2017 AFL season discussion thread

I've gone early with next week's
IMG_1415.PNG

as it seems eerily fitting (no offence @Scotty_WCE!!)

In rounds 2,3 and 4 in 1994, Hawthorn lost by a combined total of 268 points! The run started with a loss to Melbourne (54 points), then came a Carey-inspired Friday night massacre at the hands of North Melbourne (127 points), and culminated in an 87 point defeat to Carlton.

In round 5, however, the Hawks travelled across to Subiaco Oval to take on the rampant West Coast Eagles (who had won their previous three games by 19, 96 and 76 points)....and promptly beat THEM by 71 points!! The Hawks and the Eagles meet next week at the MCG.
The only good thing about this stat is that 1994 ended up being an OK year for us :p

Despite Hawthorn's recent form I'm not getting my hopes up - as I'm sure you're aware we haven't beaten the Hawks in Melbourne for a looooooong time. In fact, it's only happened once in my lifetime! So I'd take a loss as long as it's under 71 points :oops:

Definetly hoping yesterdays win doesn't spark a Hawks resurgence :thumbsdown:

We could definetly do with a nice high pick from the Hawks

This week's
IMG_1415.PNG

takes us back to the 2011 clash between Essendon and then-newcomers Gold Coast, fresh from their inaugural win over Port Adelaide the week before. In this Round Six clash at Etihad, Essendon exploded out of the blocks with a record-breaking first quarter which netted them 15.4 (94)!! It broke the previous highest quarter time score, held jointly by Hawthorn (vs North Melbourne in 1982) and North Melbourne (vs Richmond in 1990). Essendon's quarter time lead.....93 points!!

This week's
IMG_1415.PNG

takes us back to the 2011 clash between Essendon and then-newcomers Gold Coast, fresh from their inaugural win over Port Adelaide the week before. In this Round Six clash at Etihad, Essendon exploded out of the blocks with a record-breaking first quarter which netted them 15.4 (94)!! It broke the previous highest quarter time score, held jointly by Hawthorn (vs North Melbourne in 1982) and North Melbourne (vs Richmond in 1990). Essendon's quarter time lead.....93 points!!
And then, remarkably, the Suns out-scored the Bombers in the second quarter five goals to three! We probably won't see another 15 goal quarter for a very long time though.

An extraordinary Round 7
IMG_1415.PNG
dating back to an unforgettable weekend for this young footy fan in 1992 - 25 years ago!

On the Saturday, Jason Dunstall famously kicked 17.5 against Richmond at Waverley, outscoring the Tigers by 14 points HIMSELF.

On the Sunday, Geelong traveled to Carrara and kicked a remarkable 37.17 (239) against the Brisbane Bears. The score remains the highest in AFL/VFL history. The Cats kicked 7 goals, 9 goals and 7 goals in the first three quarters, before adding 14 in the last against the hapless Bears. As Blighty excitedly said: "We broke the world record!" :)

An extraordinary Round 7
IMG_1415.PNG
dating back to an unforgettable weekend for this young footy fan in 1992 - 25 years ago!

On the Saturday, Jason Dunstall famously kicked 17.5 against Richmond at Waverley, outscoring the Tigers by 14 points HIMSELF.

On the Sunday, Geelong traveled to Carrara and kicked a remarkable 37.17 (239) against the Brisbane Bears. The score remains the highest in AFL/VFL history. The Cats kicked 7 goals, 9 goals and 7 goals in the first three quarters, before adding 14 in the last against the hapless Bears. As Blighty excitedly said: "We broke the world record!" :)
I do wish I was around to watch some footy in the '90s. Some of the shootouts and big individual hauls would've made for brilliant viewing.

https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/roo-ditts/content/roo-ditts-tex-pranks-ditts

Tex, Tex, Tex...... :)

I suppose Damian Barrett or Robbo will find a problem with THAT now, given their absurd analysis and criticism of every single action and comment that happens in football these days. I can honestly say that I cannot recall a season of football so dragged down by carping negativity and spite than the current 2017 season already has been.

The problem of course is that the footy devotee needs their fix from somewhere - TV, radio, newspapers or online. However, who the hell can you trust - or even bother to listen to - these days? I find it extraordinary that the opinions of those who have never coached (Garry Lyon, David King) are held in such high esteem when they discuss and critique coaching. Then we have what Michael Atherton once aptly labeled "the gutter press": Damie Barrett, Mark Robinson, Caroline Wilson and the like.

It's one of the reasons that I still love The Footy Show!

Last edited:
Bob Davis and Jack Dyer are today reunited with their little mate Lewis Thomas Charles Richards - better known to football fans Australia-wide as Lou "The Lip" Richards.

IMG_1436.JPG

Lou played 250 games, kicked 423 goals, captained Collingwood's 1953 premiership team, was club leading goalkicker in three seasons.....and then became a media mega-star both with his co-stars on League Teams and in his own right as a commentator, panelist and columnist. Lou's "Kiss of Death" - and his self-inflicted dares - were a staple of football in the 1980's.

Those of my generation will remember Lou's appearances on the Sunday Footy Show, first as a panelist and then opening the handball segment with "a gag".

Rest In Peace Lou.

This week's
IMG_1415.PNG

is timely, as it involves teams that actually met last week - Adelaide and North Melbourne. The Crows' biggest comeback from a three quarter time deficit occured in 1993, where they overturned North Melbourne's final change lead of 26 points and won a thriller by two points.

In this match, Crows full forward Tony Modra kicked 10.1 and performed perhaps his most famous feat.....this extraordinary mark, which I remember watching live on television.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o6c8iAckQrM

@Keatoboy....there! There's your bloody Crows!! :)

This week's
IMG_1415.PNG

is timely, as it involves teams that actually met last week - Adelaide and North Melbourne. The Crows' biggest comeback from a three quarter time deficit occured in 1993, where they overturned North Melbourne's final change lead of 26 points and won a thriller by two points.

In this match, Crows full forward Tony Modra kicked 10.1 and performed perhaps his most famous feat.....this extraordinary mark, which I remember watching live on television.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o6c8iAckQrM

@Keatoboy....there! There's your bloody Crows!! :)
Tony Godra!!!

Eleni Glouftsis will become the first female to umpire an AFL/VFL match this weekend in the Essendon vs West Coast game. Pretty awesome achievement, if you ask me - hopefully she goes well and is treated with the respect she deserves. (I'll still be yelling at the TV if she pays a free kick against us though :p)

Good on her, fantastic news! If you can umpire, you can umpire. There will be the predictable "is nothing sacred?'" complaints from (ahem) traditionalists, but Chelsea Roffey has been an outstanding, confident goal umpire for many years so there seems no logical reason why a female field umpire shouldn't be the next step.

She surely couldn't be any worse than the muppets already umpiring with their over inflated egos. So good luck to her. She umpired in the NAB Challenge right? She did pretty well from memory.

She surely couldn't be any worse than the muppets already umpiring with their over inflated egos. So good luck to her. She umpired in the NAB Challenge right? She did pretty well from memory.
Yeah, she did a preseason game this year. Apparently she's done well umpiring in the SANFL too.

Unfortunately @BLOWN8 (and others) this week's
IMG_1415.PNG

makes for gruesome reading for us Hawkers! Hawthorn's lowest ever score and biggest ever loss came in round 9, 1926. A mere season and a half into their then-VFL existence, Hawthorn's 1.7 (13) was no match for Melbourne's final score of 21.28 (154)!!

Jeepers!

Unfortunately @BLOWN8 (and others) this week's
IMG_1415.PNG

makes for gruesome reading for us Hawkers! Hawthorn's lowest ever score and biggest ever loss came in round 9, 1926. A mere season and a half into their then-VFL existence, Hawthorn's 1.7 (13) was no match for Melbourne's final score of 21.28 (154)!!

Jeepers!

Hawthorn was a bit of a laughing stock for a long time after joining in 1925. This score doesn't surprise me lol.

Geez... a tough few weeks for Tigers supporters!
An extraordinary finish mate. I don't believe in karma or fate or destiny in sport but geez, Richmond supporters must wonder what the hell they did to deserve this torture, year after year. On the flip side, these wins could be crucial for the young GWS team....who in the footy vernacular are "just going" at the moment.

Sydney are slowly working their way back into contention and I expect them to account for my boys next week to cap an unbeaten month.

It has been a tremendous season so far!

An extraordinary finish mate. I don't believe in karma or fate or destiny in sport but geez, Richmond supporters must wonder what the hell they did to deserve this torture, year after year. On the flip side, these wins could be crucial for the young GWS team....who in the footy vernacular are "just going" at the moment.

Sydney are slowly working their way back into contention and I expect them to account for my boys next week to cap an unbeaten month.

It has been a tremendous season so far!
Yeah, these close wins to the Giants are so important for them, especially with their injury list at the moment. Would've liked for them to drop a couple for the sake of the Eagles but we've got the chance to knock them off next week over here if we're good enough. That's also the first game that I'm going to this season so really looking forward to it!

Been a really enjoyable season so far. So many upsets and so many close finishes too which have made for great viewing!

Back
Top Bottom