Do you think NRL card prices recover in the medium term?

edabomb

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Eddy
Interested in opinions on this. Due to the 1/1 and crazy parallel sets I've lost my collecting mojo. This seems to be fairly common as prices on eBay seem to have dropped rapidly for all but the most rare cards around.

Can anyone see this recovering or do you think it's likely to be a long term trend as ESP continue with the licence?

It won't recover whilst a single Ebay seller gets the majority of stock.

Losing master set collectors was always going to have a serious impact. It cuts down the amount of people collecting a single card tenfold.

For long term longevity people need to be enticed to collect full sets again. I have no idea how this can happen now the horse has bolted.

As long as single packs are selling and there are huge amounts of hobby cases being sold to ebay traders I cant see anything changes. The focus is on moving cards, not collectors if that makes sense

A fair bit of truth in this.

The main point is that as long as the NRL gets its minimum guarantee (which is significant) and TLA makes a profit on its releases (which every business strives to do) the secondary market will not really matter that greatly.

Its funny how when Select had a licence, signature cards (Top Prospects) numbered to #/325 sold for anywhere around the $30 - $60 mark with the odd exception of course.

These days Young Guns limited to 130 each almost a third of the print run are selling in the same range (again there are some exceptions).

I think this comes back to the point that it seems there are a lot less collectors out there than years ago and those that are still collecting are focusing in only on their teams or specific cards.

Cheers
Matt

A fair bit of truth in this.

The main point is that as long as the NRL gets its minimum guarantee (which is significant) and TLA makes a profit on its releases (which every business strives to do) the secondary market will not really matter that greatly.

Its funny how when Select had a licence, signature cards (Top Prospects) numbered to #/325 sold for anywhere around the $30 - $60 mark with the odd exception of course.

These days Young Guns limited to 130 each almost a third of the print run are selling in the same range (again there are some exceptions).

I think this comes back to the point that it seems there are a lot less collectors out there than years ago and those that are still collecting are focusing in only on their teams or specific cards.

Cheers
Matt
Know aint that the facts right there.

This will recover over time. Esp cards I dont think will recover they have over produced since the beginning. In my opinion they have used a marketing strategy similar to dynamic which sent dynamic broke. If you look back in history there are only a few dynamic cards worth anything. Where select where a bit more cautious in which signature cards which players {sellable} and amounts produced of high end cards. The master set collector was slowed down by to many cards released. The nail was hit when recent master sets of 5 and 10 were not salable as full sets.

Last edited:
I brought a case of 2017 elite and even at the time wouldn't of recouped my money at the higher prices that cards were going for at release .Which makes me wonder what dealers are getting cases for if they can sell sapphires for $200 ? That , combined with one in particular getting 1/3 of the stock ?
That's why #/130 sigs are going for $50 and not $100

Say what you will about Wangy but the way he controlled stock flow and drip fed the market certainly helped ensure the longevity and value of Select products.

The Rugby League trading card market is in a significant lull but will head up again.

A prime example is 08 Centenary TOTC foil signatures. Beautiful cards but /600 and one per box that still get $40+ because they were never really dumped onto the market

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of the comments above.

I do not think ESP era cards will hold any value, especially when the value of a current release card is applied to previous releases (eg 2015 Ruby Mojos devalued to 2017 Ruby Mojo prices). I do not think values will pick up either. If anything, earlier ESP cards are still going down in value (with almost no exceptions)

The biggest problem imo - OVER supply by one seller has killed the market. Basically there is now no demand.

I used to be a master set collector. This year I could not be f***** even finishing the Elite silver parallel set.

I'm actually considering dumping or burning all the spare Elite common sets I have just to make room as they are WORTHLESS.

So sad when you consider how nice some of the cards are now ( RTF patches) and the quality of the players signing
I liked a heap of there cards, with the exception of way too many, many , many parallels and the amount of numbered cards.
Esp, only have themselves to blame as I have said on numerous ocassions, when you over supply a market that has limited customers, there is only 1 way to go in the end.
As Brendan said previously, supply 1 dealer that dumps it on the market when they themselves said they did not want the product dumped on the secondary market, ie ebay.
Then they only have themselves to blame.

Back
Top Bottom