Exciting Panini News: Your feedback please!

good stuff wow im a little to late everything all ready mentioned lol.

i hope the quality of the cards can be more like chrome and less like no offence base cards fleer 2007

jersey cards with some kind of proof that actually game worn and what game now that would be great .

13-14 products a year instead of 20-30

we need something new in design leave base as base cards refractors and inserts have to different . quality control is huge with me
if going to make less jersey cards god willing lol then make them something extra diddley special and especially with patch cards and real thick cards eg: topps treasury gold medallion rookie cards 2008-09 the corners not so flashy
have seen this happen to higher end cards (not my experience but box breaks on you tube) exquisite getting a 1of 5 card is great but lot of times corners can be not so flash straight out of box

in saying that hope lebron other stars will be signing with panini

autos and jerseys are worth less then certain inserts eg
ultra fleer 2007 alot of player on card signed auto are only 8 dollers beckett and sell 3-4 dollers on ebay
where from same box insert of legend larry bird not numbered no auto no jersey is 12 dollers becket price bring the inserts back with great design and less auto and jersey for sure
then the jerseyand auto card's will be hopefully back on track to being a nice collectable and not a pittsnoggle auto coffee coaster lol
good luck panini guys and girls hope you make the entire collecting world proud to be a nba basketball trading card collector .:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Actually it's nearly the opposite. If you're a rookie in the NBA, Topps and UD lately have made 100s of cards of you even if you haven't played a game. Herbert Hill never played a regular season game, yet look at my collection. Jason Smith has double the rookies Hill does and he averaged 4 points in his rookie year. Rookies having cards has never been an issue for UD as they are very happy to produce 100s so that it filled out the product with more 'hits'.

should of been a bit clearer, was saying if panini just release the stars and no lower end player, then if that player becomes a star one day there will be no nice early cards of him. :thumbsup:

Autographs
1. On card autographs – The more on card autographs the better.
2. Sticker autographs – I realize sticker autographs are going to be necessary but there are things that could make them better. If you are going to make a set that is all stickers, make the design based around the sticker (great example would be 04-05 Upper Deck Pro Sign autographs. Another good idea would idea would be to use more cut looking autographs like in 2001-2006 SPx rookies.
3. Combination autographs – There should be more combination autographs. Duals, triple, quads etc should be inserted more often. Combinations of older/new players would be great. (cards like Payton/Kemp, Amare/Kemp, Amare/Shaq would all be desirable)
4. Inscriptions – You should encourage players to sign more personalized inscriptions to average cards.

Game Used
1. Date them – Tell me a little bit about the card I have. Let me know some things like the date, opponent and what the player did in that game.
2. Bigger swatches – Basic jersey cards are becoming way too common. The swatches on them are becoming smaller and smaller as well. Simply making the swatch bigger would limit the number of cards and make them much more desirable.
3. Patches – Patches should be a lot rarer. As with jersey cards, you should make patch windows bigger, bigger then jersey cards even. Thought should be put into how you are going to cut the jersey as to where the best patches can be made.
4. Fraud protected – Something should be done to keep people from faking patches. A simple plastic coating over the patch would cut down a lot on fakes as it would force the fakers to split the card, a much harder process. (07-08 Rookie Threads rookie auto jerseys are a good example of what I’m talking about)
5. Event used cards – Rookies may be the exception as they wouldn’t have game used jersey for a while, but at least cut down on them. The later the release, the less I want to see event used swatches. Veteran players I do not want to see ANY event/issued jerseys of.
6. Oddball game used – Things like headbands, shoes etc should be used more often. These cards are a great change of pace to the shooting shirt/jersey cards.

Redemption cards
1. Limit them – There are way too many redemption cards floating around. Simply put, if the cards are not ready for the product, do not make them available.
2. Player selection – If I have to wait for a redemption, it better be worth my time. I can wait for a Larry Bird auto, but if I have to wait for a JJ Redick auto I am going to be annoyed. If the card is just so basic, it shouldn’t be inserted into the set as a redemption and should be left out.
3. Wait time – All redemptions should be sent out/replaced in a timely manner. I’d be willing to wait a month, MAYBE two. Anything over that and something needs to be done.
4. Replacements – After a certain amount of time or If you aren’t making the cards I am going to want a replacement. I should not have to contact you about a replacement. You guys know what would be happening more then I would and should be initiating the replacement process.

Sets
1. Tier system – There should be a tier system involved in creating new products. Lower end sets ($20-$50), mid-tier sets ($50-$120), high end sets ($120+).
a. Lower end sets – These should include huge base sets and multiple lower end inserts. The base sets should include every player on a team. A few autograph/game used sets could also be involved but should be limited. These should be very cheap and geared towards getting younger collectors and set collectors involved.
b. Mid tier sets – These should involve a base set of around 2-3 players per team. Autographs and game used should be inserted more often, maybe around 2-3 per box, but they should be of higher quality.
c. High end sets – These are geared towards the hardcore collectors. These should ONLY include the best players. Super star autographs, the craziest patches and great rookie cards should be included in this.

Set Ideas
1. Printing plates – I for one hate printing plates, and I’m not alone. One thing I would do is make a redemption card for all four printing plates of the card.
2. Parallels – They need to be cut down. Set should have a MAXIMUM of five parallels in my opinion. A base, /100, /25, /1 would be reasonable in my opinion.
3. Theme sets – Sets like dunk champions, all stars, top defenders, best point guards etc should have their own insert sets.
4. Team/player sets – How cool would it be to have a set commemorating teams like the 72 win Bulls team? A huge insert set (like the Yankee legacy) with each game Jordan played in would be great as well.
5. Retired player sets – There should be at least 1 set each season devoted to just retired players. Game used, autographs, cut autographs should all be inserted into these.
6. Inserts – Innovative insert sets should be developed and inserted. These would have to be rare, cool looking cards so that a following could be started around these cards.
7. Player collectors – Please keep player collectors in mind. If you have a player in a set, do not over do it. Players do not need to be included in every autograph, game used and insert set in a product.
8. Memorabilia – Redemption cards for complete game used jersey, shoes, autographed photo etc would be great to be randomly insert into products.

4. Replacements – After a certain amount of time or If you aren’t making the cards I am going to want a replacement. I should not have to contact you about a replacement. You guys know what would be happening more then I would and should be initiating the replacement process.

Though it's important to ask the person if they would like the redemption replaced before initiating a replacement. ;)

Guys a bit of an update. One of the Panini guys has been reading this thread and has forwarded on the link to the design teams.

They have expressed their thanks for providing such great feedback!

Ozcards are also now on the Panini mailing list so whenever a new announcement is made, we will be one of the first to know!

Cheers
Matt

Guys a bit of an update. One of the Panini guys has been reading this thread and has forwarded on the link to the design teams.

They have expressed their thanks for providing such great feedback!

Ozcards are also now on the Panini mailing list so whenever a new announcement is made, we will be one of the first to know!

Cheers
Matt
Nice one matt....thats awesome mate!!

Ok so I'm back again but UD have just done something that I hope upon hope that I never see happen again...

Here it is: If you have a card on the checklist for the set/release, insert it into the product! Doesn't matter if it is a redemption, insert it! UD has just shown me with my 07/08 Chirography set that they have made some of the cards but instead of inserting them into the product directly or by redemption, they have instead withheld them and are now sending them out as redemption replacements for other un-made redemption cards. Seriously.

So simply put, don't follow that lead. If you say a card is going to be in the product, insert it into the product.

Ben

While there have been some great comments re inserts/autos/GUs redemptions all of which need to be addressed. Please Panini don't forget about the Base cards. A base set of 90 is pretty pointless and please, please find some different photos. Almost every card on Nate Thurmond i own has the same picture cropped in a slightly different way. So please bring some value back to base cards, they aren't just fillers for the packs that don’t have an auto/gu. This hobby thrived for a long time when there were only base cards.

I would like to see autographs ----- on card

---- greatest duo of all time
---- greatest trio of all time
-----greatest first 5 of all time in each team
-----thanks

One other thing is to please, please, please list the year of the card on the back.... only sometimes the year (not the manufacturing year such as 2007, but the set year such as 07-08) is listed, don't know why it's not always listed..... how hard is it to print the year on the back????

Makes cataloging cards a hell of a lot easier & less time consuming & also avoids seller/trader mistakes.

i can remember as a kid in the UK being at a mates house and his dad who was a truck driver coming home drunk and throwing about 5 boxes of panini soccer/football stickers at us.
this must of been in the real late seventies or somewhere up to 1985 (when i came to Australia)....i cant remember now.
we opened the whole lot and i can remember stickers (im presuming, the memory is vague) being everywhere, yet we were so young we didnt really care...we just wanted our fav players from our teams we supported

the thrill of cards/stickers is the busting of the packs/box and pulling some really cool cards..we all know this.
i dont collect basketball cards at all.
but if panini came out with some cool decent cards i would seriously start collecting Sixers stuff (as my home town basketball team is the Adelaide 36ers over here).

ive been out of collecting for so long and have only just found a love for it again.....all these cards with pieces of jersey in them amazed me, i hadnt seen anything like it until a few weeks ago.
its got me so interested again in collecting cards (and not just St Kilda ones over here from australia)

but i dont want to go and pay $160 AU odd bucks and get bugger all from a box.
base cards dont bother me, but make it so in every pack there is at least SOMETHING worthwhile...and then in every ten packets, something a bit better, and then in every twenty etc etc up to one per box.

put one or two of these cards with the patch/piece of shorts, singlet in every box.
make the chase fun, but not stupidly impossible.
have 3d cards, holofoils, make sure these some signatures too obviously...and sign the card and put it IN the packet/box.....
none of this redemption rubbish...people are getting angry they cant get what they really are entitled to.

do stickers, but leave that in the lower end of the market for the young kids...get them interested in the card collecting hobby again...u can always advertise on the back of the sticker packets that there is a card range too.....which they will surely pester mum and dad for.

dont have 500 million variants of cards and then produce 10 series.
its almost impossible to chase down ALL cards of your fav player or team.

i collect teams, not sets......and i wouldnt mind being given a fair chance in completing a team (and all the rarities from that team) from every single year over the next twenty years...of course the chase is fun, but dont make it bloody nearly impossible.
its turned into money money money...and some of us collect just for the love of the team or a certain player.....and not to make money down the track.

stats and info on the back of the card.
i love info about the player and some stats and history.
not just name, birth date, starsign, height, blah blah
some REAL stats and history, make the card nice to look at AND informative on the back. (and not just a few lines either)
number the cards.....EVERY card should be numbered.

do it right and it would be great to see panini come into the market.....do it well and maybe they can branch out to other sports and put some pressure onto the other card brands to lift their game....which in turn only benefits everyone.
:cool:

Hi.

Im from Poland, I collect NBA cards ( Grant Hill only) since 1995. In my opinion, the best series in the world are from 1995 to 2000. There was great inserts and parallels (every inserts of EX - jambalaya, a cut above, etc, Flair hot shots, Flair Legacy Collection, Platinum Portraits, Holograms like SPX Promotion, SPX Finite etc) That was a great cards, originally, very attractive. Old jerseys and auto's are excellent too - Skybox Autographics was one of the finest auto series, UD Game Jersey/Patch from 90's, Genuine Coverage - that was a great series, they have a nice value now. And look for GU's from latest years - many of them dont have value, nobody wants them for 0,01$.

Here is what I would like to see:
- back of 90's inserts - best cards in the world
- back of holograms - they are great idea
- less GU's, patches and autos - they are not base cards. I think that people hate new GU Jerseys sets, they are crap, ugly, popular and have no value. They killing of this hobby. Tons of jerseys and auto’s ? NO WAY !!!
Compare 98 UD Game Jersey and last Jersey sets from SP, Fleer or UD - It cannot be comparable. First are great, second are crap
- every patch should be numbered
- autos on cards ( it can be hard for the new company from Italy, but I hope you did it)
- no sh... like manufactured patches, manufactured lettermans - ok, let it be, but dont call it "Patch", they are not a patches and lettermans. They are only base cards with piece of material
- more work with design of cards. I dont want see looks same series in every year. Look for the cards from 90's - every series was different, looks nice.
- one of the most important !!! - Stop make boxes for only rich collectors. More people dont have tons of $, to buy couple boxes in month for 200-300$. Now every series are most expensive than should be. I want to this hobby should be for normally people, for kids, students, it is not a hobby for a millionaires. Letterman, Chronology, Black, Premier, SP - they are too expensive. Couple years ago was only 2 expensive series Exquisite and Ultimate. Now almost everything is expensive. But they are not worth of this prices. I wrote that should be about 20 different sets. Make 2-3 expensive sets, 4 middle-high-end, 10 middle-end and 2-3 cheap sets for the youngest collectors.
- I dont want see 30 auto’s of MJ, Lebron or Kobe per one set. Where are the other players? This same is for rookies, now it’s too much for popular rookie per set. It is many great players who dont have nice cards.
- Dont make Gods and superstars from rookies – let him to play something in NBA.
- better choice in the players in the insert sets
- dont add legends to base sets, base sets are for actual players only
- I hate when you call Lebron, Paul or Hinrich “Veterans”. Such as BRANDAN WRIGHT AND THADDEUS YOUNG UD PREMIER RARE PATCHES DUAL VETERAN – it is absurd. Shaq, Hill, Kidd, Rasheed – they are veterans.
- Different Game Used – where are GU Ball, GU Shoe, GU Floor, GU seat ?
- Less limits. I dont want one card with 10 limits, without changes.
- Refractors, Xfractors etc are great, but I dont like when in one set is 5 different varies of Xfractor, 5x Superfractors, 5 Refractors (like in 05-06 Finest). Let for collectors give a chance to collect full sets. Because now it is almost impossible.
- STOP making tons of 1/1.
- Too many Jordan cards, Jordan cards are everywhere. Stop it.
- make something interesting on back of card - I want read statistics, fun facts etc. Not only " You have authentic piece of jersey bla bla bla..."
- print year set and name set on card. Old cards are great but often dont have it, and sometimes its very hard to check what that card is from.

It is little part of my suggestions:)

Jumped on this one late - oh well... This wont be popular but

No inserts for rookies... In the first year have only their base cards, could increase the value of collecting base sets and also increase the value of rookie cards, or have their rookie card in the base set and then include a subset of NBA Draft Picks or Top Prospects like in the early 90's

has there been any feedback from Panini with all this?

Yes, they are aware of this thread, they have thanked us for the feedback and there will be some announcements soon.

This thread was given to their marketing and design departments.

Cheers
Matt

Jumped on this one late - oh well... This wont be popular but

No inserts for rookies... In the first year have only their base cards, could increase the value of collecting base sets and also increase the value of rookie cards, or have their rookie card in the base set and then include a subset of NBA Draft Picks or Top Prospects like in the early 90's

I love rookie inserts! Well the old ones at least! :p

How about keeping cost down? I can't afford and will not fork out $300 for a box that only contains 5 cards no matter who might be in it.
And that fact that I dont give a toss about GU or autos doesn't help.

Also, wouldn't mind seeing inserts popular again, that way I might actually start collecting more recent cards instead of sticking to 90's sets. (plus 90's boxes are so much cheaper)

A lot of points have already been made but if it is repetition i think it is supporting that a lot of people out there are thinking the same thing.

-Release 15 to 20 brands/sub brands of products, not 40 (like UD did)

-On card auto's, sticker auto's for the lower end stuff to enable younger kids to get into the product at a cheaper box price etc or if not possible for some players somehow set the sticker in the card like a GU patch so its not so noticeable, eg like a Stuckey Stadium Club XFractor i think it was, a nice looking card and then you've got this big ugly visible sticker across the bottom of it :rolleyes:

-Still like the sticker subsets, ive got an old Jordan Fleer sticker 88-89 or so and it's pretty cool looking, normal card size thought, not mini size

-Accurate pack/box/case insertion, I wouldn't want to pay $200 in search of like 2 auto's, 3 GU, 8 inserts and and get shorted a few.

-Bigger swatch/jersey size, i think its pointless to have this tiny little area of a tiny piece of "game worn material" when you could use us the whole bottom third and make it so much better looking.

-If it's game worn material, state the date/more about it
Also use differnet things like ball, headband, suit, shoes, jocks...:lol: kidding.
Not sure if done before but what about Net piece after the team wins the tiltle?

-I like the look of Draft Day stuff, do something cool with the draft day worn hat, suit, team logo, lottery balls, pics from the draft day, table name cards etc

-I've only redeemed one card since I got back into collecting, i've had no trouble with it but heard a lot of people have trouble or get replacements that are unsatisfactory compared to what was supposed to be received, maybe less redemptions or some sort of clarification/agreement there or have the redemption for something that is actually there waiting to be shipped like a commemorative ball or signed hat or jersey

-Higher quality inserts - i used to love the look of the old Scoring Kings, Jambalaya etc, no need to have a 1 per pack when it's so plain looking you cant tell it's an insert and then when you find out, it's worthless anyway

-Better photos of the players on higher end cards, it's fine having a 1/1 or low numbered card then you've got this ugly pic on it, looks like a 5 year old took the photo or that the player was actually having a bowel movement, surely there's some awesome photographers out there with some awesome high quality action shots

-Less auto's? Not sure how to do this though, people seem to be so used to getting them now but I'm such a fan of the original Autographics release still, now getting an auto of some player who is not in the league or won't be for a year or 2 because they've gone overseas for development is not appealing. Also, less as in numbered, #'d of 6350 auto :lol: wow, so bad

Anyway, thats it for now, just sitting here watching morning news racking my brain after seeing this thread, will post if any more comes to mind.

Here's hoping Panini understands their opportunity to revitalise what seems like a flagging, complacent hobby, cheapened by over-supply of some products. I know the demand came with the boom for auto's and lower numbered stuff but then every brand jumped on the band wagon and prices dropped faster than Paris Hilton's panties.

Good luck and can't wait to see what comes out, we just have to survive the last release of products by brands that know theyre on the way out, will they offload all the crap sitting in the basement or will they go out with a boom?

:thumbsup:

I originally posted something like this on Beckett month's ago, but I will post it here too.

If I owned a card company this is what i'd do -

four sets a year - 3 dual series sets and 1 single series set.

Base brand set - a very concise set covering all players under contract with no more than two parallels over all and 3 inserts per series. Series 1 would be released in mid/late november to get all players under contract, with series 2 released in March to get all traded players and late signees (NBDL sign-ups for eg) and the all-star game.

Mid-level brand - 8 players per team over two series with two parallels and a third serially numbered parallel. No more than three inserts per series. Series 1 release in december, series 2 in April.

Design.

Each set should have a different design (well, duh). But keep it simply stupid. Each year, add a little to each design until nothing more can be done, then go back to the drawing board and start all over again. This way we don't get shocked from year to year with designs that have no relation to previous ones (re- skybox in the 1990's, who remembers those shockers).
Premium set - dual series with 6 players per team. Two basic parallels and two serially numbered parallels. 4 inserts per series (including memorabilia and AU's). Seris 1 released in January, series 2 in late april/early may.

High end series - 3 players per team, inserted rookies. One base parallel, 2 serially numbered parallels. 5 inserts all up. Release date late may/early june.

Auto's must be on card.

Redemptions only as a last resort and only if it can be guaranteed. Otherwise forget it.

Box colation must be consistent. ditto for box/case odds.

Hot Packs - hot pack content must be exclusive, not just a parallel of what you can get elsewhere. A good idea would be this - 1 6 card hot pack insert available only in hot packs. 1 Hot Pack AU, one Hot pack Memorabilia card - all exclusive to hot packs. an ideal thing with the AU's/memorabilia's would be for these cards to be company spokesman i.e players signed to contracts with the company. And every box in a case has a different hot pack content. This hot pack should also be a bonus pack thus not taking away from the over all box content.

Back
Top Bottom