Chris Webber signs with............

lockymac

Graded Mint 10 by GEM!!!
Real Name
Lachlan
eBay User
lockymac
Golden State!
Well the wheel has gone full circle as they say with C-Webb re-uniting with Don Nelson. Webber and Nelson feuded after Webber's Rookie year in Goden State which led to him being traded to Washington for Tom Gugliotta and 3 draft picks.
It's a good move for the Warriors as he comes pretty cheap and gives them a skilled big man. Nelson is always saying he wants a big man who can pass.
I like the move for the Dubs.

Chris Webber told ESPN.com on Monday night that he will arrive in Oakland on Tuesday to officially re-join the Golden State Warriors and play again for Don Nelson.

"I'll be there tomorrow," Webber said via e-mail. "It's a done deal."

Webber has signed for a pro-rated share of the league's $1.2 million veteran minimum, which computes to just under $570,000 if he stays with Golden State to the end of the regular season. But he won't hook up with his new teammates before Thursday at the earliest.

Although the club is scheduled to formally announce the signing Tuesday after the 34-year-old completes a physical, Golden State plays road games in Houston and New Orleans on Tuesday and Wednesday. The soonest Webber might play would be Friday's home game against the Charlotte Bobcats -- which is also a homecoming for longtime Warriors guard Jason Richardson -- but Nelson could elect to give Webber more time to get acclimated. The Warriors have five days off for practices after the Charlotte game.

When asked to elaborate on a reunion that's arguably even more unlikely than the brief stint Penny Hardaway completed with Shaquille O'Neal's Miami Heat earlier this season, Webber said he would speak at length about his decision later this week.

But this brief proclamation to confirm that he's returning to the team and city where he began his NBA career in 1993 -- and where he lasted only one season because of a fast-crumbling relationship with Nelson -- will be sufficiently stunning to longtime Warriors fans who believe that the breakdown of the initial Webber-Nelson partnership plunged Golden State into more than a decade of despair.

Before Nelson's own surprising and triumphant return to Oakland last season, which resulted in an immediate trip to the playoffs and a historic first-round upset of the 67-win Dallas Mavericks, Golden State hadn't reached the postseason since going 50-32 in 1993-94. That was Webber's first and only season as a Warrior, but the honeymoon was one of the shortest ever seen in the league. Some six months after winning NBA Rookie of the Year honors, Webber forced a trade to Washington to get away from Nelson, who was ousted as Warriors coach and general manager soon after.

But Nelson has been warmly welcomed back to the Bay Area by the Warriors' rabid fans in spite of the initial perception that he chased off one of the most talented players in franchise history. Nelson has fronted Golden State's unlikely push to bring him back and has maintained that he and Webber reconciled years ago, when he chose Webber to replace the injured O'Neal -- over Dirk Nowitzki from Nelson's Mavericks -- as the West's starting center for the 2002 All-Star Game in Philadelphia.

Although there is widespread skepticism regarding Webber's ability to keep up with Nelson's run-and-gunners -- given the mobility issues that have hampered the 34-year-old since a serious knee injury in the 2003 playoffs and subsequent microfracture surgery -- Nelson insists that the Warriors need Webber's passing and midrange game to get them unstuck when the game slows down or their countless 3-pointers aren't dropping.

Nelson and Warriors vice president of basketball operations Chris Mullin -- one of Webber's teammates during his solitary season in Golden State -- have likewise expressed confidence that the 67-year-old coach and Webber are ready for this seemingly hard-to-fathom reunion after numerous conversations in recent days.

"I'm afraid if we don't get him here [that] our team is not strong enough to be a playoff team," Nelson said. "That's my biggest fear. I think if he comes it can benefit our team, it can benefit his and my relationship, it can benefit players on this team. I think he has a chance to make some of our players better and make our team better. Really that's all that's important. I'll get along with anybody who can help our team."

Finally, as expected.. I think Biedrins and Al Harrington might have to share a few more minutes with C-Web... I think it's a good move, CW4 back where he started LOL

thanks for the heads up

Good news for the warriors, apart for Biendrins, they're really struggling in the big man department...

My main man is back, hopefully can get some nice looking patch cards from his new warriors jersey

Thats great news.I still have his "#4" Golden state jersey from way back.Good to see.

Biedrins and Harrington + Webber in the Front Court??? Could we see it????

The Warriors needed another Big Man, but I wonder if it'll mean Harrington slumps even further.

I don't think C-Web has the legs to run like the Warriors love to.

Wonder what sort of shape he'd be in, after no playing since last year's playoffs (or has he been playing somewhere?)?

Could be a good fit if he can keep up with the fast-paced Warriors.

He hasn't played for any teams since Detroit. He turned down a huge offer to play in Greece.

As much as I like C-Webb, I just don't see how he fits in with the Warriors. Last time I checked, they like to run. Poor C-Webb has struggled the past few years, it was painful watching him in Detroit, I don't know how he's going to keep up with Davis, Ellis, Jackson and Harrington. Hope it works out for him though. :thumbsup:

nice move by the warriors... you have to say they have out manouvered everyone else and grabbed cwebb before they could... interesting to see how he will mesh with the rest of the running gunning gsw team

'...Chris Webber, behind the back and the slam. Oh my!' :lol:

man, thats an old memory.

remember that commercial in the barbershop:
Sprewell: ''and then..what did barkley say?''
Webber: '' i don't believe in role models, but you're mine !''

would be nice to see Cwebb back in rookie uniform as well...

Should never have bloody left!

Still hurts, twelve years later. His petulence set the franchise back 6-7 years.

man, thats an old memory.

remember that commercial in the barbershop:
Sprewell: ''and then..what did barkley say?''
Webber: '' i don't believe in role models, but you're mine !''

would be nice to see Cwebb back in rookie uniform as well...

Have to wait for when they wear the throwbacks, can't wait to see it too!

It's official, he signed the contract today..

Chris Webber Q & A With Matt Steinmetz

After officially signing with the Warriors, Chris Webber caught up with FSN Bay Area's Matt Steinmetz for a brief Q & A on Tuesday morning, just before Webber departed on his way to the Bay Area.

Steinmetz: How did all this come about?

Webber: At the beginning of the season I knew I was going to take a break to be with my family. I wanted to wait until later to think about where I wanted to go. Early on in the season I got a call from the Warriors, but I didn’t take it too serious. A month or so ago, they pursued me and let me know how much they wanted me, that it would be a good marriage and a good fit. Nellie and Mully won me over with their persistence.

Steinmetz: Don Nelson answered “Yes,” when asked if he thought he could coach you again. I assume you would say “Yes,” when asked if you could play for him again. Why?

Webber: Because it has never been a question of him being a good coach or not. His skills as a coach are obvious. To me, personally, we’re both older, more mature. It won’t be a problem. He’s a guy who has been very innovative in terms of how he coaches. We were the league leaders in scoring my rookie year and they’re doing the same things now. Nellie is a good coach.

Steinmetz: Seemed like you had more than one option, why the Warriors?

Webber: I thought it would be a great fit. I BELIEVE in the team. I love the fans and the area and am familiar with the situation. Nellie and Mully also made it clear to me that they still believe in me and my abilities.

Steinmetz: What can you bring to the table?

Webber: Definitely, I think I can help make everybody better. I’ve always prided myself on that. That’s who I am. I’m a veteran that can help with leadership, distributing the ball, scoring, rebounding. Whatever is needed to help this team continue to succeed, and all of which are things that I have done throughout my entire career.

Steinmetz: The court of public opinion is offering plenty of pros and cons to this move, one of the cons involving chemistry and how you might affect it? How would you address that?

Webber: I think that my career speaks for itself and shows the type of player I am. I have never had a teammate who didn’t enjoy playing with me. There are always going to be skeptics, but chemistry will definitely not be an issue.

Steinmetz: Another concern would be whether or not you can keep up with the Warriors’ running style. Can you?

Webber: Now, that’s a fair criticism. I’m older, I’ve had problems with my knee. I’ll have to prove that with time. You can always be in shape, though. After a couple of games, we’ll be able to tell.

Steinmetz: How can you help the Warriors in the halfcourt?

Webber: I can help by calming the pace down, working in the post, being a facilitator to get guys easy shots and not have to work extra hard for everything.

Back
Top Bottom