Celtics/T'Wolves Trade

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
Just heard that Ricky Davis, Mark Blount, Justin Reed and Marcus Banks have been traded to Minnesota for Wally Sczerbiak, Michael Olowakandi and another player.

Anyone hear anything else about this?

Cheers
Matt

Team Sends Banks, Blount, Davis and Reed to Minnesota

BOSTON - The Boston Celtics announced today that they have acquired forward Wally Szczerbiak, center Michael Olowokandi, center Dwayne Jones, and a future first round draft choice from the Minnesota Timberwolves in exchange for Marcus Banks, Mark Blount, Ricky Davis, Justin Reed, and two conditional second round draft choices.

Szczerbiak, a one-time All-Star, is averaging a career-high 20.1 points, shooting 49.5 percent from the field and 40.6 percent from beyond the arc, to go with 4.8 boards in 38.9 minutes per game. The 6-7, 235-pound forward, originally drafted 6th overall in the 1999 NBA Draft by Minnesota, has career averages of 15.5 points, shooting 50.1 percent from the field and 40.5 percent from beyond the arc, to go with 4.4 rebounds in 33.6 minutes per game.

Michael Olowokandi, originally drafted 1st overall in the 1998 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Clippers, is averaging 6.0 points and 5.6 rebounds in 23.5 minutes per game during the 2005-06 campaign. The 7-0, 270-pound center has career averages of 8.8 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 27.7 minutes per game. His best season came in 2002-03 when he averaged 12.3 points, 9.1 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game in 38.0 minutes per game for the Clippers. He was signed as a free agent by the Minnesota Timberwolves on July 16, 2003.

Dwyane Jones, signed as an undrafted free agent by Minnesota on August 26, 2005, is averaging 9.3 points and 11.3 boards per game for the Florida Flame of the NBDL. The 6-11, 250-pound center ranked 5th in the nation in rebounding (11.6) and blocks (3.0), while averaging 10.1 points per game for St. Joseph's in 2004-05. An early entry candidate for the 2005 NBA Draft, Jones averaged 7.1 points and 8.5 boards per game in three seasons with St. Joseph's.

"We are ecstatic to acquire a player of Wally Szczerbiak's quality to complement Paul Pierce and our young talent base", said Celtics Executive Director of Basketball Operations, Danny Ainge. "In Wally we are receiving an All-Star player who is playoff tested and who has been a winner at all levels. We wish Ricky, Mark, Marcus, and Justin continued success in Minnesota."

Davis's stock has gone up heaps since coming over to the Celts and showing he can play second fiddle. He has been great for us. Banks was always on borrowed time with Delonte's progress and Greens.

This will change up the rotations a fair bit. Perkins should still start and Al at PF. Wally at SF now PP to sure up the backcourt with Delonte.

Wally's stats are pretty similar to Davis's. I'd like him to get some more boards though.

I say this trade says those at Boston like what they see in Tony Allen and shipped Davis while his stocks were high.

The Wolves certainly get better though. Davis, Hudson and Banks will help and Blount doesn't need to rebound as much with KG there not that he can or will do anyway.

Khandi will last one year in Boston and then we get some cap relief. The wolves had to pay a 15% trade kicker on top of Blounts big contract so they must have really wanted this deal.

While the Wolves did better for now maybe in a team sense they have little room to move now in the future. Banks only has this year left though. On the other hand the Celts keep Wally, let Khandi go and only loose Reed and Banks both who are seldom used. Room to move in the future and make this trade look better.

The trades begin it seems...

Kandi man didnt seem to be showing he could do much of late, with Griffin in Minnesota stepping up a notch.

Who will start at C? Lafrentz, or Kandi? Or does Perkins play C, and will he start instead?

Perkins has been starting for a while now Mavs. This is a good trade for the Celts future me thinks. Blount was usless and we come out fairly well. It was always going to be difficult to move his albatross contract but we did.

Good ridence you big turnover dipshit!

Best of luck to Ricky. Thanks for the D Mr Reed and I really hope you learn to pass Marcus.

Tks bud, wasnt sure what their lineup was.

Not sure about Wally.... is he that good, or is it flushes?

I mean, I've seen his stats from a few games this year. But has he been inconsistent or is it just an improvement from last season, or has he always been like this?

Excuse my ignorance, just not a T'Wolves fan. lol.

As a sidenote, the Suns acquired 7-footer Nikoloz Tskitishvili from the T'wolves for a 2006 second-round draft pick.
I don't know who can replace him..

im so sad.. danny ainge is a losser.
toronto's retrad gm got fired today and ainge hopefully will be next, he cant go through a season without trading. Picks up olo for cap space but he will be used and he will suck big time, wally cause hes white and some shitty nobody.
I am at cross-roads at the moment and am really pissed. :mad:

banks and reed will get deserved playing minutes at the wolves. Banks will proballly start.

i am still trying to comprehend this mess. :shock:

HUH?? We got the good end of the deal Jon. Danny has done a good thing.

How can you knock him???

he does it every year...
trades for tripe.
wally is decent but who would give up all that (ricky d/banks/blount/reed) for wally and possibly the shittest center ever.
i see what hes trying to do, but he had ants in his pants and could of got better but instead he cant wait and when an offer hits him in the face he cant resist. Im sorry but i have never like danny ainge at the helm of boston he's destroying the franchise.
it might seem a bit biased because ricky davis is my favourite player but i dont agree with his decisions.

g.green to the nbdl for one, the team we had were geling nicely. I read an article saying that they were playing better ball than last year when they clinched the atlantic division and then it all goes to shit. It's going to take even longer for boston fans to witness playoff glory again.
a shame.

First of all you are missing the point. We were never going to challenge with the other roster of Walker/pierce for a title. Thats what is all about.

Without those trades you mention Ricky D wouldn't even be in Boston! That simple. We now have youth wich we didn't. We now have potential wich we didn't and more importantly we now have some cap relief coming not to mention another 1st round draft pick.

Shitttest Centre ever?? He is going in 40 games. Thats why he is a Celtic.

Wally is a decent player that will fit in well. PP and Ricky D were too similar and one had to go. They chose Ricky D. Banks was never a PG. More a SG in a PG body and he was third in the rotation. I always said he was going. Reed supplied D and that was it. Couldn't crack the rotation either so no big deal. Not like he cost us a lot. And good ridence to the overpaid slug that didn't want to play after we gave him his big contract. Blount Sucks and Kendrick is the future.

Not sure why you are at Danny?? The only loss I'm upset about is Dick Harter. He should have stayed put to help out.

So now we have more balance, Same pts production, Same height, another pic and more cap space coming.

Danny is at least trying to improve it for the future. We are a very young team but just look at what we have to look forward too. Delonte, Allen, Al, Perk, Green, etc etc. Add Wally and PP with a healthy Raef and thats ok. At least we have a future now.

Without trades those picks wouldn't have come and they wouldn't be in green now except maybe Perk.

Do you really think the team could just continue and it would blossom??

Changes had to be made.

Bigger picture Jon.

Anyojne know if that 1st round pick is protected?
If its unprotected, then I like the trade for the Celts
Especially if it falls in the Greg Oden draft!

i cant see the rotations. i know you looking at the bigger picture but we were starting to gel and play much better basketball.
our young guys are good dont get me wrong,
big al and perkins are holding down their positions
and then delonte, g.green, o.greene, tony allen
but they wont be ready for quite some time, you need more than 1 superstar in a team that is going to challenge for a title. We have one we had two and players on the rise, and now we have to wait more years to establish another genuine star/superstar. if you are going to trade your second best player
#2 in scoring, #1 in assists and #4 in rebounds you better aswell get a star in return. Its similar to what fuked up toronta trading vince for eric williams and other scrubs. they also have a promising list of up and comers like joey graham, bosh, villunova but they wont be tasting the playoffs for some time.
Now the only thing that i see seperating us from them is an anchor "P.Pierce"
I know its all about the future but i want glory NOW :D
its going to kill me to watch olowokandi and wally two players i cant stand play in a celt uniform. if only we got something better in return.

and more picks is well and good but we have enough youg guys to work with, we have like 7/8 of them, thats near a complete team.. You dont look to get more than 2 rookies when u already have a young and promising team so those picks are useless.

wally will probally do alright in boston but i dont like him.
it would be interesting how the doc. and pierce felt about this move.
i heard two rumors.
1: olowokandi for blount
2. banks for flip murray

and this was a bombshell and in my opinion a bad move.

We were in no position to trade for that 'piece' you talk about to make us a contender.

There is little difference between Ricky D's stats and Wallys and Wally is a better fit so he will probably pick his up a little.

With a young team you need patience. Detroit has shown you don't need a team of stars, rather balance and defined roles.

As far as us playing better ball that wont change. Ricky D has been inconsistent of late and the other three didn't play minutes at all really as of late.

The key to the run has been Allen back, Delonte, Perk staying out of foul trouble and Al getting minutes. Nothing to do with the guys gone.

Picks are far from useless too. Teams will be all over those! They may get a decent vet to help stabilise the young team. Cmon you can do better than that ;-)

:)

Cmon you can do better than that

didnt know it was a game

imo this trade is shit, their are other celtic supporters that feel the same way.
we dont all dwell on the past chad, you play for championships, and u dont win championships if you cant keep a team together for a full year. Danny Ainge ruins the team chemistry.

The key to the run has been Allen back, Delonte, Perk staying out of foul trouble and Al getting minutes.

ahhem. yes but together pp and ricky d were combining for 50+ a game on most nights. wouldnt have half the wins without ricky d and pierce's offensive production.

ITs not a game LOL

I was mearly saying you had to explain it better than that.

A change was needed. You want glory like I do and the team as it was wan't going to get it. It needed change and if you didn't trade PP then Ricky D is the only other player of value that we would trade. Without a deal including one of them a deal for a player to help us get there is impossible.

As far as point production have you noticed that Wally and Ricky ave the same pts production? They will still combine for about 50pts a game and others will get more of the ball with the sets going for more passes and options. We can play more low post swing ball now with PP driving as Wally plays inside out better than Ricky does.

This trade doesn't effect chemistry, its streamlines the offence thru PP more effectively. It makes rotations easier and gives more court time for Allen to improve. It makes sense.

Thats not even going into the financial and pick side of it. Most of the detractors are kids on beckett etc going on about how we miss Rickys jumper and dunks etc. The older crew are all over it and like it.

Ricky didn't play much D at all either.

You want stabilty, well do you really think if the current team is kept together with Davis etc we will be a force?? We are below .500 even after a better run lately. We win the Atlantic and go out first round. Thats not Celtic.

And I know you like Ricky Jon but honestly he is not considered a star in the league by any margin. So where does the star for a star thing come into it??

Vlad what you got to put into this??? Were you happy with the roster and what of the trade?

The important thing to look at I say is not to see it as a player for player trade. Comparing players is pointless as other factors can be more or just as important.

Back
Top Bottom