning on getting a Live subscription from JB. Either way I'll let you know asap.

Back
Top Bottom