Besides Cards - what are your other interests

Someone mentioned that once you have the collecting bug, you never lose it. I couldnt agree more, and I also find that its genetic. I have 4 kids, 2 boys and 2 girls. My boys are collectors already, especially my 11 year old. He's just like me in that if he gets a couple of something, he has to try and get all of them to complete a set. Its contagious, and it can be annoying, as Im sure we all know.
Since I turned away from collecting cards recently due to the hobby just going down a path Im not really interested in (HUGE $$, way too many parallels and products - thanks Panini) I have decided to collect a couple of other NBA related items. I started collecting NBA DVD's, and currently have a pretty decent list...
I also collect, to a degree, NBA Jerseys. My goal is to get at least one jersey from every team - I currently have 26 different teams spread over 42 jerseys. I particularly like getting a jersey that has a cool story to it. For example, I hate the Knicks, but I had to get a Lin jersey, because that period when Linsanity was in full swing was a great time in my life for many reasons and I remember it fondly. Plus its a cool story. I also bought the Jason Collins jersey, because he's the first openly gay player (Im not gay; but like his story).

Oh, I also have 60+ Guns N Roses CD's (not bad for a band that only actually had 6 albums). I stopped collecting them YEARS ago though.

Anyway, this is my NBA DVD list... There isnt many more available, especially in Australia. counting every disc, I have 187 in total.

BOX SETS
1989-90 Detroit Pistons NBA Champions (11 discs)
1990-91 Chicago Bulls NBA Champions "Learning to Fly"
Dynasty Series - Philadelphia 76ers
Dynasty Series - Los Angeles Lakers
Dynasty Series - New York Knicks
Dynasty Series - Boston Celtics
Dynasty Series - Chicago Bulls
Ultimate Jordan (contains Playground, Come Fly With Me etc)
Miami Heat 2005-06 NBA Champions 15 Strong BOX SET
Miami Heat 2013 Champions 7 disc set
Miami Heat 10 disc box set (JB Hifi)
San Antonio Spurs 10 disc box set (JB Hifi)
ESPN 30 for 30
Indiana Pacers - Greatest Games vol 1
Essentials Chicago bulls
Essentials Boston Celtics
Essentials New York Knicks

SINGLES
Michael Jordan - To The Max
Magic Johnson - Always Showtime (2 disc)
Magic Johnson - The Announcement
Larry Bird - a Basketball Legend (2 disc)
Shaquille O'Neal - Like No Other
Allen Iverson - The Answer
Kevin Garnett - KG
LeBron James - More Than a Game
Yao Ming - The Year of the Yao
The Doctor - Julius Erving
Linsanity - Jeremy Lin
Kobe Doin Work (Spike Lee)
Kobe Bryant Destinys Child
Sir Charles - Barkley
Dwyane Wade - the undeniable rise of

GENERAL
The Foundation
NBA Superslams 1 & 2
The Journey to Becoming An All-Star
Dunks! Vol 1
Dunks! Vol 2
Court Essentials
Class of 03
NBA All Access with Ahmad Rashad
Greatest Moments in NBA History
Greatest NBA Finals Moments
Greatest Teams - Miami Heat
Greatest Teams - Los Angeles Lakers
Greatest Rivalries and Upsets vol 1
The NBA's 100 Greatest Plays
Dallas Mavericks 2011 Championship
LA Lakers - Touched By Gold
2007-08 NBA Champions Boston Celtics
2008-09 NBA Champions Lakers
2009-10 NBA Champions Lakers
2014-15 NBA Champions Warriors
NBA Street Series volume 3
NBA A-Z: The NBAs best bloopers, highlights and hijinx
Best of the slam dunk contest
Upsets and underdogs
Superstars 1, 2 and 3
NBA Hardwood Heroes
Superslams of the NBA 1 & 2
Dazzling dunks and basketball bloopers
Courtside comedy w/Ahmad Rashad
In the Paint
Guts & Glory
NBA Wired – A Season inside The NBA
NBA – When They Were Young

I started with stickers in the UK. In the early 80's I collected the English League and then the World Cup. Back then it was easy to find people to trade with at school (we called it swap). However I never came close to finishing any albums. I stopped collecting until resettling in Australia. I was stuck in Sydney and I hated it so I came up with something to make it more bareable by collecting World Cup stickers again in 1998. It wasn't until Euro 2012 when card sets started popping up in newsagents that my oldest son decided he would collect them, I was still a stickers man! I watched his collection grow and noted that the pictures on the cards seemed to be action rather than just portraits as with the stickers and I liked that. So I started collecting cards for 2014 World Cup. I still collected the stickers but lost interest very quickly.

For me it's not about collecting everything, it's about collecting the cards that mean something. For instance, after one of the Chilean players stuck his fingers up Cavani's arse at the recent Copa America, I no longer wanted the player's (Jara) card.

To answer you're question. My two loves are football and vinyl. I have a large Depeche Mode collection but walked into a shop last week and found about 20 records of theirs I didn't own :( Now that would be a collection to complete!

Last edited:
It has been interesting seeing what else collectors occupy their time with. One thing that I used to do and have only recently (last 2 months) started was building my own fishing rods. It's been 25 years since I wrapped a rod in anger.....lol, here is the first one back in the saddle.

Close up.jpg
IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2064.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG

Back
Top Bottom