2019 series 2 whispers

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a collector of nrl cards,i would love to see something like the Timeless cards in next years release of elite.I think they are the standout cards of this release.

Just my thoughts, but does anyone else think the High Flyers are a bit understanding for a card numbered out of only 60? I got my hands on the Poppy for my collection today and I guess I was just expecting more from a card that’s only 2 per case. Extremely small amount of foil writing and yes it looks kinda nice how the player is in colour and the rest blacked out, but thought in hand there might be a nicer finish. Kinda nice isn’t really where they could have gone with such a rare card. What do others think?

Just my thoughts, but does anyone else think the High Flyers are a bit understanding for a card numbered out of only 60? I got my hands on the Poppy for my collection today and I guess I was just expecting more from a card that’s only 2 per case. Extremely small amount of foil writing and yes it looks kinda nice how the player is in colour and the rest blacked out, but thought in hand there might be a nicer finish. Kinda nice isn’t really where they could have gone with such a rare card. What do others think?
While I haven’t seen either in hand, from looking at the pictures I think the Dominance look really good and the High Flyers somewhat underwhelming as you said - but I’ve seen a lot of praise for the High Flyers and not much for the Dominance so looks like we’re not in the majority!

I thought the exact opposite - in hand with differing texture between the high flyer and the rest of the card, I thought that created a really nice card

I really like the High Flyers finish personally. The Dominance /60 is similar to the FHOF card in thickness and finish. Not sure 18 marks is the correct choice for a /60 card though.

As a high end collector am very underwhelmed by this latest release. Is the Shaws marque card really the best we can produce??? Even if you weren’t a Geelong supported last year a dual sig of the Ablett’s is impressive, but the Shaws, really?? And choosing to ignore dual captains?? Why, you have produced dual captain sigs in the past?? I am just going to park this picture here as a tribute to the closest we have come to having Logo Patch Sigs in our hobby, which is now becoming a distant memory............#bringbackthepatch

3CB6EF77-E8DA-4EEF-B5CF-9DA82DDF7A41.jpeg
Pride of the PC

082871CA-21D3-4B9A-894C-D5652045A3E9.jpeg

We all know the prices of Dominance inserts will drop well below the first week prices but i was surprised to see a couple of big case card hits not selling. i know these guys are interstate teams but these prices tend to bring the other cards in that subset down too. the gold coast dominance case card hit of touk miller on feebay for $75 delivered, and no one has bought it in 3 days? wow

Also the gold coast high flyer is $100 and no sale, a couple of other high flyers, jeremy cameron is $125 and no sale?
paddy ryder no 07/60 sold for $102 just now and essendon fav daniher 12/60 sold for $168?

The jordan lewis case card signature number #007, limited to 50, sold for $455 in one auction, which is well down on the prices of all previous case card sigs?

unbelievable.

1562580309805.png

You part with $200 plus for a box of Dominance only one week from release. You are lucky enough to score a Dominance card case hit. And if it’s not your team you want to sell to buy more. But hit the wrong team and you still would only get half your money back by selling all cards. Sad isn’t it? I don’t know what needs to be done here.

It doesn't help when one major seller on ebay (who makes a killing by doing virtually all the pre-sales on ebay) then trashes the prices of subsets, timeless and rookies in particular to get rid of remaining stock.

You part with $200 plus for a box of Dominance only one week from release. You are lucky enough to score a Dominance card case hit. And if it’s not your team you want to sell to buy more. But hit the wrong team and you still would only get half your money back by selling all cards. Sad isn’t it? I don’t know what needs to be done here.

There really is no market for some of these lesser teams is there, there really isnt much that can be done as if you didnt put these teams in it doesn’t look great from a product point of view.

You see similar in the weekly hilite/rising star cards these teams get less than 100 orders

Then things like the Jordan Lewis card, put him in his hawks guernsey and it’s a much more desirable card

Was going to say that it seems like everyone is dumping this release at the moment....... why anyone would buy a case of this is beyond me......when you could probably pick up most of the lower/mid end inserts from your club for less than the cost of a box a few weeks after release.

If a case hit is only bringing in $500 then you are in trouble.....especially cases at RRP for $2800 even at the discounted price people are selling them its a blood bath. A Cotchin Captin Sig sold for $577 on eBay and that's probably one of the best Captains you could get!

Look at NRL 10 box cases of Elite are around $1800......that's approx $1000 less than AFL.......can anyone tell me that the extra grand outlay is worth it?

The other problem is how many of the cards end up on eBay so quickly, just looking at the Daniher I think 19 have been put up on eBay already, so nearly 10% of the stock is up for resale, of course things will lose their resale value when so much is up for sale so quickly

Happens every year. Cards are high for week, then people dump to get back money back and then long term the cards indicate their real value. The popular concepts go up and the duds continue to sink (think distinctions or draft prime). Have a look at future hall of fame from last year. They hit an all time low and now are going back up. Same as footy finest and influentials.

Now is not a good time to sell but if you hold on to the cards most go back up after the initial dump.

But tbh the hobby should be about trading and i think thats one of the reasons. People just see it as a money grab and thats why the market is flooded. Hardly anyone wants to trade or collect anynore. The amoint of people i see buy a case only to put for sale only amaxes me lol most dont even collect

One of the biggest money grabs is the albums. Early 90's needed 1 album, mid 2000's needed 2 albums. now we need 3 albums per set with 3 sets per year. Make the album big enough to take the whole set. Do we really need a parallel set or a burst set. Cut back on the subsets and the ones we keep cut back on the numbers. Rookies are fine but do we need 74 Timeless and 36 premiership predictors. The idea of the cards are ok but there are just too many of them. 18 teams, one of each per team and make each card more presentable and numbered.

One of the biggest money grabs is the albums. Early 90's needed 1 album, mid 2000's needed 2 albums. now we need 3 albums per set with 3 sets per year. Make the album big enough to take the whole set. Do we really need a parallel set or a burst set. Cut back on the subsets and the ones we keep cut back on the numbers. Rookies are fine but do we need 74 Timeless and 36 premiership predictors. The idea of the cards are ok but there are just too many of them. 18 teams, one of each per team and make each card more presentable and numbered.

Yes we need that many as people get so caught up on how many inserts they get per box, even though they end up reducing the value of each insert

I think y
Happens every year. Cards are high for week, then people dump to get back money back and then long term the cards indicate their real value. The popular concepts go up and the duds continue to sink (think distinctions or draft prime). Have a look at future hall of fame from last year. They hit an all time low and now are going back up. Same as footy finest and influentials.

Now is not a good time to sell but if you hold on to the cards most go back up after the initial dump.

But tbh the hobby should be about trading and i think thats one of the reasons. People just see it as a money grab and thats why the market is flooded. Hardly anyone wants to trade or collect anynore. The amoint of people i see buy a case only to put for sale only amaxes me lol most dont even collect
I think you can also add to this that the high end market are not getting what they want.........eg logo patch sigs etc.......so money leaves the hobby and goes elsewhere. It’s really time for a shift toward some better products like we are seeing in other sports around the world, this would attract new collectors and old collectors back to the hobby. I am getting very bored with Select, I bought one card last year, the Ablett dual, and have no plans to buy any this year. For example, why would I pay over $500 for a Walker captain sig when I paid $300 for a guernsey sig a few years ago where I got a match worn guernsey on top of a sig for $200 less. At the end of the day the Walker captain is just a sig card, he could go sign for Harv Time which would be numbered equally low out of about 50 and only cost around $130. I really think the hobby needs a product like NBA immaculate that targets the high end............just my thoughts as the hobby is currently floundering, while the overseas market is going gang busters.

Good release love the high flyers but I reakon nearly everyone I got was damaged in some way, they are a very fragile card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom