A Case of The Hobbit : Desolation of Smaug

AusRam

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Trevor
Pretty happy with how I did, got some big name auto's, and a couple of dupes which is odd, but they're good ones and should return some funds to fill in some gaps. Handy to get a Freeman to sell or trade, and look for Aidan Turner's stuff to take off on the back of his role in the new Poldark - (a show well worth checking out btw). Nice to get an inscription, but wasn't that from Unexpected Journey ? Not a huge fan of the creator auto design, they're pretty plain, but that's them out of the way anyway. Got an extra two autos which is also a bonus. One /75 poster auto per case and they look real nice.

The sketches were also very strong, the Penix is amazing !!

Here we go -

smaug1a (Large).jpg

smaug2a (Large).jpg

And on to the sketches -

Azog by Mikey Babinski

AzogMB.jpg

Sauron by Ted Dastick Jr

Sauron.jpg

Legolas by Kris Penix

Legolas.jpg

Awesome. And so much more to collect in this release. Will you be trying to get all types of autos? Or just the regular ones?

Awesome. And so much more to collect in this release. Will you be trying to get all types of autos? Or just the regular ones?

Probably just the regulars, although the poster ones do look very good. Problem with them is there won't be a full set of the main cast with Fili not signing...

Probably just the regulars, although the poster ones do look very good. Problem with them is there won't be a full set of the main cast with Fili not signing...
Very true. Perhaps they will come out in the last release. We will have to wait and see. The sketch cards in this release are pretty incredible across the board.

Very true. Perhaps they will come out in the last release. We will have to wait and see. The sketch cards in this release are pretty incredible across the board.

Yes, looks like Crypto really upped the standard. Sure they're pretty rare, but don't think I've seen an ordinary one yet...

I am a big fan of the sketches and loved the guardians of the galaxy sketches but there are some bad sketches out there and have seen them go for as little as $8.00 which is horrible for a 1/1 sketch piece and I agree with you there @ekalb increase the quality and the rarity!! but then again art is in the eye of the beholder what one person (or many) thinks is rubbish I am sure someone thinks its brilliant and with more and more 2nd tier stars signing autographs they should really be two per box.

I love looking at peoples breaks!!!

I think it's easier in a set like this though, as you'll at least get an auto in your box. In the Marvel movie/comic stuff etc, where you aren't guaranteed an auto per box, if they were to make the sketches rarer would we see no hit boxes ?

I see one of the next comic sets isn't going to be a sketch per box deal, they're going to have a lot of cut panels as hits as well. It'll be interesting to see how that goes...

Maybe another answer is more artists on a set but doing fewer cards each so they have the time to put into the work ?? Some artists seem to do amazing work, yet others deliver cards like the Leia in my ESB illustrated break -really should be rejected by Topps I reckon...

I really don't get the cut panels cards I have a few from transformers and they don't really seem like a good card idea, why cut a panel out of a 6 buck comic. perhaps original comic page art work or why not include a digital comic redemption instead....the old memorabilia cards seem to be the guaranteed hit per box as well

I think it's easier in a set like this though, as you'll at least get an auto in your box. In the Marvel movie/comic stuff etc, where you aren't guaranteed an auto per box, if they were to make the sketches rarer would we see no hit boxes ?

I see one of the next comic sets isn't going to be a sketch per box deal, they're going to have a lot of cut panels as hits as well. It'll be interesting to see how that goes...

Maybe another answer is more artists on a set but doing fewer cards each so they have the time to put into the work ?? Some artists seem to do amazing work, yet others deliver cards like the Leia in my ESB illustrated break -really should be rejected by Topps I reckon...

This is true. We need a company to think outside the box and come up with something new and fresh - I can't see the cut panels taking off though.

thing i don't really like are parallels just the same card but with diff colour border or something lame haha. i'd be happy with more cool chase sets that make up awesome pictures like the ones from fleer x-men 94 and 96 i think it was.

Back
Top Bottom