Basketball Strategy, Stats & Insight, Promising Player Game Stats, Cool links & stories thread

Some athletes getting in big on the card game

RockPSA10.JPG

RockPSA10-1.JPG

Yes, Euroleague (keep in mind this is like the Champions League in football, Euro clubs also have their own domestic leagues) pays a lot more. For players on O’Quinns level it pays more than an NBA vet min contract. That is why there is a whole bunch of guys who could sit on the end of an NBA bench instead choose to play in Europe.

Also in Europe, star guys tend to get a lot of unpaid extras/bonuses - cars, houses etc on top of their contract.

As to living conditions, well it probably no worse - if not outright better - than, say, being in America at the moment. At an absolute guess I imagine most players would be seeing this as a one year “blip” and vaccines will make everything go back to normal...

Any cricket fans notice a change in thinking or head gear after Phil Hughes ' death?

Yes, Hughes' death did lead to a fundamental change in helmet design. Don't quote me exactly but if you reach behind your ear lobe and above the base of your neck, Hughes was hit in this approximate area. Traditionally a helmet does not extend this low and offered no protection in that area. It has become a lot more common for players to wear additional detachable protection below the base of the helmet at the back to cover this area. These are the bits you can sometimes see fly off quite spectacularly when a helmet is struck. I believe they did exist prior to Hughes' death but were not commonly used.

The death also created a lot more general awareness in the sport of head injuries and there are a lot more protocols around them now. Players are now assessed on field after any blow to the helmet and can and have been removed from the field and the game if they are not ok. A replacement player can then be brought in. This is a huge law change as never before has cricket allowed a replacement player who has the same "rights" as the original team member ie can bat and bowl as well as field.

Gone are the days of Martin Crowe wrapping a towel around his bleeding head and returning to bat (#4 on this list https://cricketopinions.com/martin-crowe-ten-finest-innings-best-batting-performances-test-cricket/).

Hughes death was certainly not the first in cricket from a ball to the head — we had one in my home town of Blenheim in club cricket many years ago — but it has certainly done as much for the sports' awareness of head injuries as anything short of the original introduction of helmets.

Yes, Hughes' death did lead to a fundamental change in helmet design. Don't quote me exactly but if you reach behind your ear lobe and above the base of your neck, Hughes was hit in this approximate area. Traditionally a helmet does not extend this low and offered no protection in that area. It has become a lot more common for players to wear additional detachable protection below the base of the helmet at the back to cover this area. These are the bits you can sometimes see fly off quite spectacularly when a helmet is struck. I believe they did exist prior to Hughes' death but were not commonly used.

The death also created a lot more general awareness in the sport of head injuries and there are a lot more protocols around them now. Players are now assessed on field after any blow to the helmet and can and have been removed from the field and the game if they are not ok. A replacement player can then be brought in. This is a huge law change as never before has cricket allowed a replacement player who has the same "rights" as the original team member ie can bat and bowl as well as field.

Gone are the days of Martin Crowe wrapping a towel around his bleeding head and returning to bat (#4 on this list https://cricketopinions.com/martin-crowe-ten-finest-innings-best-batting-performances-test-cricket/).

Hughes death was certainly not the first in cricket from a ball to the head — we had one in my home town of Blenheim in club cricket many years ago — but it has certainly done as much for the sports' awareness of head injuries as anything short of the original introduction of helmets.

cheers for the info

Back
Top Bottom