Elite Classic High Stakes Hoops - OneHD

MattWasGF4L

Administrator
Real Name
Matt
COMC User
GarnettFan4Life
Bit of a late post since Game 4 of 4 has just started but thought I would let people know who may not because there is heaps of games to go in the tournament!!!!

Elite Classic High Stakes Hoops

Sponsored by Foot Locker

$250000 minimum prize pool, $175000 to winning team.

Not sure how much publicity this received in Adelaide where it is being held, but there is virtually 0 crowd there, first game had like 10 people and now there's prob 100 at the 4th game. Wasn't expecting much but this has been a cracker!!!!!

Seeing Willie Farley come in and hit some shots, Maher too, Corey Williams is playing in this game, you've got Bruce Bolden as one of the coaches, celebrity owners, term used loosely of course, US college players flew in, veteran players, younger kids, man this has been great.

The interesting addition to this tournament has been the the Game Breaker Play!

THE 'GAME BREAKER'
On two occasions during each game, the coach or on-court captain of each team may opt to use a 'Game Breaker' phase. Over the next three minutes of clock time the team in the 'Game Breaker' phase has each successful 3-point shot counted as 4 points. The backboard to which that team is shooting will be lit in green, denoting that the 'Game Breaker' phase is current. When the 3 minutes of that 'Game Breaker' expire, the green light turns off. Each team may use one 'Game Breaker' in the first half, and one in the second half. First-half 'Game Breakers' cannot be carried over into the second half. Teams that may be 12 or 15 points behind are suddenly only a few made shots away from being back in the contest. Also, leads can be gained or extended quickly, and no team is ever really out of the contest due to the potential offensive frenzy of these 3-minute phases.

Some of the rosters have been changed but here was one of the listed teams/players:

Coasters (Julie Corletto)

Coach: Darryl McDonald

Players: D’Lancy Carter, Brad Davidson , Bennett Davison, Mike Helms, Sean Lampley, Sam Mackinnon, Luke McMillan, Kevin Ratzch.

Cyclones

Coach: Bruce Bolden

Players: Mario Brown, BJ Carter, Graeme Dann, Brad Gerlach, Ryan Kersten, Steve Markovic, Clint Reed, Terrence Woodberry.

Fleet (Brett Maher)

Coach: Ken Cole

Players: David Carson, Tom Daly, Willie Farley, Chris Goulding, Troy Jackson, Riley Luettgerodt, Brett Maher, Chris Molitor, Luke Schenscher.

Monarchs. (John de la Torre)

Coach: Al Green

Players: Nick Brear, Scott O’Gallagher Wayne Oliver, Ed Millard, Rashard Tucker, Isiah Victor, Martinis Woody, Galen Young.

Pythons (Lance Franklin)

Coach: Mark Bradtke.

Players: Tony Danridge, Michael Florence, Kevin Johnson, Harry Lum, Michael McDaniel, John Rillie, Geremy Robinson, Dante Sykes, Corey Williams.

Rays (Pat Reidy/Matt Shanahan)

Coach: Matt Shanahan

Players: Peter Crawford, David Fisher, Adam Gibson, Brad Hill, Kevin Lisch, Damien Martin, Freddy Robinson, Tony Ronaldson.

Reef (Stewart Briggs/Dale Ryan)

Coach: Dale Ryan and Mick Downer

Players: David Bartholomaeus, Todd Blanchfield, Jason Cameron, Shane Edwards, John Fitzgerald, Blagov Janev, Nathan Niesler.

Rush (Lanard Copeland)

Coach: Sedale Threatt

Players: Michael Boone, Chris Brown, Brad Bridgewater, Daniel Dillon, Thalo Green, Lonnie Harrell, Mike Rose, Matt Smith, Sedale Threatt Jr, Yusuf Qaafow.

---------- Post added 06-04-2010 at 06:14 PM ----------

Here's the schedule :

Tuesday 6 April
12:00 pm Cyclones v Monarchs
2:00 pm Coasters v Rays
4:00 pm Fleet v Rush
6:00 pm Reef v Pythons

Wednesday 7 April
12:00 pm Pythons v Coasters
2:00 pm Rush v Cyclones
4:00 pm Rays v Reef
6:00 pm Monarchs v Fleet

Thursday 8 April
11:00 am Fleet v Cyclones
1:00 pm Reef v Coasters
3:00 pm Rush v Monarchs
5:00 pm Pythons v Rays

Friday 9 April
4:00 pm Semi-Final #1
6:00 pm Semi-Final #2

Sunday 11 April
4:30 pm Championship Game

Also looking forward to this on Saunday!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ‘$10,000 Game Breaker Challenge’ is a high-stakes shooting competition that will be conducted throughout the Foot Locker Elite Classic – High Stakes Hoops, resulting in the winner taking home a cheque for $10,000. Heats will be held during the first three days of pool play to determine the finalists, who will compete at halftime of the Championship Game on Sunday 11 April.

They said in an earlier game that Brett Maher had a practice round the other day and made 25 of 25 !!! :woot:

I'll be going Friday! Was going to go to at least 2 days worth but have family down!! I think it's a great idea, but, even though its school holidays it was going to have a problem drawing a big crowd, no matter where it was held! Friday and Sunday should see decent crowds! Julius Hodge is laying for the Monarchs and lines up against Mahersy tomorrow which I was hoping to see but oh well!

I think this is more of a run for some players to get looked at by scouts and get some Aussie Ball back on Free to Air leading up to the new season!

Bloody sensaational, SO much basketball on free to air this week, like 40 hours +!!!!!
Unbelievable

Good stuff mate, give us a report after you go to the games!

My TiVo was recording this for me. Seems like a good idea pre refiring up the NBL, almost like a training camp/scouting session. But why the hell were they bothering to announce the players coming into the stadium when there were, I don't know, about 13 people in the crowd? It was "And starting at small forward, make some noise for....JULIUS HODGE!!!", which was met with the sound of literally about 6 hands clapping. Hopefully the crowds build up later in the week/on Sunday.

Bloody sensaational, SO much basketball on free to air this week, like 40 hours +!!!!!
Unbelievable

Good stuff mate, give us a report after you go to the games!

You'd like to think Friday night (Semi's) and Sunday for the Championship Game, would draw decent crowds! Mind you, they haven't excatly advertised ti really well, other the the Advertiser, Boti Nagy talking about it, there hasn't been much at all.

The only thing with Friday is, instead of having 4pm and 6pm tip offs, should be 7pm and 9pm or even 6.30pm and 8.30pm, they'd draw a decent crowd for it!

---------- Post added 06-04-2010 at 08:43 PM ----------

My TiVo was recording this for me. Seems like a good idea pre refiring up the NBL, almost like a training camp/scouting session. But why the hell were they bothering to announce the players coming into the stadium when there were, I don't know, about 13 people in the crowd? It was "And starting at small forward, make some noise for....JULIUS HODGE!!!", which was met with the sound of literally about 6 hands clapping. Hopefully the crowds build up later in the week/on Sunday.

woops, was meant to quote this^^

Agree, that was awkward, running out to no crowd, yay!

Not sure how much publicity was done, but I like to think I am a huge bball fan and I heard virtually nothing of it except it came up on my tvguide.com.au then I bookmark emailed it.

Agree with the scouting idea, the NBL coaches owners must be having a field day and I think some of the footage will definitley make it overseas to other scouts!

Love it, look forward to the other games tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

Saw a couple of minutes of it today, as others have said, virtually nobody in the crowd. Might record a few games tomorrow on the PlayTV.

Its been advertised on One, seen the ad for it multiple times. The ad didn't say much about who was playing it it, nor what the high stakes were.

Didn't know about the Game Breaker phase, does sound good though.

I was really looking forward to this, but after sitting through most of it all day, I was alittle under-whelmed.

There is certainly some decent players, there is alot of fringe NBL players, ex-NBL imports, recently retired NBL players and a few young NBL stars, but most of the imports aren't even NBL quality.

I know it would have been hard to scout these players prior to signing them, but Corey Williams's team is terrible! Full of yanks and they will be lucky to win a game.

The quality will probably (or hopefully) get better by Friday though.

Saw a couple of minutes of it today, as others have said, virtually nobody in the crowd. Might record a few games tomorrow on the PlayTV.

Its been advertised on One, seen the ad for it multiple times. The ad didn't say much about who was playing it it, nor what the high stakes were.

Didn't know about the Game Breaker phase, does sound good though.

Well worth a look!

One of the games today, a team was up like 20, the other team took the gamebreaker option, hit a few 3 pointers (now worth 4), brought it back to even by the half! even though it got blown out again it was definitley a great addition where the game is almost never out of reach, makes it more exciting!

One of the young kids, Todd Blanchfield in the Reef team, caught fire in the last game today, hit 24 points in the half, ended up with 30 or so, great shooting!

Yeah, I didn't see one drop of advertising for this, so not exactly what you would call great publicity work. But, it has it's use I think. I like how they call them "NBA style" 48 minute games...what, just like the NBL used to be in it's heyday? And the 4 point powerplay sections are interesting if not very weird...can't believe I saw people going for layups in that time...jack the 4's, it's the highest percentage shot during a powerplay!!!

I was really looking forward to this, but after sitting through most of it all day, I was alittle under-whelmed.

There is certainly some decent players, there is alot of fringe NBL players, ex-NBL imports, recently retired NBL players and a few young NBL stars, but most of the imports aren't even NBL quality.

I know it would have been hard to scout these players prior to signing them, but Corey Williams's team is terrible! Full of yanks and they will be lucky to win a game.

The quality will probably (or hopefully) get better by Friday though.

You were looking forward to it and somewhat disappointed, I wasn't expecting much and was pumped!

---------- Post added 06-04-2010 at 10:30 PM ----------

Yeah, I didn't see one drop of advertising for this, so not exactly what you would call great publicity work. But, it has it's use I think. I like how they call them "NBA style" 48 minute games...what, just like the NBL used to be in it's heyday? And the 4 point powerplay sections are interesting if not very weird...can't believe I saw people going for layups in that time...jack the 4's, it's the highest percentage shot during a powerplay!!!

Corey Williams didn't pass up a shot :lol: let alone a 4pt'er!! hit a couple too and Maher came on for a set play and swish!! was a great play!

You were looking forward to it and somewhat disappointed, I wasn't expecting much and was pumped!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bball junky and will watch any game, but for a tournament that had so much promise, a couple of the teams are fairly weak and there is too many yanks trying to do their own thing.

Like I said though, it was probably difficult to scout some of the imports before drafting/signing them. Maybe some bigger name players will commit to the tournament next year.

All 4 games ended up in blow-out win, which was also disappointing.

Hopefully it gets better and if it returns next year, hopefully some of these issues can be ironed out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bball junky and will watch any game, but for a tournament that had so much promise, a couple of the teams are fairly weak and there is too many yanks trying to do their own thing.

Like I said though, it was probably difficult to scout some of the imports before drafting/signing them. Maybe some bigger name players will commit to the tournament next year.

All 4 games ended up in blow-out win, which was also disappointing.

Hopefully it gets better and if it returns next year, hopefully some of these issues can be ironed out.

I think it will be a lot closer today! some of the late additions who got in on late flights will get some rest and the team matchups will change around!

---------- Post added 07-04-2010 at 11:45 AM ----------

lol you beat me to this thread, did you get all those teams from that site where there is a picture of bogut on the top of the page?? good site for the new competition

AussieBball | Australian Basketball News & Forum

Well today's games have definitely been better.

I just hope the quality of play increases again tomorrow, or at least stays the same.

Note to Wildcats: Please do whatever you have to do to re-sign Kevin Lisch.

Watched a bit of it today. Not too bad. Small crowds too......would have been good to go see if I was in Adelaide.

Didn't know Sedale Threatt was in Australia, or his son was in Australia. I remember him playing back in the times when the Lakers were trying to find their feet after losing Magic and the rest of the good times of the 80's. Sedale, Elden Campbell, Vlade Divac, Anthony Peeler.....with some of the old guard of Worthy, Byron Scott, AC Green.

Ersk

Well today's games have definitely been better.

I just hope the quality of play increases again tomorrow, or at least stays the same.

Note to Wildcats: Please do whatever you have to do to re-sign Kevin Lisch.

agree with that for Perth, if they don't it would be a BIG loss!

We've already lost Tragardh to Melbourne for next season, sux big time!

What is this comp...I was watching it today like where are the teams from...
and where is it at...

While im a Massive 36ers fan and hold Mahersy in the highest respect, the crowd is really starting to piss me off with it's constant boo'ing of Hodge! Seriously, I know what he did was sh!thouse, I was loosing it at the game, but really, living with it for ever? Was making me laugh now its just getting annoying!!

Some very good ball being played, the level is increasing each game!

What is this comp...I was watching it today like where are the teams from...
and where is it at...

Elite Classic High Stakes Hoops

Sponsored by Foot Locker

$250000 minimum prize pool, $175000 to winning team.

in Adelaide

Teams drafted (picked) by owners and coaches I gather, hence why Brett Maher has Willie Farley (ex 36er) etc

---------- Post added 07-04-2010 at 07:50 PM ----------

While im a Massive 36ers fan and hold Mahersy in the highest respect, the crowd is really starting to piss me off with it's constant boo'ing of Hodge! Seriously, I know what he did was sh!thouse, I was loosing it at the game, but really, living with it for ever? Was making me laugh now its just getting annoying!!

Some very good ball being played, the level is increasing each game!

agree and agree mate!

he is playing fantastic

haven't seen him talk about it much but seems like he is more playing it off now as tough guy or not givin a **** about it, Brett Maher doesn't really seem to care and said that in an interview so yeah, maybe people can move on. Having said that, I dunno what I'd be like if it was my home court and a respected vet, prob somewhere in the middle, prob boo until todays over or so :lol:

Back
Top Bottom