Brendan_B TapnPlay CA & BBL breaks

Reading this a couple of things struck me, I think the Ashes release was 300 cases, so 3000 boxes. I would guess 50% would go to card retailer and TnP selling direct so only leaves 1500 boxes to be distributed. GNS supplies about 4000 customers so there isn't going to be enough to supply every retail outlet. In this situation opt in from retailers actively looking to sell them does make more sense than simply allocating them and then receiving a fair percentage back in months time unsold.
I cant believe that newsagencies aren't aware GNS are distributing, we have received 3 emails, a couple of A3 sized sales posters with the last couple of orders and they are the only item displayed on the home page of their website when you log in to order anything. We haven't enquired or ordered any from them at this stage so I would guess everyone of their customers has received the same.

I have gotten to know Neil quite well since TNP came on board and he is a really decent bloke and always someone who is willing to help a customer of his, but his lack of trading card knowledge and not really being a collector lets him down sometimes.

Not everyone can be a card nerd (im self proclaimed), but if you are in an industry you need to understand its intricacies and have a grasp on what your customer wants. He is learning but you cant learn in 3-4 years what people have spent 25+ years on. TLA learned this the hard way but in saying this they get it now and are making products collectors want and have been telling them to make for some time.

Most products are either a big success or a failure on 3 main factors.......its content (value for money), its quality and its distribution.

My main concern with TNP hasn't been the content as such more the price of the product and the distribution (of late). Quality in this Ashes series seems to have been a bigger issue than past releases.

Collectors these days have baseline expectations in relation to any release......if you have a serially numbered card......it has to be foil numbered. If you open up packs, you expect to get a product in good shape. If you buy a box or a case, you expect to get what you are promised. If you get a signature card the signature cant be smudged etc.

These are all little things when done right and at the right price, make your product a success. When you miss some of these things, it erodes confidence in your product and your company.

Collectors will understand if there are issues, and as long as these are kept to a minimum and offer solutions to fix them these are ok. But if the same issues are happening 4 years on, then a lot of trust in your product (which you are charging a premium price for) collectors will not be as accepting.

You only need to see the amount of Facebook warriors out there who love to have their say in their echo chambers but these comments can and do hurt perceptions of the products.

But if you get it right, with good quality at the right price point and make it available for all collectors......you can certainly make some great cards and products.

Cheers
Matt

Very well put. I’ve supported the product and will send Neil my final thoughts soon. But for me sadly the price far outweighs the quality. A few hit and misses but it all could have been forgotten had the quality been spot on. I just pray that next years Cricket really is bang on or we might not have any Cricket to collect.

I found 1 newsagent in Melbourne (Ashwood) which had the Ashes cards for sale.

They are out there. :)

Received 2 more emails from the distributors today pushing the Ashes cards and their retailer competition.

Some really great points have been made on this forum - I hope we continue to see the cards being released in the future...I'm having a ball opening packs up like a (big) kid and seeing what's inside... My other half reckons I'm like Charlie Wonka looking for the golden ticket in the Wonka Bars!!

I was in Melb CBD today and skulked around a trillion 7/11's, an old collectables shop and newsagents, and no one had them. Even locally, the two newsagents near me are on the stockists lists but neither have them or think they will get them. I'm loving the tales on the forums of random finds and results... If anyone knows of any place in the Southern suburbs of Melb that is actually physically selling packs, PM me!!! I needz ma' fix!!!!

Back
Top Bottom