Does anybody sell on ebay?

I'm close to done selling on ebay. They have become extremely greedy and customer service is rubbish

It's a 12.8 % commission but that includes your postage and now also includes the customs tax that an international buyer pays plus they have a $2 international fee. All up this pushes it closer to 20%. I just sold a card I had listed for $230. However ebay will charge commission on $287( $230+$29 postage+ 10GST on the amount of $259 which is $26) as they include postage, customs duty,). I'm surprised they don't also take a commission on the $2 international fee.

It's pretty ordinary imo. The only benefit is that you get your cash within 3 days as opposed to a month if you send to comc.

I cringe whenever I sell an item overseas as it means less money. If the card is less than $100 I don't offer international anymore.

My ebay will now be for cards $3-$100 max. Everything else - as well as all ice hockey cards which have no market here - is going to comc. It also ends up being around 20% if you factor in the 5% sales commision and the 10% cash out fee plus listing and postage fees. However, unlike previous submissions to comc I'm not going to cash out but buy the best card I can get.

Also, if you haven't sold on ebay before they will keep your money in escrow for 3 weeks - at least they used to do that until you built up a dozen sales with 100% feedback. I remember chasing them up asking them to release the money as the buyer had received their item and left positive feedback. They just take advantage wherever they can because they effectively have a monopoly.

Good luck with them.

Last edited:
I'm close to done selling on ebay. They have become extremely greedy and customer service is rubbish

It's a 12.5 % commision but that includes your postage and now also includes the customs tax that an international buyer pays plus they have a $2 international fee. All up this pushes it close to 20%. I just sold a card I had listed for $230. However ebay will charge commission on $280 as they include postage, customs duty, and international fee. It's legalised theft imo. The only benefit is that you get your cash within 3 days as opposed to a month if you send to comc.

I cringe whenever I sell an item overseas as it means less money. If the card is less than $100 I don't offer international anymore.

My ebay will now be for cards $3-$100 max. Everything else - as well as all ice hockey cards which have no market here - is going to comc. It also ends up being around 20% if you factor in the 5% sales commision and the 10% cash out fee plus listing and postage fees. However, unlike previous submissions to comc I'm not going to cash out but buy the best card I can get.

Also, if you haven't sold on ebay before they will keep your money in escrow for 3 weeks - at least they used to that until you built up a dozen sales with 100% feedback.

Good luck with them.

Charge more postage. I am upping the postage and if they want it, they cop it

I've thought about it but I'm not really that comfortable with that idea. And for a US buyer to buy from you you're already significantly below comps. They are paying postage, Customs duty and they have to wait two weeks. If you put more postage on top it makes it even harder to sell.

I probably should have included this card in my comc submission but needed the cash.

I've thought about it but I'm not really that comfortable with that idea. And for a US buyer to buy from you you're already significantly below comps. They are paying postage, Customs duty and they have to wait two weeks. If you put more postage on top it makes it even harder to sell.

I probably should have included this card in my comc submission but needed the cash.
I know, but sadly I just have to do it.

I don't sell much due to this

I sell on both eBay and COMC.

eBay is where I list cards that I'm less desperate to get rid of, and I set prices high with offers allowed. Cards I list on eBay are usually $200+. My approach to selling on eBay is have a sale number that I'll accept, and then expect the entire shipping payment plus a dollar or two to be taken by eBay. Obviously this gets higher as sale prices get higher, but at least it's a consistent ripoff :lol: Most of my sales on eBay are international, so I'm not cutting off that audience.

COMC gets cards I just want to "set and forget". These cards are usually under $150. The lower the card value, the less sense it makes to offer internationally on eBay because the shipping becomes more of a deterrent. COMC gets less lowball offers, but more consistently offers at the largest discount you'll accept in settings.

The other side of the coin is places like PWCC, where the buyer has to pay that 20% Buyer's Premium on top of the sale price. Which obviously gets the seller more $, but makes the buyer willing to pay less in the first place.

The whole selling game is a bit of a mess, but moving cards to get funds for other cards is way more important to me than worrying about $10 lost through eBay here and there.

If I'm looking at the whole buying and selling piece it just comes down to who has the most eyes on their members products.

eBay is currently the biggest market for trading cards and with this title, they can essentially charge whatever they want. So when you pay their fees you are paying for all the hard work they've done previously to attract those eyes.

Then somewhere like COMC has added fees such as card scanning, uploading and storage on top of their sales commission.

Now I'm not biased at all ;), but if the biggest problem you had was fees then you could try marketplace such as MERQARY.com. We offer a range of membership tiers that cater to all types of sellers/collectors.

As an example, if you sign up to the $9.99/month membership tier you get 20 sales commission free transactions per month. This means if you sell 10 cards in the same transaction, this only counts as 1 of those 20. If the first card you sell is worth $200, there is no sales commission on this sale.

There is a payment gateway fee which is charged by Stripe (2.6% + $0.30) however I would recommend you adding $0.30 into your shipping costs. We implemented Stripe because we do not want to hold anyone's credit card details.

Apart from the payment gateway fee, you can be sure that your sales commission will be fixed at that $9.99 each month unless you're selling more than 20 transactions. If this is the case, you can choose to remain on the $9.99/month tier and just pay a small sales commission or move up to the $19.99/month tier where you will get 50 free transactions per month.

The problem we have is getting more eyes on our marketplace to make these low fees worthwhile for our members. The best way we can do it is to get more people selling their cards on our site and promoting it to their friends. If we can do this, we will all benefit by paying less in fees. Then you also get the added benefit of being able to manage your collection on MERQARY too!

Sorry, got caught up writing too much about MERQARY again. This only happens because I can see the benefits to all collectors, we just need to get some traction!

Screenshot_20230705-080847.png

Charge more postage. I am upping the postage and if they want it, they cop it
I do some selling on eBay - it's a side hustle and not my main thing.
Basically I use it to sell old stock (Pops, Horror memorabilia, Books etc) from the pre-Covid era before the AUD/USD turned crap. Then as I was setting all that up to sell my mate launched a Breaking Group and I started buying random spots to help fill the breaks and help them grow etc - as I result I now have thousands of NBA and NFL cards I know nothing about.

^^ That ramble wasn't to promote was simply set up to say - eBay is time consuming, there fees are forever raising - but that's because they get the most eye-balls worldwide. At the moment I don't do international shipping due to the fee's + costs involved and even with local shipping I take a hit in every card I sell. So reading the feedback on it all here has been a little eye opening for me - so thank you all!

I'll pay postage for what is relevant and the onus should be on the seller to clearly communicate what the postage entails.

If it's free postage or $1.20, I'm prepared to cop shit packaging, especially if there's an option provided to pay the extra $5 and do it right.

Conversely I'm not interested in paying $16 for postage on cards below $50 value because old mate wants to treat them like the nuclear weapon codes, and have tracking, signature on delivery etc.

Just a level of EQ about either making your listings explanatory or having a conversation with the buyer. I'm ruthless with this shit nowadays. If you charge more for postage and do a shit job to boost the profit margin it's an instead neg from me.

Admittedly I make the effort to hand deliver where possible in Melbourne or I use my office's stationary supply so perhaps the struggle just isn't all too real to me.

I had a weird one yesterday on Facebook and copped a roasting for calling it out.

Bought $20 worth of cards on Queen's Birthday. Never arrived. Guy went from def sent Tuesday to no wait actually Thurs evening, then telling me he'd refund me and I could pay him back once they arrived, and then a week after giving him my bank details, gave me a spray calling me a liar because all the other cards he posted that day were received and refused to pay up.

Pointed out my perfect ratings on here, TCDB and eBay and showed him the receipt from APT for buying the cards I was supposed to get from him but was adamant I was trying to con him out of $20. Posted it on some of the FB groups and copped a pasting as most had good experiences with him in the past.

Likely outcome is he's put the wrong address on the package but still a shit immature way to deal with it

I usually charge $6.50 for domestic Registered, which is less than the cost to me, but not by enough that it'd deter me from charging less for that than other sellers.

Even for a $500 sale, I'll only charge like $9.50 and eat the extra postage costs myself as part of making the sale.

Any cards that aren't worth charging Registered for, either get thrown in as freebies or sent to COMC to sell.

eBay just isn't worth it for low value sales IMO.

I usually charge $6.50 for domestic Registered, which is less than the cost to me, but not by enough that it'd deter me from charging less for that than other sellers.

Even for a $500 sale, I'll only charge like $9.50 and eat the extra postage costs myself as part of making the sale.

Any cards that aren't worth charging Registered for, either get thrown in as freebies or sent to COMC to sell.

eBay just isn't worth it for low value sales IMO.
See all my sales are low value. I am happy to send them untracked as I'm willing to lose them all.

I need to check comc out. No idea how it works

AFL/VFL CARDS BUY / SELL / TRADE.
Seller was Mark Press.

Won't be much there as I did a dirty delete after the third "fuck off scammer this guy is awesome" response

Back
Top Bottom