Check out my calculations - is COMC shipping a good deal?

Jester

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jeremy
Hi, I'm Jeremy. As some know, I work for Check Out My Cards. My boss decided to run a shipping special this week, and I was curious to know if it was actually a good deal for international orders. Australia is our second-largest international cutomer after Canada, which is awesome, so I did some calculations and I thought I'd post them here for you.

NORMAL SHIPPING: $3/first card, $0.25/each add'l card. INT'L FEE: $0
SPECIAL SHIPPING: $5/first 15 cards, $0.10/each add'l card. INT'L FEE: $7 (requirement: must have an account, and must pay w/ store credit)

The tipping point is 61 cards, where they both cost $18. If you order more than 61 cards, the special costs less. If you get up to 100 or 200 cards, it costs a LOT less. Anyway, it's running through next tuesday if anyone wants to take advantage. Thanks so much for supporting us, you guys.

-J

I've never had anything to complain about with shipping costs, never bought >61 cards though! Can't be unhappy about a shipping deal/discount, nice work!

COMC is a great site, it is a good idea to centralize the selling point so it is really a site built for the buyers. The shipping itself is relatively cheap when compared to buying cards on eBay, paying multiple shipping costs. But the shipping charges are not cheap when you look at it on its own because you only get 2 toploaders per stack of cards.

I am aware it is a business and the money has to be made somewhere because it takes time for people to package the cards... but one of the mysteries so far is what you are talking about... normal vs special/bulk shipping.

Normal: $3 first card, $0.25 each after
Bulk: $15 first 10 cards, $0.15 each after
Special: $12 first 15 cards, $0.10 each after

So Normal postage meets Special postage at around 50-51 cards... around $15.5
Normal postage meets Bulk postage at around 106-107 cards... around $29.25

I mean, the special postage sounds a little more reasonanle not that I can imagine people buying that amount of cards on the site and want to send it home. Sales at that quantity would normally be people buying for resale, which means no one is really benefitting from it anyway. So the offer to me is a bit of a joke. The Bulk option is even less appealing, why would anyone bother waiting for over 100 cards to build up before shipping them home!! They should just take that option away all together.

Back
Top Bottom