2008 NRL Centenary " What do people think "

Gameday Online

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Peter Thompson
eBay User
supa5
Hi Everyone,

Just interested in what people think of the 2008 NRL Centenary set. Has been out for about a week know and wondered if collectors had any opinions.

The common set looks good , and the immortal sketch cards look great. Not sure about the rest.

Thanks in Advance

Peter Thompson :D

Mate, I reckon they look awesome. Common set is the best I've seen. I love all the inserts except the club logos, I think they are a bit lame for a Centenary release. Past heroes set brings back some good memories though..

The Base set is fantastic, easily one of the best designs that have ever used and is highly collectable.

The rest is crap imo.

Club Logo Holofoils (4 Per Box) a parallel set to the club logos from the base set (which look excellent in the base set) the problem with these is that they are exactly the same holofoil type as the champions series this year, i mean come on, if you are going to do 2 holofoil series in the same year dont use the same backing from the "cheap" series.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll261/stormernumber1/AFL/2008NRLCentenary_0003.jpg

Past Heroes (4 per box) Same holofoil stuff as above, this is an ok subset, but again they could of used a new backing for the Centenary series.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll261/stormernumber1/AFL/2008NRLCentenary_0002.jpg

Team of the Century (2-3 per box) all of the inserts look so similar, some great players in this 18 card set, but it looks too similar to all of the other inserts, nothing really separates this subset from the rest of the series making it an average insert.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll261/stormernumber1/AFL/2008NRLCentenary_0001.jpg

The foil sigs (1 per box) are not very high quality, very similar to the blue foil sigs from this years AFL Champions, the sigs are not smooth, they have what looks like a bad quality computer print. These are currently selling around $20 and I dont think they will improve on that price as they are not really limited, being numbered to 600 each.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll261/stormernumber1/AFL/2008NRLCentenary_0005.jpg

The Immortals (1 per box) look ok but nothing spectacular and they arent numbered, probably because they would be numbered to like 1400+ each, again these are selling for $20 on ebay and I believe that their value will actually decline due to the fact that there are only 7 different cards and more than 1400 of each card.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll261/stormernumber1/AFL/2008NRLCentenary_0006.jpg

Sketch Cards (1 per 2 boxes) nice looking cards, numbered to 750!! Again huge numbered, lowering the limited value of the sketches, they are selling for around $50 atm, and they will probably stay around the same value again not very limited and only 7 different cards making them flood the market like the immortal cards, only a little less common.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll261/stormernumber1/AFL/2008NRLCentenary_0004.jpg

Immortal Signature Redemptions (1 per case) Now I haven't gotten one of these yet but these will be the only limited card in the series so I expect these to be worth a fair bit in time to come, limited to 125ea which is nice, and there are 7 cards, the churchill foil sig will not be that valued but the other 6 immortals that have signed the cards will be worth a fortune in years to come.

So really I believe that Select screwed this release up by having 10,000 boxes, its far too many for a series like this, everything should be limited to make them worth collecting, as I think that within 6mths most of the prices will be dropping apart from the Sig Redemptions, also having the exact same 7 players in the top 4 subsets, Team of the Century, Immortals, Immortals Sketch, Immortals Signature Redemption, also takes a bit away from this release.

But of course this is just my 2c.

I pretty much agree with everything stormernumber1 said

I like the past heroes set player selection wise except for the Wests Tigers :( & the Gold Coast greats are better known for being Manly greats (Shearer & Close) :p

too many cards of old guys i've never seen play immortals signature redemptions & team of the century would have been more than adequate

awesome set if your a Dragons fan i guess

In general I like em.............normally I will only collect the base set in the album along with any Broncos specials............gonna try for the complete set of this series though, big ask but will give it a go............

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone else think that Select have flooded the market with the print run size of this set. 10,000 boxes may have been a little too many.

Peter Thomspon :D

Yes. i think the set had great potential but they have gone overboard with production.

I also agree that duplicating the subsets with two lots of TOC and three lots of immortals (plus immortals are already in TOC so 5 lots of immortals) was excessive too.

Hi All,

Just to add to ths thread I have been watching sales on ebay for the cards from this set and demand seems to have decreased quite quickly this year. Not sure if select have hit the mark with this release. I get the feeling they may be getting a little complacent and not listening or not even asking what the collectors are looking for. This brings me to my question. Via my website Gameday Trading Cards I am looking to create a survey for collectors to voice there opinion and say what direction select needs to take next with it's release. Hopefully this could be then put in front of select to help with future release. If you would be interested in contributing make a post here or send me a personal message. I think the card release for Australian sports are due for a change. What do you think?

Thanks in Advance

Peter Thompson :D

not a bad set

though it helped that i got a immortal sketch card :)

oh and the album is awesome

Yeh, I do like the album but it has one drawback, its slightly higher........I have now something like 30 odd league and other albums display a major part of my collection in a timber bookcase, but the damn 2008 Centenary won't fir cause it is just that little bit too high, a problem yeh................but i still like it, lol

Select did take a different direction with this series, but they completely missed the mark, i mean 3 or 4 levels of inserts that include ONLY the exact same 7 players is stupid and the fact that this series is not even really limited, i mean there are 10,000 boxes which is great for people trying to complete sets and the such but by producing that many boxes it just completely devalues all of the cards.

IMO Select need to have a similar # of inserts as this years NRL series and similar levels, i think thats something they have got almost right, a large 40-50 card subset with 1:2 or 1:3 would be pretty good as an extra.

They then need to get rid of Foil Signatures because these are just crap there is no real value in them at all. Start getting some dual stuff on a more common basis, like get hooker and half back signature on one card as the case hit or even better as a 1:6 boxes, start getting some big signature cards and take a hint from the US card companies, even companies like RA and other non-sport cards because the same "future force" or "Top Prospect" sig on a 1 box basis is getting tired, start having 2 sigs per box or 1 sig and/or 1 Game Used per box, even something like a Gold Holofoil Parallel series that is 1 per box or something like that, with standard holofoil 1:1 and gold 1:36 or how bout for the gold just the team logo and the first 3 players in the set, hooker, half back and full back.

I appreciate that Select did try to change the NRL series this year and they did an excellent job with the Base Set and the Album but they needed to consider their major flaws and really take a look at how far behind the US card market they are, i mean how many US products come with only 1 auto per box, and a foil auto at that!! Especially when the box is costing $175 each and a case of these cost $1800+ for that amount of $$ you can pick up a fairly high end case of quality NBA or probably 2-3 cases of Non-Sport stuff in which the cards are of a much higher quality.

Hence the reason I personally have been moving to non-sport stuff the AFL/NRL series just isnt really interesting me hopefully they can pick up their game for next year, although tbh i doubt it :(

Some good suggestions stormernumber1.

I have been thinking along the same lines. I have an idea for a NRL and AFL release in the pipeline. Anyone with suggestions of what they would like to see in a NRL and AFL release for 2009 post them here. Lets get a set designed from the collectors point of view.

Thanks in advance

Peter Thompson

GamedayTradingcards.com

game used & patches would be a nice change but i can't see that happening anytime soon from Select

acetate cards seem to be the best they can do they impressed me in 1994 not anymore

I was thinking along the same lines with the jersey and patch. Here is an idea for a product, ( just a snippet not the full idea. Tell me if this would get your interest.

IDEA 1

Dual Patch Card for each team past and present.

eg. Peter Sterling / Nathan Hindmarsh Parramatta

With a piece of old style parra jersey and new style jersey.

Limited to 100

Dual Patch Autograph same card limited to 50

Dual patch Autograph gold stamp 1:1

IDEA 2

If the product guarenteed you one 1:1 card in every case.

This is just a start on ideas. Would these attract your interest.

I think Select has become a little too comfortable with what it is producing and it is becoming a bit too much of the same thing coming out again and again. Maybe there creative people have become a little stale.

Tell me what you think or throw a few ideas around.

Thanks in Advance

Peter Thompson

GamedayTradingcards.com :D

I only just discovered this post, but gameday online you are onto something. Select need to lift there game fast. More game used and more sigs. They just have to take a leaf out of the american companies. I dont collect nba but some of the cards i have seen on this site look absolutely amazing and leave anything select has done for dead. Something needs to change at that company.

Jersey cards, dual jersey cards, dual signatures, jersey signatures would be sensational, but Im not going to hold my breath. The jersey cards and that provan/summons dual signature they released in 2003 were sensational cards but they seemed to have gone backwards since.

I have no doubt for the 2009 release we are going to get a base set, club player of the year, team of the year, medal cards, one future force per box, with a few sig redemptions thrown in. Its getting pretty old.

And dont even get me started on there cricket releases.

Back
Top Bottom