1993-94 Finest refractors

Dodgydave

OzCardTrader
Real Name
David Dawkins
So, I have been looking at the above Olajuwon cards on EBay and pricing is all over the show.

https://130point.com/sales/
One thing I have noticed is that beyond the refractor finish I don’t think there is any other difference than the base cards (ie they don’t say “refractor” on the back like later releases did). Can someone confirm that is correct.

Some cards in the look obviously “refractory” but others where pics have been taken in poor light look like base cards at least to me.

I guess I am asking for any tips to identify cards as refractors from poor pics? Secondly, do people think all the cards in the above link are refractors or are some base cards?

Thanks,
David

Only the refractor finish is what you can see. There is nothing else to indicate.

You can usually tell if it is a refractor or not.

One corner or side of the card from the other side or corner, should show some difference in the rainbow colour refraction of the light. It is not like a direct reflection of light.

Looking at this one, the main photo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363419677898?hash=item549d8034ca:g:Ke8AAOSwc1hgtq3Q
It might look quite shiny all through, but you can see a refraction band of more rainbow colour, at the centre of the card, just below the midline of the card, running almost horizontally through the card.

On a different photo on that listing, then you can see the refraction occurs elsewhere - it depends on the angle you are looking from and the light source.

If the photo on a listing does not really show it (not detailed enough) or do not show enough photos to see the refraction, then just to be safe, give it a miss and wait for another.

So, I have been looking at the above Olajuwon cards on EBay and pricing is all over the show.

https://130point.com/sales/
One thing I have noticed is that beyond the refractor finish I don’t think there is any other difference than the base cards (ie they don’t say “refractor” on the back like later releases did). Can someone confirm that is correct.

Some cards in the look obviously “refractory” but others where pics have been taken in poor light look like base cards at least to me.

I guess I am asking for any tips to identify cards as refractors from poor pics? Secondly, do people think all the cards in the above link are refractors or are some base cards?

Thanks,
David
I collect this set, and you're right - there is no 'refractor' marking on them. But once you know what to look for, you can easily spot them.

I've managed to grab several big name steals from eBay that haven't been listed as Refractors, or mixed in with a 'lot' of other Finest cards from that year.

The only tip I'd give for trying to ascertain from poor pics is to look at how the ambient light hits the card. Base tend to go the same shine all over (more 'reflective' and chrome), while refractors look less chrome/shiny overall except for the 'refracting' spots. Base will reflect the ambient light like a smooth surface, refractors will go rainbow.

The best colours to check are the purples, greens and blues around the edges - these tend to change the most in crappy pictures. Without a doubt, the hardest to tell the difference between a base and a refractor are the 'XXX's Finest' with the brick backgrounds.

Here's a side by side in fairly average light that you can see how they change. The left is the base with a more consistent light reflection/shine overall, while the right is obviously a refractor.

IMG_3559.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom