AFL license for 2013 and beyond...

crows2010

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Tex
Anyone got any info on whether Select have the license or another player is coming into the market...

there are rumblings on the NRL board that ESP (elite sport properties) are to be producing NRL cards going forward...

There hasnt been anything official as yet, but if true that is huge.

It's my belief that contracts held by Select and Team Zone expired at the end of 2011 - at which point new deals were struck for three years. Presumably this means the AFL will not be calling for expressions of interest until early/mid 2014.

EDIT - although I was told this during 2011, so the landscape may well have changed by now.

Based on this article by Sean Cowan in the Weekend West the card contract is up this year and currently being negotiated. My information is that Topps, Paninni and Team Zone are all currently in discussions with the AFL.

As for the NRL contract its a done deal with ESP for 5 years starting in 2012. Although nothing has been released officially by ESP or the NRL, Select have been confirming they no longer hold the contract with collectors (one of which posted on here). They are however producing NRL cards for the Daily Telegraph and Courier Mail.

Weekend West Article 110212.jpg

CONFIRMED.​
ESP are the exclusive licensee for NRL from November 2012 onwards.​
Spoke to the client services manager from ESP.​
No plans for AFL as they dont hold the license. Maybe Select do have it until 2014? Would be great if someone could just let us know.​

Read the above article. There are quotes from AFL representatives confirming its up this year and being negotiated.

Read the above article. There are quotes from AFL representatives confirming its up this year and being negotiated.

It says they review it every 2 - 4 years, which means it could either be up this year, or at the end of 2014.

I don't see any quote that CONFIRMS its up this year.

Unless I am missing something.

Whoever gets the AFL licence, I hope they step it up a bit.

I'd love to see game used relic cards, and game used autos.

Couldn't agree more. It's been a stagnant product for years, mainly (absolutely) due to the fact there's been no competition. As soon as the AFL licenses another one or two companies to enter the fray, quality and variety will vastly improve. There is immense potential in the Australian card market. Just needs some new blood.

They are doing awesome stuff with baseball cards, like a piece of a bat signed by Babe Ruth imbedded in a card. It went for $14,000 on ebay!

Imagine a Gordan Coventry or Harry Collier game used ball signature card!

The sky's the limit really. Select have refused to move forward with the times and the demand of collectors.

We have had enough threads discussing what type of cards we want to see...

This is specifically license related...interesting times ahead anyway

I can confirm 100% that the license was up at the end of the year. Can also confirm as others have mentioned above that quite a few different companies had expressed interest in the license. No confirmation at this point has been leaked as to whether Select have retained the license or another company has acquired it or even whether there will be multiple licenses next year. However i would highly doubt the AFL will give out more than one license for the trading cards. Even though they have done so in the past. What i can say is that someone made the comment on Select's facebook page last week that they had lost the license to the NRL. To which Select replied and i'm paraphrasing here. "We have not lost the license, we chose not to renew but you can still collect Select AFL. Since the license to NRL officially ends at the end of this years season one could presume they are commenting that they still have the license for AFL next year. Also i can tell you that you will see Select do something in series 2 this year that they have not bothered to do before. Perhaps in retaliation to a competitors product? Can't say anymore at this point but i'm certain that information will be leaked or revealed in the coming weeks.;)

Also i can tell you that you will see Select do something in series 2 this year that they have not bothered to do before. Perhaps in retaliation to a competitors product? Can't say anymore at this point but i'm certain that information will be leaked or revealed in the coming weeks.;)

I have been told that the AFL had issues with the quality of the product rather than it just being an issue of who is going to write the biggest cheque.

Perhaps the AFL finally cares what fans are being fed and have given Select a much deserved kick in the arse.

Then again you cant discount the impact that Draft Prospects has had on the market.

Were speculating here but you would have to presume that Select would have had to take notice of Draft Prospects. It would be crazy not to. Everyone loves that product to death. I mean how many people on here have bitched about the product after buyig and opening. Ummmmmm?

Select will be making AFL cards next year. No one has been asked to submit proposals this year.

Select will be making AFL cards next year. No one has been asked to submit proposals this year.
I assume in 2011 they would have been given more then a 12 month contract.... when the contracts are up again i guess it will be advertised on the AFL.com.au webpage like last year.

They may have kept the contract but I can tell you the AFL did review the contract this year and had discussions with Topps and Pannini.

Hopefully Select realise now they are under pressure and bring out something a little more exciting like more sigs, guernseys and game used materials...

Back
Top Bottom