Floor General Mailday (lowish end - definitely no All-Stars!)

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
Turns out there were quite a few youngish future PGs in the list of backscanning to be done so thought I'd group them up and whack a small mailday thread together.

The Obligatory Game Used

Starting out small with some toned down Linsanity... In this day and age of scouting everything and everyone with all sorts of scouts and their computer analytics programs I'm not sure how guys like Lin end up going undrafted. He's definitely no superstar but can run the show sufficiently well and shoot from deep.

Spectra /199

Select GU

Certified GU /99 - a die cut for the sake of being a die cut? I don't get it....

Great Dame Majestic GU /99 - this guy has some great nicknames. Sub Zero (apparently pulled a fatality playing Mortal Kombat with that particular character), Illard (coz he's sick player?), Big Game Dame (apologies to Mr Worthy) and Drillard (even though he ain't that proficient from downtown). Guy has a big future, Blazers just need some help on the wings with some floor spacers and a healthy Batum.

The Metal - MARDS!

Kemba Walker - dang I love these um, cards???? Perhaps we should call them Mards (metallic cards - well I'm coining that phrase so let's hope it catches on otherwise I'm going to sound like an idiot every time I mention it!). Kemba has great quickness and handle to stop and pop, step back and run the fast break. Just needs to hone that outside shot a bit better and defenders will be at his mercy!

The Scribble

Darius Morris Intrigue RC auto /299 - surprised this guy still isn't in the league. Big PG, solid handle, can run the show, check his opponent and contribute on the boards. Can play out of control at times (bad shots and passes) but is capable of the incredible too. Inconsistent jumper cost this guy big time! Fundamentals first people!

Gal Mekel Certified auto /25 - capable of running the show but has a major hitch in his shot which means defenders can cheat off of him - not a big offensive threat.

Darren Collison Prestige auto (on card) - one of the most solid and under-rated PGs in the league. Bit of a midget which doesn't help him on D or getting his shot away easily. Just needs a bit more aggressiveness and mongrel in him to get to the line more often...

Tony Wroten Select GU / auto /249 - Big combo guard who can do a bit of everything, needs to put the 3 ball away for now though. Creative but still very TO prone fro someone who isn't even the main ballhandler. Very one sided and left hand dominant.

Shane Larkin Select GU / auto - Another pint sized dynamo with great speed and a quick release. Can get into the lane at will at is an athletic freak. Defensive liability given his height and tends to come up with steals shooting the passing lanes....

Isaiah Canaan Retro & Certified autos and Gold Standard GU / auto (on card) - SG trapped in a PG body. Can score in bunches or go scoreless for long stretches too. Tries to do too much and sometimes plays with blinkers on to the detriment of his team-mates. Sub-par athlete who can muscle his way to the basket or drain the 3 ball, has trouble keeping his man honest on the defensive end. Needs the ball in his hands. Good 6th man type for a bit of instant offense - think of a small Marshon Brooks without any real ISO moves.

Nate Wolters - Pinnacle auto, Court Kings auto (on card), Elite gu/ auto /599, Spectra Gu/ auto and Silhouettes GU / auto /99 (on card). A Dellavedova type player who wears his heart on his sleeve. Gives absolutely everything and has a high basketball IQ and moxie beyond his years. A step slow athletically but can get his shot away with hesitation moves and fakes, defensively has size, plays good positional D and makes his rotations. Can't check the real thoroughbred PGs though. Struggled to find his shot after his rookie season - needs minutes to get his 'flow'. Has earned a spot on my hypothetical expansion team.... :-P

Trey Burke Spectra GU / auto - True floor general in every sense of the word. Bit of an inconsistent jumper at this point and seems to lose confidence if his first few shots aren't falling. Bit of a sophomore year set back but has true star potential.

Well that's it for now folks - nothing major in this mailday but a few players who I think deserve a bit more hobby love than they're currently getting. Nothing is PC so all up for trade or sale if you see something you need or like.

As always thanks for looking and taking the time to read. Comments always appreciated too!

Nate Wolters - Pinnacle auto, Court Kings auto (on card), Elite gu/ auto /599, Spectra Gu/ auto and Silhouettes GU / auto /99 (on card). A Dellavedova type player who wears his heart on his sleeve. Gives absolutely everything and has a high basketball IQ and moxie beyond his years. A step slow athletically but can get his shot away with hesitation moves and fakes, defensively has size, plays good positional D and makes his rotations. Can't check the real thoroughbred PGs though. Struggled to find his shot after his rookie season - needs minutes to get his 'flow'. Has earned a spot on my hypothetical expansion team.... :-P

I really liked what I saw from Wolters and was hoping he would get to stick around.

Kendall Marshall was another one I thought was pretty good, but he was hurt at the wrong time and also had issues scoring.

I really liked what I saw from Wolters and was hoping he would get to stick around.
Kendall Marshall was another one I thought was pretty good, but he was hurt at the wrong time and also had issues scoring.

Marshall was a pure PG held back by his offensive shortcomings but when he finally started to drill that 3 ball I thought he had made it. Wolters was a actually a huge scorer on a small NCAA team so he knows how to gt his shot away under pressure, still hoping he catches on in the league somewhere. If Delly can make it, Nate should be an All-Star!

Always a pleasure to read your comments ! like my skip ;)

Long time no see Tiphaine! Glad you like! Looking forward to see more New Orelans / CP3 / D West maildays soon!

Sweet pick ups. Nice Wolters mini PC you have going there :)

I have more! Very under-rated player imo. He deserves a shot!

Another great mailday Skip!! Hope Lin gets a chance to have a good next season, hope Trey steps it up, not sure about Wolters though, don't think he's gonna make it! I went to look up his stats but he's not on the NBA site, did he get some DLeague time?

Very cool mailday

C'mon man - you wouldn't have even scanned up half of these cards if they were yours! lol

Nice mail.

Cheers Ersk, not as nice as your mail though! :)

Might be (lowish end) but still very nice to check them out.:kick::kick::kick:

These random maildays are the only way I get to see the new stuff in hand, don't break many boxes at all these days....

Another great mailday Skip!! Hope Lin gets a chance to have a good next season, hope Trey steps it up, not sure about Wolters though, don't think he's gonna make it! I went to look up his stats but he's not on the NBA site, did he get some DLeague time?

By all accounts Lin should be on the move next season, no rhyme or reson for him to stay in Laker land. Trey's lack of progression from his first year is a bit of a worrying sign, on the plus side, he has shown he is capable of taking over games. WOlters did start a few games for the Bucks as a rookie and was getting rotation minutes. Was a surprise cut and found himself on the Pelicans for a while before making way for Toney Douglas (scrappy guy on D who can't run the show and has patchy offense) and Ish Smith (an average PG at best with no upside). He is 24 (he was a senior) so agreed that he may be running out of chances already, he'd be a great fit on a young team in need of a PG - backup spot on the Jazz perhaps? You heard it here first!

As always, great informative write ups.

I read up and try to evaluate these guys for some fairly involved fantasy basketball keeper leagues. When you know the background to some of these guys stories they aren't just scrub auto filler to round out Panini's many, many product offerings....

Back
Top Bottom