Expansion

The Mad Hatter

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Chris
If the NRL were to expand to 18 teams...which teams would you like to see come in?:

• Perth Reds
  • Central Qld Wranglers
  • Central Coast Bears
  • PNG
  • Wellington
  • Greater Western Brisbane

I was at a forum a couple of weeks ago, attended by Roy Masters, Ray Warren and Geoff Prenter amongst others. Sadly, they were of the opinion that Central Coast Bears would come in to the 16 at the expense of one Sydney club that will fold and/or be moved out in the next 12-24 months.

Just interested to see what people think. Feel free to put your own ideas in. Just looking for some chat.

i think the NRL should fill the gaps on the east coast of Australia so Central QLD and Central Coast NSW would be my pick. But i also think having a PNG side would make their national side stronger in 10-20 years time which would be great for international footy.

Perth Reds are a definite for mine as i have heard they are emerging quite nicely and they would be a team for many years to come if the correct marketing, finance and management was set in place.

Central Coast has always been a most popular vote and should have always been there like Newcastle.

I doubt another QLD team would work and the rest have no chance of any survival.

If the NRL take notice of how the AFL are looking many years ahead and spend money wisely then these teams will be vital in keeping this game alive.

My opinion.

i would split the new zealand team and make 2 -3 and i like the idea of a PNG side and other states would also be pretty awesome.

I think Perth would be a perfect fit.

New market / region / fans
New sponsors
Plenty of WA money around from mining
New flavour for the NRL (well, sort of)

Plus...if they played all the Reds games on a Friday night at home every 2nd week at 7.30pm, with the 2 hour difference, the 7.30pm NSW/QLD match could finish and TV could put on another LIVE match in WA taking in the time difference. (9.30pm Sydney/Bris/Melb and 7.30pm Perth).

For mine, I'd also like to see the NRL concentrate on Melbourne too. Get at least one live match on in Melbourne on a Fridya night. I mean, what do they put on down there instead of NRL?

I think that a team in Sydney needs to relocate to the Central Coast, Another team in sydney needs to relocate to Adelaide , a new team in Perth and either another Qld team or a further international team ( PNG maybe ). That will balance out an 18 team competition across the country. Then some short term pain will need to be taken in order for some long term gain.

Any team in Sydney want to put their hand up.... Perhaps the Adelaide Sharks and The Central Coast Rabbitohs.

Tough decisions will lead to success.

Take the example of Fitzroy to the Brisbane Lions as an example....

Any Opinions

Perth would be good. PNG would also be good as they love their footy over there. Hoping the NRL doesnt sacrifice an original 16 team to make way for a new one though.
Cheers
Brplat

If you read between the lines, one Sydney team is going to be relieved of its licence in the next 2 years.

You can guess who.

When a number of trusted sources all seem to be of the same opinion, and not saying they are right, but you can't deny it.

Thinking long term the NRL needs to add 4 teams.

Two in the short term and two in the longer term. Then split into two 10 team Leagues.

Initially I like a Perth team / A Central Coast team (not some failing club relocating though) or perhaps Central QLD.

Then in the second expansion PNG sounds like a great option along with a Western Brisbane and a 2nd NZ team.

Yes I have listed 6 teams and personally think a couple of these should be filled by a relocated Sydney team (as long as it's not up here on the Coast :lol:) or a Sydney team should fall on it sword to make way.

The talk about diluting the talent pool is crap IMO...to me with a workable salary cap it would be like water always finding its level.

cheers
Ross

I agree diluting the talent pool is not an issue. Enough players of quality to go around just needs enough money to pay them and well run clubs to be astute with recruitment and create a successful club. It also needs supporters to keep supporting a club through the tough times when success is not always at hand.

Peter

Gameday Online

I think the NRL may have missed the boat on a couple of chances, which is fair enough given how the brand has strengthened in recent times due to a strong competition.

Perth will be harder to succeed in given there is a Super 15 franchise there now. While that franchise may not be booming, the fans it has are likely people that would have strongly supported an NRL franchise.

I think Wellington is some what the same with the Phoenix in the A-League now. Between them and the Hurricanes a lot of sport is played in Wellington for a moderately sized city, I'm not sure there is the population base to strongly support a third professional football team.

Of all the Sydney teams Cronulla has to be most at risk...

I think PNG is a bit of a pipe-dream at this stage : it's their national sport and they love the game but honestly where is the money going to generate from? I'm talking TV rights, corporate sponsorship, fan support (in $$$ terms)

Central Coast is a must imo.

Not convinced on Perth and Adelaide either - Channel 9 showing State of Origin there live would be a start (pretty sure they don't bother now?)

Back
Top Bottom