2010 FIBA World Championships Official Thread *SPOILERS*

lukesicari

formerly DW8
Real Name
Luke
Seeing that the FIBA World Championships are not to far away, why not make a thread for it? Anyway just checked fiba.com and checked the groups. Here are the groups:

Group A-Angola, Argentina, Australia, Germany, Jordan, Serbia.
Group B-Brazil, Croatia, Iran, Tunisia, Slovenia, USA.
Group C-China, Cote d`Ivoire, Greece, Russia, Puerto Rico, Turkey.
Group D-Canada, France, Lebanon, Lithuania, New Zealand, Spain.

The Champoinships start 28th AUG, and finish 12 SEP.

Who do you think will win the Championships?
Do Australia have a decent shot?
Will the USA go all the way, or will Argentina prove that they should stay NO.1?

Re: 2010 FIBA World Championships Official Thread

Well USA aren't bringing anywhere near their best team that's for sure...... so many players aren't going so we'll see how good they are.....

I think USA will go okay. Offense normally isn't a problem. Kevin Durant will be leading the pack.

If anything it's defense that often isn't up to scratch against the crafty sharp-shooting Europeans. Team USA is stacked on the wings defensively though, they should be okay.

I don't now the format? Is it Pool Games, with the top teams advancing?

If that's the case Australia could have a shot. Argentina is the best in our pool obviously, but after them there isn't that much talent. Serbia will be hard to knock off, but the rest of the teams Australia should beat if playing well.

That said - I haven't seen the team we are fielding.

If it's the same one that faced the depleted Argentina a little while back - which I think it is because they kept going on about it being the try out for worlds - then we should be OK. Bruton probably comes in and plays the point with Patty though, so some nice experience at that crucial position.

Looks like Foxtel have it because I see in the guide there's a few games scheduled on there at the end of the month. What about ONE though, surely they'd be getting in on it with how much they've gotten behind basketball?

If it's the same one that faced the depleted Argentina a little while back - which I think it is because they kept going on about it being the try out for worlds - then we should be OK. Bruton probably comes in and plays the point with Patty though, so some nice experience at that crucial position.

Looks like Foxtel have it because I see in the guide there's a few games scheduled on there at the end of the month. What about ONE though, surely they'd be getting in on it with how much they've gotten behind basketball?

Bruton has retired from international basketball. Paddy Mills will take over the starters role. We have an ok team, we lack a lot of height and big bodies in the lane, but if our shooters showup to play, and we get decent service out of what big men we do have avaliable we should coast to the 2nd round but after that we'd be in a bit of trouble unless everyone in the side plays to their ab****e full potential and we get a decent draw!! We are a shadow of what was a decent team in Bejing.....

USA will be fkn awesome, the young talent in this team with a couple vets is gonna be sick! Billups,Curry,Rose, Durant, Wallace etc.. crazy! Brook Lopez in the middle.. :)

AUS will surprise, Mills and Anderson can score in a hurry.. and rest of the team can shoot the lights out, gonna miss a post presence like Bogut though.

They play China in a warmup today or now.. no Yao for China, Yi and Yue are playing though.

Tyreke Evans, O.J. Mayo, Gerald Wallace, JaVale McGee cut by Team USA - ESPN

Geez..... the US squad looks pretty thin up-front; no real proven stars really.

Interesting. I can see why Evans and Mayo were cut, plenty of good guards and scorers on the team already.

Wallace I thought may be kept for his athleticism and rebounding though. McGee must not have shown enough, definitely not enough experience.

That leaves 15 on Team USA's roster, they have to submit a 12 man roster in 2 days.

With not much size up front I'd assume they keep their 5 PF's and C's (Tyson Chandler, Brook Lopez, Lamar Odom, Jeff Green & Kevin Love).

The 4 wingmen I wouldn't be surprised to see kept as well (Kevin Durant, Andre Iguodala, Danny Granger & Rudy Gay).

I think it'll have to be 2 guards who are cut. I'm thinking Rondo and Eric Gordon maybe? Gordon isn't versatile, can only play 1 position. And Rondo well, he's great, but he can't shoot and you need to do that in international play. They already have Derrick Rose who isn't a great shooter, I can't see them doubling up with Rondo too.. But then again, they don't have many pure shooter, maybe Gordon is kept and Westbrook goes?

If I could choose I'd take this 12 man squad:

PG - Chauncey Billups/Derrick Rose/Stephen Curry
SG - Andre Iguodala/Eric Gordon
SF - Kevin Durant/Rudy Gay/Danny Granger
PF - Lamar Odom/Jeff Green/Kevin Love
C - Brook Lopez/Tyson Chandler

Looks okay. Eric Gordon or Russell Westbrook? And then maybe one of the PF/SF would get cut, because Green and Odom can play SF as well.

Regardless of who gets picked, there is a lot of versatility at positions from SG-SF-PF.

Can't wait to see KD and Rose play on an international level, they may have played, but I missed it!

I dont think they need Westbrook though, they need all the shooters they can get.. Gordon is the better choice.

I dont think they need Westbrook though, they need all the shooters they can get.. Gordon is the better choice.

My exact thoughts. Westbrook can only play PG and there are only so many minutes to go around. With Billups and Rose getting the bulk of minutes (most likely) at point guard, what's Westbrook going to do?

He's lightning quick and plays good defense, but you need defense stretchers. Surely Gordon is the better fit. Lots of international teams play GREAT zone defenses, stick that on and Westbrook won't do jack.

Man dont sell him short dude.. he can ball for real!

He can play.... I just think he's overrated. Little bit inconsistent & played for a crappy team...... he can have his good games, but he certainly doesn't bring it every night.

I have $60 on Spain to win @ $6.50 (even without Pau)

Not sure how the young players for the USA will play against the traditional zone when the center can camp under the basket.

According to a betting site, Serbia are the favorites to win our pool.

If USA & Spain win the pools they are in, then the Aussies will be on the Spain side if we finish 1st or 2nd. We will be on the USA side if we finish 3rd or 4th.

My I really hope Joe Ingles can shine in he championships, if he`s 3-point shooting is on fire well he is almost unstopable from downtown.

Aus undefeated so far in the Stankovic Cup.. looks like we are playing well.

Back
Top Bottom