2017 AFL season discussion thread

IMG_0146.JPG

Macca from the Herald Sun at his best!

What does everyone think of the Dangerfield suspension? At first glance I thought "guilty but unlucky".

IMG_0146.JPG

Macca from the Herald Sun at his best!

What does everyone think of the Dangerfield suspension? At first glance I thought "guilty but unlucky".
Haha, that did give me a chuckle :lol:

I thought it deserved a week to be perfectly honest. Perhaps it wasn't technically a sling tackle, but I think whenever you pin a player's arms in a tackle and their head makes significant contact with the ground as a result you're going to be in strife. Fair enough in my opinion - a shame though for all those who might have spent big on a Dangerfield Brownlow Predictor!

The All Australian team has just been announced:

B: Hibberd, Rance (c), McGovern
HB: Laird, Hurley, Docherty
C: Kelly, Martin, Merrett
HF: Gray, Franklin, Zorko
F: Daniher, Kennedy (vc), Betts
R: Ryder, Dangerfield, TMitchell
I: MCrouch, Yeo, Selwood, Shiel

Pretty solid team if you ask me, Sloane probably the unluckiest but not sure who you'd take out for him.

I find the public unveiling of the All-Australian team really uncomfortable - it is simply an exercise in putting square pegs in round holes. I really dislike how evasive the selectors are regarding their selection "policy". To me, the team is never one thing nor the other, which opens itself up to manipulation and playing favourites.

As a Hawthorn supporter, between 2013-15 I cared little for how many representatives my club had in the All-Australian team. It's just so subjective I reckon!

Last edited:
The whole bench surprised me to be honest. Thought Selwood was very luck to get in, maybe reputation alone got him the nod. Howe unlucky, as was Ben Brown. Just my opinion.

I would have preferred Greene to Selwood and perhaps Howe instead of Yeo. Apart from that I am stoked that Ryder got in.

I'm certainly biased but I thought Yeo fully deserved a spot. Lead the coaches' votes halfway through the season and will probably win the Eagles B&F.

In hindsight Selwood probably lucky, given how many games he missed this season. Howe or Sloane could've taken his spot.

McGrath was always going to win. The rising star selectors have always favoured flankers who get 20-odd cheap disposals each week, over midfielders and key position players. See Pearce, Palmer, Rich, Taylor & Mills as recent examples of average players who have won the award.

I haven't felt this robbed since Rhys Palmer 'the turn over king' beat Cyril in 2008 :mad::mad::mad:
McGrath was my pick for it - thought he was very good whenever I saw the Bombers play. Burton definitely unlucky though - a pretty strong field this year!

I have to admit that young McGrath was my choice, I think us Hawks have been spoilt by Ryan Burton's flashes of brilliance (eg his goal against Adelaide) and influenced by our brown and gold bias :) Good luck to the Bombers young gun, he always seemed to do well when I saw him play.

Now, what about that nonsense with Dustin Martin last night! Dear Channel Nine....LeBron did "The Decision" a few years ago on television! I can't recall a more individualistic, self-aggrandising, "me first" approach to a contract re-signing in the AFL.

Ralph Carr has a lot to answer to, in my opinion. I hope that Dusty doesn't regret the way it has played out, however I fear that he has almost been set up to fail. Can you IMAGINE the circling vultures if Richmond are tipped out of the finals in straight sets? As the Bulldogs proved this season, even a premiership doesn't offer you the right to contend the following season. My fear for the Tigers and Dusty is a "Melbourne 1998-2007" type-run of inconsistent highs and lows.

Scotty_WCE holy mackerel, what an extraordinary finish that was! I feel sorry for the West Coast (or neutral) supporters who had the misfortune to listen to the 5AA broadcast, as the description of the match-winning goal was extremely unprofessional. In fact, it did nothing to remove the "backwater Hicksville" stigma that many South Australians actually complain about.

Listen from approx 3:07
https://soundcloud.com/fiveaa/port-v-eagles-highlights-9917

Right decision or not, I hate the arms getting raised in a tackle to force the high contact. It's in the same category as ducking in my book. I think the rules need to state if the player being tackled performs an action that causes the original fair tackle to slide hit then it's play on, and that could even be prior opportunity and holding the ball if it's not disposed of correctly. It's just such a horrible look. Just my opinion.

Right decision or not, I hate the arms getting raised in a tackle to force the high contact. It's in the same category as ducking in my book. I think the rules need to state if the player being tackled performs an action that causes the original fair tackle to slide hit then it's play on, and that could even be prior opportunity and holding the ball if it's not disposed of correctly. It's just such a horrible look. Just my opinion.

it already does

First team is through to that one day in September, well done Crows. Now who joins them, Tigers or Giants? Either way it's great for the game that 2 clubs who haven't played in a grand final for a bloody long time, or never in Giants case, will get their chance. If Tigers make it, neither team will have a player who has previously played in a grand final, it's been something like 100 plus years since that last happened, crazy!

Back
Top Bottom