Bradman card issues 1928-1970 A collectors guide book

zephyr_213

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Joe
eBay User
zephyr_213
Hey all,

Does anyone own this book by Jodi Bridges? I have been searching online to buy a copy but for the life of me, cannot find any info on it. If anyone has a copy, would be great to get a quick review to see if it is worth buying.

cheers
joe

I use this link when I’m at card shows .. I’ve copied some of the pages so I can check the cards are rarities

I have a copy of the book (#7/250) and helped Jodi in the finals months of the its production, which ran to 250 copies only and which she fully self produced & funded. This included introducing her to the owner of the largest private pre 1980's Cricket & VFL card collection in Australia, which I curate on behalf of the owner. She was able to source many of the images of the rarest Bradman cards/postcards and other items she hadn't yet sighted or obtained for the book, from this collection.

Her book is a great reference source for Bradman cards, but I'm sure even she would admit now it also helped flush out some others that weren't included in it originally and she has plans to do another version in the future.

If anyone has a query on any of the Bradman cards or any other pre 1980's cricket cards I can probably help - I have developed an image database with >35,000 digital images (Fronts & versos where applicable) of almost every cricket card ever issued from the rarest 1897 Tally Ho's & other 19th Century Australian and English cards right through to the Scanlens & Sunicrust cards of the 1970's & 80's. Beyond the 1980's when the decks got too large (Futera, Select etc) I have relegated the collection to shoe boxes and haven't tried to keep up as its hard enough finding the pre 1980's stuff that I am missing.

I have a copy of the book (#7/250) and helped Jodi in the finals months of the its production, which ran to 250 copies only and which she fully self produced & funded. This included introducing her to the owner of the largest private pre 1980's Cricket & VFL card collection in Australia, which I curate on behalf of the owner. She was able to source many of the images of the rarest Bradman cards/postcards and other items she hadn't yet sighted or obtained for the book, from this collection.

Her book is a great reference source for Bradman cards, but I'm sure even she would admit now it also helped flush out some others that weren't included in it originally and she has plans to do another version in the future.

If anyone has a query on any of the Bradman cards or any other pre 1980's cricket cards I can probably help - I have developed an image database with >35,000 digital images (Fronts & versos where applicable) of almost every cricket card ever issued from the rarest 1897 Tally Ho's & other 19th Century Australian and English cards right through to the Scanlens & Sunicrust cards of the 1970's & 80's. Beyond the 1980's when the decks got too large (Futera, Select etc) I have relegated the collection to shoe boxes and haven't tried to keep up as its hard enough finding the pre 1980's stuff that I am missing.
Can I fund a reprint of the book please. Also been trying to buy one for years!

what are the rarer cards from Bradman Records please

what are the rarer cards from Bradman Records please
Bradman Record's Series 1 = 18 numbered cards but with two #17's (2 different images on the front of the #17 card) & two #18's (two different images on the front of the #18 card), the extra two cards are by far the hardest of the 20 to find.

Bradman Record's Series 2 = 39 known cards, numbered to 32 with 7 additional cards at #1, 3, 4, 8, 10, 13 & 26. Until recently the additional #3 card had not been seen anywhere in the past 5+ years, while the additional #10 card has still not been seen or known to exist by most of the bigger Bradman card collectors at all! Any of these Series 2 cards in VG+ condition can be considered rare and throughout the past couple of years some individual cards from the series have sold for >$350 each. There is probably only a handful of collections across Australia that >20 cards in them and only a couple that have >30 of the 39 cards making the acquisition of any of them very rare and a great addition to any collection.

Ok thks. I have some with a steam roller back and some others where there are different ads on the back for the same card. How do I identify the 2nd series please. I find it very hard to add to the ad backs version ( non steam roller) set.

Examples of Reverse layout of Series 1 & Series 2 cards attached... Also Series 1 cards (1st Image) are produced on 'normal' card bond stock and only advertise Steam Rollers, while the Series 2 cards (2nd Image) are on much flimsier and weaker material (perhaps explaining why they are so difficult to find in good cond.) and advertise other Allen's products e.g. Rum & Milk Toffee, Trigs, Peppermint Tingles, Old English Butterscotch etc...

#2 (SF).jpg

#13B (2, SF).jpg

Ah ok ..then I have a few of the 2 nd series and some numbers with 2 different ads on the back. Can you find all the cards with all the different ads or not please. Also what are the difficult numbers in the 2 nd series. I am at work at the minute but will look tonight at what I have but it would be great if I had some rare numbers or numbers with rare backs. Thank you for this great info. I have some Battocks cricket cards too which I am trying to add to but they are difficult as well

Most of the extra issues (per my initial reply) are the difficult ones to find - I have 22 of the 39 Series 2 cards and sadly only have both #13's of the seven duplicate issues and don't think I've ever seen a single #4 or #10 to acquire, let alone the second one! I'm only aware of them both in one other Series 2 Collection and the collector has 36/39 Series 2 cards in the best Bradman Card collection in Australia, bar none!

There are 10 different ads so about 4 cards with each advert on the reverse & probably in time, you could get one card with each advert on the reverse but even this could prove difficult. I've been looking for Series 2's for almost 20 years and have only just broken through 50% of them last year!!! They are very difficult to find in VG+ condition.

Re: Battock's issues - U.K. cards not well documented, very little known about them here and even in U.K. difficult to find or get info on them.

Ok thank you. So in the 2nd series there are 32 cards with 7 image variations all with a possible 10 different ad backs. So in effect a complete master set , on that basis, would currently be 390 cards. Of course it could be that each card has less than the 10 different ad backs reducing the master set down pro rata. Lastly if I have any of the 7 numbers with 2 images how do I know which is the rarer image…? Promise this is my last question. And I can let you know which cards I have this evening if you are interested

NOOOO! - There are 39 known cards, numbered to 1 to 32, with 7 additional ones at the numbers identified above. 10 Different ad backs (each ad on the back of 4 of the 39 cards - one ad only exists on 3 of them!) I'm not sure how you decide which is the rarer of the two cards at each of the 7 numbers, but as I have 22/39 cards & only have the pair at #13 I'd suggest all other six double card issues are rare and #4 & #10 perhaps even more so

Always interested in what is in other collections. I have a reasonably large cricket card collection (c40 Albums of 1870's to 1980's issues - the modern stuff is relegated to shoe boxes) and enjoy making contact with others who share the same interest (especially in the U.K.) - Email if you wish to [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom