Advice - 1990's Card Sets

BJ West

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Ben
eBay User
rattlesnake9
Hi all,

I am considering getting back into the hobby of collecting old sets of NBA cards (89-95).

The goal is to get the complete sets and I am not sure what the best way to go about it is, whether to find the sets in full to buy and be done with it? or to go through the actual collecting stage of buying boxes/packets. The latter will cost more, which is where all the fun is but I also don't want hundreds of double up cards worth nothing.

What would you do?

Depends what your reasons for wanting them is;

If you're just wanting the thrill and fun times of collating full sets like your childhood. Buy boxes. Theyre pretty cheap these days cos they literally produced millions of cases in the 90s, and even a rare hit is not worth much these days.

If you want to hoard and hope they go up in value, buy complete sets. But beware that era was the most overproduced ever, so chances are they'll never go up in value. Full sets are less than $20 these days.

If it were me, id buy boxes, buy folders and sleeves like the good ol' days. then Id fill in what Im missing from comc.com as I get close. But the sleeves would probably cost more than the sets are ever gonna be worth. But hey, collecting and filling gaps is the best part of this hobby;)

I would definitely grab some boxes from those years as they're all affordable.

I've busted a bunch of 90s from those years and it's a great way to start your chases.

then fill in the gaps after:)

Buying an entire set is the cheapest way but it's just not as fulfilling.

Regardless if they're singles or full sets, very few collectors are paying much for them so really you'll be doing it for the fun of it.

Id go with Dave & Adams card world in US if you buy enough to make the $30-$50 shipping worth it. The box prices will be cheaper than Aust too.

I never trust ebay boxes cos sometimes sellers bust boxes till they hit the good card, then sell the leftovers knowing the case hit is not in them...

Id go with Dave & Adams card world in US if you buy enough to make the $30-$50 shipping worth it. The box prices will be cheaper than Aust too.

I never trust ebay boxes cos sometimes sellers bust boxes till they hit the good card, then sell the leftovers knowing the case hit is not in them...

I just had a look on their website, don't currently stock early 90s boxes from what I could see but will keep an eye on their page.

Yeah most of them boxes have very little in big pulls waiting to happen so you can pick them up cheap on ebay without having to worry about dodgy dealers

Dave and Adams is my go to for old stuff, I generally buy a few boxes and go until I get the majority of the set and not a huge amount of doubles. Once you hit that point eBay or COMC to get the missing singles

I had 6 boxes of jumbo 94-95 collectors choice and I got full sets and most of a full set of silver sigs, then I got the missing silvers from eBay & COMC. They were like $20 USD per box and I probably could have stopped at 4 boxes but I was trying for a Jordan gold sig so I tried 2 more... No luck

Dave and Adams is my go to for old stuff, I generally buy a few boxes and go until I get the majority of the set and not a huge amount of doubles. Once you hit that point eBay or COMC to get the missing singles

I will keep an eye on their website as well as ebay but not looking to get started just now, am about to move house. Thanks for the advice though, it has been a big help! :)

Wow! I just got back from Retro in Morley, W.A and they wanted $120 per box for early 90s cards! I am talking basic Hoops, Fleer & Skybox. What a rip off!

Ouch.

I've always had some luck on ebay.com.au.

Over the years I've busted
93/94 UD SE and Skybox
94/95 Flair
96 UD SPx
95/96 Flair, Fleer and Fleer Ultra
96/97 Fleer Ultra
97/98 Topps Chrome

These were all awesome to bust.

Have you tried 8088EDGE on there? He usually has plenty of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom