2017/18 TNP FFA A-LEAGUE

....In a perfect scenario they would cease to be in Football cards and a real manufacturer like Topps would take over, even Futera/ESP would have a better go at it.

Understand your points Raj, but realistically why would any of the big card players get into the Australian football card market?

Nobody believes the FFA's own press about how popular the a-league is. Just have to look at actual membership numbers of other codes...AFL 900,000+, NRL 300,000+
A-league membership was 117,415 in 2016/17 - the highest ever the FFA trumpet!! That number is dominated by 2 clubs - Victory 26,000+ & WSW 20,000.

IMO...There simply isn't the market in Australia to make profit for those big players. In many ways I am surprised that TnP are even going ahead with another release for 2017/18.

You'd hope that if TnP are going to go again it is a quality realease, not just more of the same. But that is probably wishing for a bit too much. Of course the counter argument is that there should be no release if it's going to be a sub-standard release.

Time will tell & the market will judge it accordingly.

PS....congrats on your award from @Matt26 as the most negative person on the OZCT forum (as per post in the upcoming TnP Ashes cricket release thread). I thought I was giving that award a fair shake with some of TnP's earlier releases. ;)

Understand your points Raj, but realistically why would any of the big card players get into the Australian football card market?

Nobody believes the FFA's own press about how popular the a-league is. Just have to look at actual membership numbers of other codes...AFL 900,000+, NRL 300,000+
A-league membership was 117,415 in 2016/17 - the highest ever the FFA trumpet!! That number is dominated by 2 clubs - Victory 26,000+ & WSW 20,000.

IMO...There simply isn't the market in Australia to make profit for those big players. In many ways I am surprised that TnP are even going ahead with another release for 2017/18.

You'd hope that if TnP are going to go again it is a quality realease, not just more of the same. But that is probably wishing for a bit too much. Of course the counter argument is that there should be no release if it's going to be a sub-standard release.

Time will tell & the market will judge it accordingly.

PS....congrats on your award from @Matt26 as the most negative person on the OZCT forum (as per post in the upcoming TnP Ashes cricket release thread). I thought I was giving that award a fair shake with some of TnP's earlier releases. ;)

Some valid points here...... the market simply isn't big enough for A League to sustain a full blown release like what you see overseas.......that why people like Select/TLA dont bother with the licence....its not making money.

I am surprised that TNP are putting another mass market release out. Look some of the cards they have put out weren't bad....Archie GF Jersey Auto, Slater Socceroos Jersey auto, Cahill auto, Mooy auto, Leckie auto, Ryan patch auto......but these cost money and they are a business....if its not making money, they you either keep making a loss or you give up the licence? Not much more to it im afraid....

Cheers
Matt

Hi, I can't believe there's no release until early next year. It's very disappointing.

The FFA should do something about it. I'm tired of being treated like a mug.

I want my A-League soccer cards and I want them now!

Hi, I can't believe there's no release until early next year. It's very disappointing.

The FFA should do something about it. I'm tired of being treated like a mug.

I want my A-League soccer cards and I want them now!

Now, now...come on @Coopdogs we all know TnP is a one man band & marches to the sound of its own drum.
IMG_1007.JPG

No doubt he's still trying to get the Ashes cricket cards organised for the planned release on 22 November. Then there is the Big Bash release due pretty much straight after on 25 November & the details of that are fairly scant at this point.

As for the FFA - they are still at war with the a-league clubs & had have to delay an emergency general meeting until 3 days before the FIFA imposed deadline of the end of this month. Plus with the Socceroos World Cup hopes hanging by a thread, me thinks the release of football cards is the last thing on their mind at the moment.

Bloody frustrating....yep! But we can only hope the delay is worth it!

As for being treated like a mug...this one appeals to me...
IMG_1008.JPG

Last edited:
Mike, thanks for the update.

I suppose a delay is better than no cards at all.

But, it is frustrating. In between A-League seasons I started to collect Ninjago lego for my 6-year old son. Not only has it cost me a small fortune but I'm running out of space to store the lego and now my wife is angry.

Coop

This morning Tap N Play released some pictures of the 2017/18 Set.. To be honest, it’s better then last year but I’ve spotted a mistake already. Robbie Kruse is not a defender.

9FEFDCEA-AE8A-44E5-BA2E-241F6C001F42.jpeg

Hi Guys,

Any news regarding a 2017/18 release? Also, can anyone beat the Sky Blues this season? I hope not! Plus, it's great to see Josep Gombau back coaching in the A-League.

Lastly, I think Kenny Lowe's tenure at Perth Glory must be nearing its end. He's had so many chances and has failed to deliver.

Cheers

Coopdog

Back
Top Bottom