Basketball Strategy, Stats & Insight, Promising Player Game Stats, Cool links & stories thread

I don’t think that is the case at all.

Dallas made a conscious decision they wanted to play Marjanovic and Porzingis together. That means one of them has to be on the perimeter. That is not going to be Marjanovic.

What is Porzingis expected to do. Go down to the post? Then he is sitting on top of Marjanovic and neither has room to post and Doncic has no driving range.

He has said himself he is filling a role as asked by Carlisle. Whether he is frustrated by it or not We will only know if Porzingis wants the world to.

I think the more important question is ‘why did Carlisle go this route?’.

If he wanted to punish them by going big could he not have played Porzingis as his post guy - he is only 1 inch shorter than Marjanovic and more skilled - and used Kleber more as a floor spacer. It’s not as big but it keeps Porzingis more involved and reduces the defensive short comings Marjanovic brings. They could have played less zone and not watched the Clippers shoot 50% on 3PT.

Alternately he could have staggered the minutes of Porzingis and Marjanovic. If you play Porzingis in the non Doncic and Marjanovic minutes then he can again be a focal point and utilise his skills better.

I agree on the zone. Letting Marcus Morris go off for bloody 7/9 from 3 was totally unacceptable.

Porzingis in the post? He’s allergic. He just wants to shoot 3’s and not rebound.
8pts 6reb game 5 and 7 pts 5reb in a game 6 where they could’ve finished off the Clips? Trash.

defensive stopper Josh Richardson was a non factor.

JJ Redick did not play

Jalen Brunson went MIA after having a pretty great series.

Tim Hardaway Jr was shooting fireballs in the first 2 games and then regressed to his old self

Maxi Kleber got worse as the series went 9on. He must be dealing with some post COVID stuff.
All in all a massive disappointment after starting 2-0 in the series. Maybe not that disappointing if you consider how much they were smashed by COVID protocols but that has to burn for a while.

What do the Mavs do now? I really don't want to see this go the way of Lebron at Cleveland.

John Collins would work well with Luka, looks like he won't stay with the Hawks.

KP needs to go unfortunately.

Someone was saying they should go after Beal and / or Collins. Not sure how the salary cap would work for those but that's up to them. They were all saying the right things in the post game. Essentially KP said it's up to the front office to figure things out for them and he accepted his role this season to do what the coach asked. Tough look still.

how it started vs how it ended

ld.JPG

ld2.JPG

I put some dough on last night @60-1. Very short lived ride. Should've put some on the Hawks @33-1. That will be a fun ride, especially after going 1-0 up.

Very disppointing end for the Mavs. I haven't followed it closely this year but I thought Porzingis started the season really well? Seems to have fallen off a cliff last few months.

Porzingis started the season fine and ended it fine.

It was a couple of games where they chose to start a 7 foot 4 guy and asked him to stand on the perimeter. Not sure what the scorn is about Porzingis in the post - he has a very effective mid post game. Yes, he probably does slide to the too often in general but in this case it was what he was asked to do. He has said it. Carlisle has said it. I am not sure what else he is meant to do. Go rogue and destroy the entire offensive plan?

I don’t think it was a good idea and Porzingis probably doesn’t either but ultimately that was the coach’s call.

As to their free agent moves - they are hard capped unless they renounce Hardaway’s Bird rights I believe. He has a 20mil+ cap hold.

Porzingis started the season fine and ended it fine.

It was a couple of games where they chose to start a 7 foot 4 guy and asked him to stand on the perimeter. Not sure what the scorn is about Porzingis in the post - he has a very effective mid post game. Yes, he probably does slide to the too often in general but in this case it was what he was asked to do. He has said it. Carlisle has said it. I am not sure what else he is meant to do. Go rogue and destroy the entire offensive plan?

I don’t think it was a good idea and Porzingis probably doesn’t either but ultimately that was the coach’s call.

As to their free agent moves - they are hard capped unless they renounce Hardaway’s Bird rights I believe. He has a 20mil+ cap hold.

it seems he doesn’t fit in or want to fit in. I think they will move him. Hopefully for Lillard haha 😛

Interesting stat with Barrett there @GarnettFan4Life

I know in baseball merely playing in the Majors at a young age is highly predictive of even a HOF career let alone playing well. Wonder if quantitative studies have been done on this for basketball and if that same holds true.

(Intuitively you would think it would but in basketball there is more incentive to play and develop younger players in the NBA so “worse” players may see more time early. With baseball’s salary structure you are better off doing that in the minors and game service time unless you want to win and think the young player is your best chance at doing that.)

Talk about a win/win. The Greek Freak, who is both a champion on and off the court, gets to progress while that bag of misery Kyrie does not get the opportunity to add to the ring LBJ gave him. Happy days.

Back
Top Bottom