2015 Reflections and 2016 Hopes

Scotty_WCE

West Coast card collector!
Real Name
Scott
eBay User
scotty_wce
It's a new year and so it's time to look back on the year just finished and look forward to 2016.

1. What was your biggest highlight of 2015?

2. What was your biggest disappointment of 2015?

3. What do you expect in the 2016 releases?

4. What do you hope for in the 2016 releases?

5. What are your goals for 2016?

Let's try and get a bit of discussion going during this long off-season! :thumbsup:

For me:

Definitely pulling the card in my avatar, a Chris Judd Brownlow Signature, from a single loose pack! This is my biggest hit of all-time.

Probably the underwhelming 2015 Champions series. For the third consecutive year it's been the same uninspiring Champions release, and I'm really hoping for a much-improved 2016 release.

• A slightly better Champions release
  • A typically solid Teamcoach release
  • A lot of intrigue and discussion leading up to the release of Series 2
  • A similar Future Force release.

• Some much better high-end inserts and better designs in Champions.
  • A 1:72 insert in Teamcoach.
  • Something completely new and innovative in Series 2.
  • Select to redeem themselves after the Draft Pick Redemption debacle.

To obtain almost all the lower-end cards which are still on my wantlist, so I can start adding some more higher-end cards to my collection.

GREAT IDEA @Scotty_WCE

For me, the improved digital app was a hands-down winner. I thought that the foil signature redemption set was an outstanding idea and I enjoyed the whole buy/sell aspect of the app, as well as the ability to save pictures of the cards within the app and then email or "message" them to friends. The Fantasy Team ensured that I kept closer attention to games that I otherwise wouldn't have.

Honours 2 contained a great variety of signature cards and having all teams represented was a terrific idea. The design of the Premiership Redemption set looks fantastic - in my opinion the best of the last three Select have produced.

I know that this is a bit like flogging a dead horse but I do think that Champions would benefit from maybe two or three signature cards, or even a "Gamebreaker" jersey card like Pavlich, Brown and Tarrant from 2004 Ovation. I'm not convinced that kids won't love or appreciate signatures - these days unless you attend training it is bloody hard to acquire them otherwise.

Unfortunately I expect the Champions release to be a "wash, rinse, repeat".

Series 2 - Honours 3? - will potentially see a new theme as I think two Brownlow Medal-related releases is probably enough.

I think we will see another mid-year high end release, like an album or boxed set or dual signature card.

Really good question - I am hoping for a Nathan Fyfe Brownlow signature card and of course a Cyril Rioli Norm Smith Medal signature card. I do like the old pre-Honours format of signatures for MVP, Brownlow Medal, Coleman Medal and Norm Smith Medal winners, although of course much depends on the agreed upon signing fee for each player.

I'd like to see (as mentioned previously) a bit more "oomph" in the Champions release, even if it is via a different type of insert eg. Premiership coaches or a "characters of football" insert.

Honours 3 will hopefully be a new theme - Coleman or Norm Smith medallists or even Premiership coaches - in regards to signature cards. Maybe even a selection of club Best and Fairest signatures or something similarly out of the norm.

My number one goal is to save money in the first half of the year, hopefully with a really good Honours 3 to collect. I might do some 2004-2009 box busting just for fun every now and then :)

I did win a set of the captain foil sigs from the app after collection the whole set within the app. Maybe seeing Sam Mitchell used as one of the signatures for the premiership redemptions was nice. Have the low number which I will redeem once I get my hands on the higher number.
These 2 pick ups were probably my best AFL additions all year http://www.ozcardtrader.com.au/community/threads/couple-of-pc-additions.190188/

I know Honours 2 was a Brownlow based release but to not have a Hawks medal winner signature redemption for another year was very disappointing. Thought Hodge Norm Smith celebrating both his Normies would have been a fantastic addition to my collection but not to be. I know there is a Buddy Coleman a few years back but to be honest that has lost all appeal given he left the Hawks and also his poor attempt at signing the cards, both rushed and on the wrong angle. Might sound fussy but I am a fussy collector. Fingers are crossed for a Rioli Norm Smith sig in 2016. Geelong got 2 Ablett's and a Bartel during their golden run.

Id expect Champions to be same old same old, which doesn't really bother me as it means I can save money for hopefully a decent series 2 or cards from my wantlist (both AFL and Cricket).
I expect Future Force to not change either.
I expect a lot of talk leading up to the release of series 2 like usual with Select giving little to no incite, and no interaction with collector. All talk from collectors will be hope and pray stuff with a lot of disappointed people when the flyer is released.

As mentioned above, any Hawks signature redemption is a must, surely Rioli will get one. Id hope for a few new things, just putting it out there that captain/coach sigs, brother sigs, father/son sigs, or any other dual signatures would be great. I keep saying bring back the Guernsey/patch cards, truly cant believe Select haven't redone these yet, not sure if Select are lazy or have a disrespect for advancing the hobby as they never really give any interaction to collectors.

Keep chipping away at my wantlist. I'd love to pick up a Dunstall tribute sig from 1999 or Crawford Brownlow sig from 2000, either would be a great addition to my collection. I am spending money in other areas of my life other than cards over the past few years as the Honours hasn't really got me excited. Lets see what happens in 2016.

Last edited:
Call me controversial or ignorant, but with the passion of AFL card collecting taking a hit this year with average releases. I'm going to answer these questions not specific to AFL releases but more so to all local releases.

Biggest highlight has been the very recent A-League Tap N Play release, fantastic sophomore release. Great job with the signature redemptions, patch auto and the Gold and Silver tickets. I was very fortunate to have pulled an Archie Thompson Signature Patch Redemption.

For every positive there is a negative, when it came to Select releases. I've been a huge supporter over the years, but it was like they shot themselves in the foot a few times this year and took away from some positives/highlights

Champions - Great App, Captain Signatures set was offset by same old same old. Champions needs a blend of the 06, 07 & 08 Champions releases.

Honours 2 - Additional inserts most notably Distinctions and Honour Roll offset by (call me a traditionalist) but Draft Signatures replaced with certified signatures and I personally think they great idea of Honour Roll was let down by a very ordinary card in hand.

Future Force - New inserts (including redemptions) at the same price offset by Green Signatures (resale on these are horrible) and the mix up regarding the redemption card

Popularity of A-League cards to increase even further

Champions - The end of the milestone cards and inclusion of a 1 or 2 in every case redemption

Honours 3 - Coleman medallists will be the theme, and will give certified signatures one more year

Future Force - Much the same, though with price increase and redemptions being actual signature cards with Top 10 picks holding their AFL jumpers (much like NBA rookie cards)

An NBL release, how good would it be to have signature cards like

Melbourne - Goulding
Sydney - Childress
Illawarra - AJ Ogilvy
Breakers - Corey Webster
Adelaide - Adam Gibson
Cairns - Giddon
Townsville - Steindl
Perth - Jawai

Then similar to Tap N Play releases an Opals and Boomers player signature

Champions - Return of draft rookies, Premiership predictor in series 1

Teamcoach - A high end insert 1 in 144 packs

Honours 3 - Michael Roach Coleman Medallist Signature Card, Corey Ellis or Daniel Rioli signature card. Redemptions which don't lose their value (was so easy to obtain Brownlow Signatures for less than $200)

Future Force - Gold Signatures !!!

In two minds...A-League redemption set ?? Otherwise save some money

It's a new year and so it's time to look back on the year just finished and look forward to 2016.

Would have to say the Honor Roll cards from 2015 Series 2! The High-end nature of these cards was top stuff!!!
As a GWS supporter, series 2 being a Brownlow themed set, put restrictions on me willing to go out of my way to commit to collecting a set like this. The Brownlow honours series would have been greatly disappointing had Gary not got a BM for Gold Coast being my personal 2nd favorite team.
Quite truthfully, I would love to see the Brownlow segment continued yet again making series 2 known as Honours 3. Might create an imaginary sell-sheet of this hypothetical series later.
I'd love to see: SCS signatures in the Champions series - but ratio of 1:108 packs (3 boxes); still individually numbered to 400 and 18; 1 per team as opposed to 25. Should the Brownlow segment now be ceased, I am begging series 2 this coming season be a series accountable for ALL 18 TEAMS - YES INCLUDING GOLD COAST AND GWS!!!! There needs to be high-end half-slabl or whole-slab search inserts apart from signature cards and usual premiership redemtion! Future Force 2016 - love to see high-end parallel signature cards signed in a new colour different from gold or green! Perhaps Blue ink a good idea???!!!
To Finish off collecting inserts from previous years drawing back to 2013 if 2016 series turns out to not what I'd personally wished for.
Let's try and get a bit of discussion going during this long off-season!

Short and sharp review from me.

In a year where I completed my gold coast and gws collections 100% it has definately had its ups and downs. It also opened up new opportunities to start side collections such as my recruits collection and O'Meara collection.

Other than finishing my collection I also managed to bring in ablett brownlow SIG and Geelong honour roll. The rise of eureka was also a highlight, great to see people who really care about the hobby and share my passion with other collectors.

Select in one word. Champions were horrible, redemptions a debacle and IMO future force very boring with cards to easy to acquire (I like a challenge). They had some highlights like captains set and honour roll.

Champs and future force the same
Series two to once again ignore our suggestoons
Teamcoach steady as always. I expect prize cards to go back to the old method and would be surprised of they are in folders again.

Champs - something collectable. SIG's, guernsey redemptions, hell anything
Future force - better design an something new. Not foiled SIG's
Series two - rising star sign for each round.

Continur to update gws and GC as cards are released. Acquire 50 omeara signatures. Finish ablett junior collection and bring in MVP sig

SELECT 2016 Footy Star Goal Kickers: COLEMAN TRIBUTE

Common cards (220)
Goal Kickers Gallery (120); 1 per pack
Coleman Gallery (63); 1:6 packs
SCS Signatures (25); 1:36 packs
Coleman Distinction (63); 1:36 packs
Club Leaders (all-time-to-date leading club goal kicker) - Green Borders; (18); 1:144 packs; 150 per design
Upper-end Signatures (6); 1:288 packs
Club Leaders (all-time-to-date leading club goal kicker) - Black Borders; (18); 1:432 packs; 50 per design
Club (Coleman) Honour Rolls (12); 1:864 packs; 35 per design
John Coleman Tribute mini-set Redemption (1); 1:1728 packs; 200 per design

SELECT 2016 FUTURE FORCE

Exact same as 2015 with following exceptions:
* Red signatures signed in Red ink (for very first time!)
* Parallel signatures (40 per design) singed in Blue ink hence Blue foil (as opposed to green or gold)
* Draft Pick Resumptions be all signature cards signed in Black ink

Yes I would certainly go out of my collect all series for 2016 this year if all sets were quite like listed above however most/many people would probably disagree or hope I'm not accurate so to speak.

Last edited:
CLUB LEADERS CHECKLIST AS FOLLOWED:

CLG1/CLB1 Tony Modra (ADL)
CLG2/CLB2 Bernie Quinlan/Jonathon Brown (BNE)
CLG3/CLB3 Stephen Kernahan (CTN)
CLG4/CLB4 Gordon Coventry (CWD)
CLG5/CLB5 Matthew Lloyd (ESS)
CLG6/CLB6 Matthew Pavilich (FRE)

CLG7/CLB7 Gary Ablett Snr. (GEE)
CLG8/CLB8 Tom Lynch (GCS)
CLG9/CLB9 Jeremy Cameron (GWS)
CLG10/CLB10 Jason Dunstall (HAW)
CLG11/CLB11 Fred Fanning (MEL)
CLG12/CLB12 Wayne Carey (NME)
CLG13/CLB13 Warren Tredrea (PWR)
CLG14/CLB14 Jack Titus (RMD)
CLG15/CLB15 Tony Lockett (STK)
CLG16/CLB16 Bob Pratt (SYD)
CLG17/CLB17 Josh Kennedy (WCE)
CLG18/CLB18 Jack Collins (WBD)

Not all these players have necessary won a Coleman Medal in the above list however as a GWS supporter (followed by suns as personal 2nd favourite team), a high-end foil set like this (comparable to the LL gold and black card ends from NRL 2012 Dynasty) would make be happy in terms of meeting requirements for all 18 teams as I mentioned earlier should series 2 be a Coleman theme this year. (Once again aplogies to GWS, Port and Freo supporters and also Suns in terms of honour rolls but hopefully CL Greens and CL Blacks to do the trick!)

ps. Can never say never about a Norm Smith themed series but prey that to be held back in future seasons to come if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

AFL wise it was pulling the number 002 brownlow distinction of Malcolm Blight - my first ever 002 Select card! Overall however, was definitely the Yoda sketch I picked up in a group break. Another highlight for me was the rise of the group breaks, these are super exciting and even when you aren't the one getting the big hits they are still really fun to be involved in and to watch.

Deciding to buy a case of NRL instead of AFL series 2 - my biggest regret.

Honestly - more of the same, I dont expect select to produce anything out of the ordinary or change their current setup much at all

I would love a high end super limited set with things like dual signatures, patch signatures etc.. I think these would be great in the group break scenes too.

To clear-out and condense my collection to something manageable and really define exactly what I want to collect - atm it's a bit all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom