2 x Select 2009-10 Boxes (Case 2)

boomboom-84

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Grant
So after watching with envy as everyone else busted their boxes, I finally got into my boxes last night. I'll only post hits:

Box 1 : Box 2
Foil Sigs
FS1 - Bollinger : FS14 - Johnson
FS21 - Ponting : FS15 - Katich
FS22 - Siddle : FS16 - Lee
FS23 - Tait : FS17 - Manou
FS24 - Watson : FS18 - Marsh
FS25 - White : FS19 - McDonald

5000 Runs Club
TR4 - Hayden : TR13 - Walters
TR5 - M Waugh : TR14 - I Chappell
TR6 - Langer : TR15 - Slater

Freshman
F5 - Hughes : F11 - Warner
F6 - D Hussey : F12 - White

Masters Gems
MG6 - Langer / Hayden : MG3 - Ponting

Also in Box 2, I pulled a Pete Siddle Elite Signature Redemption, AND a Don Bradman Legend Gem. Needless to say I was very happy with Box 2:D

One thing that I was also surprised about was the collating of the commons within boxes. Each box I busted was almost spot-on two complete common sets, and then a few left-overs, and in two boxes, I was two Die-Cuts short of a set, once again with only a few left-overs. Also, each of the inserts came out spot on their respective ratios. I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences.

I have reserved my judgement on these cards until I actually had them in-hand. Although I will acknowledge that this release is far better than the past two years and Select are definately on the improve, I was still somewhat disappointed with these cards and IMO they are still some way short of Futera. I think the subject matter for the inserts (ie: 5000 Test Runs, Freshman, Acetate Gems, and 2 Signature releases with Redemption cards), and the numbers and ratios at which they occur is absolutely fantastic, but the actual dsign of the cards still leave a bit to be desired. For example, the 5000 Test Runs cards, with all those great names of Australian cricket, should excite me far more than they do. I think that by having a plain background on the cards, as opposed to a photographic background, all the drama and excitement of the card is removed. And a similar thing with the Freshman cards, I like the hippy-lokking border, but a photographic background would be much more appealing.

You need only look at the Futera releases of old and the popularity they enjoy even today, where virtually every common card and many (but not all) inserts had the photographic backgrounds. One of my favourites is the Great Cricket Memories from 1994/95, with the vintage style colouration of the photo in the background. I beleive a similar thing on the 5000 Test Runs cards would make them far more appealing and exciting, and possibly even increase their value.

As I said at the top, I do take my hat off to Select for the vast improvements they have made this year, and I will be trying to complete all, but all these plain backgrounds are starting to frustrate me, and there is still definately room for improvement :)

Many thinks to Ming for organising the 3 case shares, and congrats to those who pulled the Master Sigs!! Cant wait to see some scans of those bad boys :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom