2023 NRL Elite Official Thread

I think it's time to give the NRLW their own NRL card release.

I absolutely support the NRLW, but the harsh reality is that they devalue the overall Elite product. Everyone knows the feeling of seeing a signature card or better, then realising it's a Titans or a Warriors or a Bulldogs, and your gut just sinks with disappointment. It's the same here. It's so difficult to use them in trades as the values are very different in comparison like for like, and unless you get in early, also hard to sell them without reducing the price to a ridiculously low level.

Giving the the NRLW their own release means they can bring the cost of the Elite product down again to a more affordable level. If TLA wanted to keep the pricing where it is, they would have scope to introduce some different options in the release. For the NRLW, it would mean an opportunity to promote and have people invest in their own brand which is really what they need.

I'd consider substituting the Rivalry release for the NRLW then using Origin cards in the Elite release. I realise the timing around Origin and an Elite release doesn't necessarily align (eg its hard to have 2023 Origin in 2023 Elite), but they could include a redemption type card for the release and have the actual cards printed later, similar to what they have done with the Dolphins set in Traders this year.
I agree with everything you said... well except for the disappointment of pulling Titans card lol... but I substituted those words for Broncos cards and could sense the disappointment you were talking about :)

Seriously though that whole idea sounds great. The NRL have gone to great lengths to not only establish but to expand the NRLW and its reach, Two Origin matches (still baffled why they didn't just expand it to the three) and there are some really great players who have always been involved by younger boys & girls are starting to recognise the names off. The fact that Rivalry just came out - even just a slight delay of a couple weeks of that would put it in line with the NRLW season kicking off.

I think it's time to give the NRLW their own NRL card release.

I absolutely support the NRLW, but the harsh reality is that they devalue the overall Elite product. Everyone knows the feeling of seeing a signature card or better, then realising it's a Titans or a Warriors or a Bulldogs, and your gut just sinks with disappointment. It's the same here. It's so difficult to use them in trades as the values are very different in comparison like for like, and unless you get in early, also hard to sell them without reducing the price to a ridiculously low level.

Giving the the NRLW their own release means they can bring the cost of the Elite product down again to a more affordable level. If TLA wanted to keep the pricing where it is, they would have scope to introduce some different options in the release. For the NRLW, it would mean an opportunity to promote and have people invest in their own brand which is really what they need.

I'd consider substituting the Rivalry release for the NRLW then using Origin cards in the Elite release. I realise the timing around Origin and an Elite release doesn't necessarily align (eg its hard to have 2023 Origin in 2023 Elite), but they could include a redemption type card for the release and have the actual cards printed later, similar to what they have done with the Dolphins set in Traders this year.
Yes I agree with your thoughts, now with so many team collectors only you can pull a signature card or numbered card and the odds of it being a lesser team or NRLW player is that much greater and harder to trade or sell. Options are and I know it's not fair but how about an extra signature card for some of the better supported teams. A retired player signature series ( I believe you would have to deal direct with ex players though, but I'm sure some would like some cash for an hour of signing your name).
A stand alone NRLW set, I think would be a very hard sell with the number of boxes you would need to produce to make it viable.
Rivalry, a strange set. It should be a vehicle to get young kids into the hobby, cheap and cheerful. Maybe look at it having more than 3 players per team, use this release for a lot of rookie cards. Have them all over the newsagents, we need new blood in the hobby coming through .

Yes I agree with your thoughts, now with so many team collectors only you can pull a signature card or numbered card and the odds of it being a lesser team or NRLW player is that much greater and harder to trade or sell. Options are and I know it's not fair but how about an extra signature card for some of the better supported teams. A retired player signature series ( I believe you would have to deal direct with ex players though, but I'm sure some would like some cash for an hour of signing your name).
A stand alone NRLW set, I think would be a very hard sell with the number of boxes you would need to produce to make it viable.
Rivalry, a strange set. It should be a vehicle to get young kids into the hobby, cheap and cheerful. Maybe look at it having more than 3 players per team, use this release for a lot of rookie cards. Have them all over the newsagents, we need new blood in the hobby coming through .
It would be good to see any sort of cards in a newsagent somewhere! The wife and I travelled across the region trying to find some sort of pack of NRL cards to buy (son has just started collecting NRL cards) and couldn't buy a packet anywhere. Had to get online and order a box just so he could get some cards - - - so any plan that includes getting them in newsagents and encouraging new people into the hobby is a great way forward in any regard :)

It would be good to see any sort of cards in a newsagent somewhere! The wife and I travelled across the region trying to find some sort of pack of NRL cards to buy (son has just started collecting NRL cards) and couldn't buy a packet anywhere. Had to get online and order a box just so he could get some cards - - - so any plan that includes getting them in newsagents and encouraging new people into the hobby is a great way forward in any regard :)
Hey DadManTrading, Newsagent and online store here. As a newsagent of 30 years i can honestly tell you the Supply channel (ARE Media our magazine supplier) is really flawed. We are huge in the market and source outside of ARE but still receive an allocation. For Traders this was 2 boxes of cards. Most agents likely are not engaged in this market and thus take what they are initially supplied with and never seek more stock. Adjusting stock ahead of release with them is frustrating and more often than not ignored to substitute seemingly whatever they feel like sending.

In our store this year we made sure to have out Retail and Hobby packs. Albums & Starters (When there was stock). Made up team sets and full sets for individual sale and then we had our website handle any inserts for sale (Too difficult to do in store.) We see new young faces run in with mum & dad all the time and it is excellent to see there is still interest in the youth for the collectable market.

Hey DadManTrading, Newsagent and online store here. As a newsagent of 30 years i can honestly tell you the Supply channel (ARE Media our magazine supplier) is really flawed. We are huge in the market and source outside of ARE but still receive an allocation. For Traders this was 2 boxes of cards. Most agents likely are not engaged in this market and thus take what they are initially supplied with and never seek more stock. Adjusting stock ahead of release with them is frustrating and more often than not ignored to substitute seemingly whatever they feel like sending.

In our store this year we made sure to have out Retail and Hobby packs. Albums & Starters (When there was stock). Made up team sets and full sets for individual sale and then we had our website handle any inserts for sale (Too difficult to do in store.) We see new young faces run in with mum & dad all the time and it is excellent to see there is still interest in the youth for the collectable market.
That is absolutely awesome to hear - and I do apologise if I came across as ignorant.

I was putting it across from the point of my experience. My youngest son (about to turn 8) watches anything and everything on YouTube and stumbled across the Box Breaking which led to his initial interest in NBA Trading Cards. So went and got him some packs + found local breaking groups to buy him a team here and there and eventually getting some boxes for him (nothing major as want him to enjoy/embrace the hunt and excitement).

At school they did a Rugby League clinic and he came home obsessed with the game. We are now Titans members and been travelling to the home games (+ the game last weekend in Brisbane) and he said "How cool would it be if they did NRL cards" - I told him there was and he has been chasing ever since. Two weeks ago, after a good report card the wife and I were out and about in our local area shopping and wanted to reward him with a couple packs... no joke and no exaggeration as we kept count 14 newsagents in and around the area we went to and no one had cards.

It was frustrating but now seeing your reply a lot more understandable. Definitely bookmarking your site for future orders :)

Does your son have many titans cards.
He has the base and Pearl from the 2023 Traders. When we couldn't find any in store we ordered a box of Titanium online which helped him. Plus he has picked up a couple cards in breaks / trade shows but he has decided he wants to go as far back to the year he was born as "He's been a fan for life" (apparently) :D

Back
Top Bottom