EBay Seller of the Month

These are the rest of the books I brought.

16726407735068332670626039325540.jpg

1672640810418112290632803597546.jpg

16726408544918834882336321828297.jpg

16726409082716031227623404308736.jpg
If anyone is interested all the books are for sale,except the Newtown books.The books are $2.00 each + postage.The only drawback might be cost of postage.Thanks for looking.🙂

Over the last couple of months I have noticed quite a few collectors of NRL cards seem to be selling there collections and getting out of the hobby.Is it because of the product that has been produced over the last few years,to high prices,cards not up to what the collectors want or has the shine gone out of the hobby.

Over the last couple of months I have noticed quite a few collectors of NRL cards seem to be selling there collections and getting out of the hobby.Is it because of the product that has been produced over the last few years,to high prices,cards not up to what the collectors want or has the shine gone out of the hobby.
Personally I believe it’s due to most people no longer being able to complete sets. NRL collecting is a relative small market compared to most so has always been about completing sets but that is all but gone now. That and the cost of you do attempt to try.

I think there are a number of factors in play here.

Firstly, the concern is when long term collectors such as Mark Johnson jump away, this is when you know the hobby might have some issues.

While it seems plenty are getting out, some of those are the ‘bedroom breakers’ that emerged during the boredom or COVID, went hard and after a couple of years are looking for something else, hence the sell up.

Jarrod is correct in that the NRL aspect of the hobby is somewhat niche however within that, there are a variety of collectors. For example, I can think of at least ten who don’t post on any pages but put together a folder and base set every release and then chase IP’s of their team base only. No packets bought, no boxes, just very simple.

In my opinion, the biggest issue is with TLA. The over production, replication, poor quality control, poor customer service with redemptions and laziness drives customers away. TLA have shown some great initiative and produced some amazing cards in their ten years but are still making errors they shouldn’t be. To be fair, I see some of the same issues with other big names in the industry.

Premiership predictors only being redeemable to 50 (premiers aside), pointless, why number them? Save money and produce another set. The Legends case cards, these were a great option when they were /325, now /30, selling for more than double the signature version with an error they don’t replace !!

Inconsistency (no Legends case cards in 2019) also hurts and sets being impossible to complete.

Lastly, hobby etiquette is gone. Once, you would trade up or down to help someone, knowing it would work out. Many new collectors rip like crazy (or smash breaks) and then flip to get money back. It makes me laugh when I see someone listing a card for sale using a screen shot from the break currently being run!! To that end, the want for a collector to make money is very evident by the amount of new breakers popping up.

Anyways, all the above aside, sometimes life just gets too busy and priorities change. If you can afford to collect in any capacity in the current environment, you should be happy !

Last edited:
I think there are a number of factors in play here.

Firstly, the concern is when long term collectors such as Mark Johnson jump away, this is when you know the hobby might have some issues.

While it seems plenty are getting out, some of those are the ‘bedroom breakers’ that emerged during the boredom or COVID, went hard and after a couple of years are looking for something else, hence the sell up.

Jarrod is correct in that the NRL aspect of the hobby is somewhat niche however within that, there are a variety of collectors. For example, I can think of at least ten who don’t post on any pages but put together a folder and base set every release and then chase IP’s of their team base only. No packets bought, no boxes, just very simple.

In my opinion, the biggest issue is with TLA. The over production, replication, poor quality control, poor customer service with redemptions and laziness drives customers away. TLA have shown some great initiative and produced some amazing cards in their ten years but are still making errors they shouldn’t be. To be fair, I see some if the same issues with other big names in the industry.

Premiership predictors only being redeemable to 50 (premiers aside), pointless, why number them? Save money and produce another set. The Legends case cards, these were a great option when they were /325, now /30, selling for more than double the signature version with an error they don’t replace !!

Inconsistency (no Legends case cards in 2019) also hurts and sets being impossible to complete.

Lastly, hobby etiquette is gone. Once, you would trade up or down to help someone, knowing it would work out. Many new collectors rip like crazy (or smash breaks) and then flip to get money back. It makes me laugh when I see someone listing a card for sale using a screen shot from the break currently being run!! To that end, the want for a collector to make money is very evident by the amount of new breakers popping up.

Anyways, all the above aside, sometimes life just gets too busy and priorities change. If you can afford to collect in any capacity in the current environment, you should be happy !
I had no idea Mark Johnson was leaving the hobby till the other day.I bumped into a friend while I was looking for cds at Vinnies and he told me what you just said.Almost every day I look for rugby league cards on Topend and Facebook marketplace and there are some great buys from rugby league collector's who say there leaving the hobby.

I had no idea Mark Johnson was leaving the hobby till the other day.I bumped into a friend while I was looking for cds at Vinnies and he told me what you just said.Almost every day I look for rugby league cards on Topend and Facebook marketplace and there are some great buys from rugby league collector's who say there leaving the hobby.
But despite all of the negative aspects which I have listed, this is still a great hobby. There are plenty of good people, other collectors, dealers etc.

I think you just have to find your 'niche' in the hobby and have some flexibility. I was always a Canberra team collector first and foremost. Over the last few weeks, I have decided to not chase high end mojos or priority variants moving forward. Don't get me wrong, some of these are great cards and if I hit one in a break, I would keep it, but you have to keep things in check somewhere and be okay with that. I get far more enjoyment out of the older cards and will continue to backfill my older Select and Scanlan's sets.

But despite all of the negative aspects which I have listed, this is still a great hobby. There are plenty of good people, other collectors, dealers etc.

I think you just have to find your 'niche' in the hobby and have some flexibility. I was always a Canberra team collector first and foremost. Over the last few weeks, I have decided to not chase high end mojos or priority variants moving forward. Don't get me wrong, some of these are great cards and if I hit one in a break, I would keep it, but you have to keep things in check somewhere and be okay with that. I get far more enjoyment out of the older cards and will continue to backfill my older Select and Scanlan's sets.
I totally agree with what you said.Im now trying to get back some of the select cards I let go, continue to buy the retirement cards, and to buy some of the esp/tla auto,s,but very few.

I totally agree with what you said.Im now trying to get back some of the select cards I let go, continue to buy the retirement cards, and to buy some of the esp/tla auto,s,but very few.
I got out because of 2 simple facts, way too many numbered mojo/numbered cards and the expense,
You have not been able to collect a master set since 2015, unless you have an extemely large wallet.

I got out because of 2 simple facts, way too many numbered mojo/numbered cards and the expense,
You have not been able to collect a master set since 2015, unless you have an extemely large wallet.
I dont even consider the major f ups, ie mal case cards etc.
Thats the BIGGEST f u c k up of all time, not even offering a replacement, thats just unacceptable.
There licence should be revoked by the nrl.

Don’t forget to backfill with the Scanlens 83-85 stickers……with the 85 set consisting of 15 Raiders stickers…..they’re hard to come by too!!!!

This is a bit of a different and positive ebay post . Just got home and took delivery of the most carefully packaged card I’ve ever bought. Slightly extreme ,but better safe than sorry , so thanks Marcus haha
85A03ADB-5626-43EC-8F74-3EE2466C5706.jpeg
E33EEC11-512D-4762-8160-BFD19D945C00.jpeg
3199C68F-1755-4030-9296-27EB05957D8C.jpeg
026DBE46-E0C3-4AF0-98FF-26C397158C2E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom