Not open for further replies.

sjay2k

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Scott
eBay User
sjay2k
96/97 Skybox Autographics Steve Nash

I was initially suspicious because nearly all the Autographics have slight chipping on the tops and bottoms. For example, compare the above with this Nash auto and you'll see the difference.

I collected images of all the Nash autographics I could find on eBay and compared them (see the attached image). The auto in question is 5th in the line of 6.

1. The autograph simply looks much more deliberate than the others. The biggest clue is the end of the "Steve", where there is a distinct black dot. This shows that whoever signed it completely stopped their penstroke at this point. But all the others have a more continuous flow at this point, as if Nash was getting them done very, very quickly. Furthermore the relative proximity of the end of "Steve" to the "N" is very different to the others -- look at the 4th one in particular.

2. Both the kicks on the "N" look wrong. They are too long. What is more convincing though is that the kicks are running the wrong way! It's quite clear that Nash starts the "N" from the left, then swings right on the way back up (compared to the 5th one, which leans the wrong way). The end of the "N" is very thin. It makes me think that this card was signed with a different sort of pen!

3. I think there is also something very odd with the "S" which I can't quite put my finger on.

What do you guys think?

autos.JPG

autos2.JPG

im fairly sure theres no fake autographics cards out there, they didnt sell any at the fleer auctions, so how could someone find a blank one to put a fake sig on?

I think there were a couple of members showing off there best Nash cards the other day....and the comment was made about how his signature has changed over the years.

I dont think it is a fake!!

There were definitely fakes made of that years autographics but I've only ever heard and actually seen of Pippen and Hill. Pippen were all in blue ink, I've seen a black one (fake).

As shoes said lan.3 is a very reputable dealer who I have bought from many times and I highly doubt it is fake. The one absolute give away would be the embossed skybox stamping they have. Ask if it has that. Also it does look to have some chipping near the top right corner side.

I'd say if your interested, go for it. Im guessing $246.58 :)

On that note players aren't machines, there signatures will change. Have a look at these 2 Antoines....the first one looks like he was either drunk or resting it on his knee when he signed it.

a6_1_b.jpg

walker96premiumautorc.jpg

oz-antoine said:
On that note players aren't machines, there signatures will change. Have a look at these 2 Antoines....the first one looks like he was either drunk or resting it on his knee when he signed it.

...or shimmying as he signed it ;)

oz-antoine said:
There were definitely fakes made of that years autographics but I've only ever heard and actually seen of Pippen and Hill. Pippen were all in blue ink, I've seen a black one (fake).

As Oz-Antione said it is unlikely to be fake...but apparently there are some out there.
My big Beckett book says - "Recently, some news of counterfeits have surfaced. The focal cards being reproduced include Grant Hill, Garnett and Pippen. These cards feature no chipping on the edges, a lighter colour of black on the back a fuzzy copyright line and, in general, a poor autograph. These do, however, have the Skybox logo stamped on the card".

Just for interests sake - the first 100 cards of each player were signed in Blue
and are .75x - 2x the black autos.
Exceptions are Olajuwon and Pippen who signed all in blue. Garnett signed 2/3 of his in blue. And John Wallace signed none in blue. There are 95 cards in the set with a Beckett Value of $1800 (back in 03/04 when this book was released)

I've seen a few auctions stating there were only 56 Nash, has anyone seen this in beckett? If he only has 56 is that just the black, then how many blue? Surely not 100.

Nah, theyre definitely not anything to do with a buyback prouct. They are unsigned cards the company buys back, gets them signed, numbers them then redistributes them in products.

Also, just because the pics show different amount of chipping doesn't make the card fake. I have a Longley card, and it has very little chipping on the card (but there is some). Also note that some sellers will trim their scans to reduce the chipping and other distinguishable features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom