Dear Foxtel....

haha..

hows the nerve of these guys at foxtel,

you play cricket, and cos it goes longer than planned they bump out the first qtr and a bit of the sonics/suns game.. spewing

then, they show all this bowling/poker/darts business but wont show a decent game of nba .. whats the go man.. and they expect you to pay money for this crap

should be a dollar per channel...

I've never seen an NBA game start from the 2nd quarter on Foxtel. When did this happen? I know that they do normally edit out all the ads and half time shows etc, in particular with replays so that they can fit more shows around the NBA game. But never heard of them showing a game that's already well into it.

I am sick of seeing the afl replays from last season when there are NBA games on.. What is going on with that? I only got foxtel for the nba!

Don't get me started!

What I don't get is how they can not guage what shows/sports programs are more popular and accordingly adjust their licenses and show more of that particular sport. With so many sport channels on Foxtel, why can't they fit in more NBA games?! It's gotta be a licensing/money issue. Very frustrating but maybe David Stern charges too much to have games shown here. :shock:

I've never seen an NBA game start from the 2nd quarter on Foxtel. When did this happen? I know that they do normally edit out all the ads and half time shows etc, in particular with replays so that they can fit more shows around the NBA game. But never heard of them showing a game that's already well into it.

Avoid that by just watching the live telecasts..... :D

Dear Foxtel.
Please randomly dish out a free life subscription to me or at least my work office so that I can watch ANY NBA at all, even a crappy Heat game.

Yours sincerely,

Drought stricken.

You would think that considering the state of basketball in the country the NBA would be giving games away to try and build viewership and then put the prices up later. But then again i have no idea how the NBA rates on Folpstel.

All i know is that they better not only show nearly every game from the Easten conf. playoffs and two games from the West like they did last season.

You would think that considering the state of basketball in the country the NBA would be giving games away to try and build viewership and then put the prices up later. But then again i have no idea how the NBA rates on Folpstel.

Pay TV has about 20% penetration in Australia (that is around 20% of homes have pay TV connected) which compares to 99% for free TV.

So your talking about a small (but paying) audience...the potential audience of NBA fans you would imagine would be a small minority of that 20%....whereas AFL, rugby league, cricket and soccer fans would be in the majority.

Unfortunately basketball would be considered a secondary sport on Australian pay TV and for the dollars they would have to pay for the rights it's most likely not economically viable to pay through the nose for a sport that won't necessarily attract viewers in any significant numbers.:(

Pay TV has about 20% penetration in Australia (that is around 20% of homes have pay TV connected) which compares to 99% for free TV.

So your talking about a small (but paying) audience...the potential audience of NBA fans you would imagine would be a small minority of that 20%....whereas AFL, rugby league, cricket and soccer fans would be in the majority.

Unfortunately basketball would be considered a secondary sport on Australian pay TV and for the dollars they would have to pay for the rights it's most likely not economically viable to pay through the nose for a sport that won't necessarily attract viewers in any significant numbers.:(

True. And many people still won't get Foxtel because (a) they make you sign up for 24 months and (b) don't offer enough different packages. Even the new "Build Your Own" package is a total joke.

So Foxtel probably can't justify showing more NBA games, but many of the NBA fans here can't justify the current Foxtel packages. And it will probably stay like that for a long time.

True. And many people still won't get Foxtel because (a) they make you sign up for 24 months and (b) don't offer enough different packages. Even the new "Build Your Own" package is a total joke.

So Foxtel probably can't justify showing more NBA games, but many of the NBA fans here can't justify the current Foxtel packages. And it will probably stay like that for a long time.

And this is why NBA will keep getting pushed down....they pay good money for the A-league rights but when it's growing at the current rate it's a sound investment.

Latest TV figures suggest game is on rise in 2007/08Article from: Peter Desira

January 26, 2008 12:00am
AUSTRALIAN soccer at club level has come of age, with nearly three million viewers watching A-League matches this season.

Fox Sports released figures yesterday showing average audiences of 136,000 a game, for a season total of 2.8 million.

That is a 23 per cent ratings rise for the league and the pay TV station, and indications are it will be higher during the finals series.

The last-round match between Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory attracted the highest audience of more than 370,000.

"The success of the A-League on Fox is indicative of a very healthy competition," Fox Sports chief executive David Malone said yesterday.

"We're confident this level of interest will continue and look forward to more fantastic ratings results through the finals series."

Soccer has always rated well when the Socceroos are playing, especially in competitive matches compared to friendlies.

But the code struggled to register more than a blip in the ratings when it was the old National Soccer League, so the Fox Sports figures are a significant change in viewing habits.

Fox Sports has broadcast every Friday and Saturday night game live, as well as games on Sunday afternoons and evenings.

FOOTBALL Federation Australia cannot be biased, but it will be hoping Sydney FC makes the A-League grand final.

FFA announced yesterday it has provisionally booked the 83,000-capacity ANZ Stadium (previously Telstra Stadium) for the grand final should Sydney make it.

The match would likely eclipse the record Australian club-fixture attendance of 55,436 set at last season's grand final between Melbourne Victory and Adelaide United at Telstra Dome.

Sydney Football Stadium, with a 45,000 capacity, will host the grand final if Sydney fails to advance.

At least one regional club, Central Coast Mariners or the Newcastle Jets, will make the grand final, and under normal circumstances would have been entitled to host the season's biggest match.

But the Mariner's Gosford home has a 20,000 limit and Newcastle's capacity is 26,000.

"If we were to keep the grand final at either of their home grounds, it would leave little or no capacity for supporters of the opposing team, or the many thousands of A-League fans who just want to be part of the biggest game of the year," FFA chief executive Ben Buckley said yesterday.

"It is not unusual for sport to have neutral venues for marquee games.

"The FA Cup, the NFL Super Bowl, the NRL Grand Final and the AFL Grand Final are notable examples.

"We believe the A-League grand final, as the most important game of the year in the competition, should be given the status it deserves and that's what we're doing."

And this is why NBA will keep getting pushed down....they pay good money for the A-league rights but when it's growing at the current rate it's a sound investment.

Unless Australia's Mens Basketball team wins the Gold in Beijing this year (won't happen), things won't change here.

The reason the A-League is so successful is due to Australia's success in the World Cup and the FFA's brilliant move in creating this A-League in the first place. Until Australia gets on the world map of basketball, I think we'll struggle to get NBA coverage here. It's a good thing that Bogut is in the NBA though, and that we have more promising talent coming through. But I think we're a long way from even getting where we were in the 90's in terms of coverage and popularity (though the fan base is still here).

The NBA needs to make more of a push here. Can you imagine if two NBA teams toured Australia in the off-season, like the Celts and Raps did in Italy during 2007? Why don't they send the team with the worst record from each Conference? They would sell out scrimmages, let alone games!

Unless Australia's Mens Basketball team wins the Gold in Beijing this year (won't happen), things won't change here.

The reason the A-League is so successful is due to Australia's success in the World Cup and the FFA's brilliant move in creating this A-League in the first place. Until Australia gets on the world map of basketball, I think we'll struggle to get NBA coverage here. It's a good thing that Bogut is in the NBA though, and that we have more promising talent coming through. But I think we're a long way from even getting where we were in the 90's in terms of coverage and popularity (though the fan base is still here).

The NBA needs to make more of a push here. Can you imagine if two NBA teams toured Australia in the off-season, like the Celts and Raps did in Italy during 2007? Why don't they send the team with the worst record from each Conference? They would sell out scrimmages, let alone games!

That's exactly what needs to happen...you'd think with having the number 1 draft pick from a few years ago that we'd be able to attract a preseason game. It's a fair indication though of how the NBA rate us as a marketplace....we're extremely small compared to China/Asia and Europe.

Reckon Allstar_Cards_inc has hit the nail on the head with every comment so far ...

Its a real pity but true ...

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Telstra have a substantial share in Foxtel ... or is that just a strategic marketing arrangement??

Three organisations I dispise ... airlines and banks in general + Telstra!!!

Not To Mention They Are All Home Games So You Get The Suckky Heat Commentators, Who Are So Biased To The Heat Even Know They Are Down 15!!!!!wtf

LOL @ today's LIVE GAME being Seattle @ Portland.

I know the execs would have thought it was another Oden v Durant showdown at the start of the year, but in hindsight it really is quite funny that it's our TV game on TNT Thursday!!

Back
Top Bottom