WHY? GWS, GC....Tassie? No state of Origin?

bombersfc

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Sam
eBay User
bombersfc
SO glad Demetrious is gone soon. The way the game has changed in these ten years is just shit-house I reckon.

One of the best finals I saw in the 9os was when the BOMBERS beat the eagles.....waving flags...

Its just sad :-(

And I know that the players want State of Origin back so Why the decaded delay?

One thing i Do know is I'll be there tomorrow nite, mate.

'Etihad' Telstra SUX!

la di la di da

check it.

The players might want State of Origin back, but the clubs certainly don't. Not sure that the public really do either.

I'm sure you'd get a decent crowd the first year, but you'd wind up with 30K attending a few years down the track, just like it was last time around.

State of Origin was a great, and workable concept, before the game went national. When you had the VFL, SANFL and WAFL vying to be THE footy league and state pride meant something.

Today there's just too much a stake in the AFL to risk time and potential injury on State of Origin games.

It works for the NRL because a lot of their talent still comes out of two states, which makes an origin series easier to work into a season. Even then, there's usually still some complaints about the cost it places on a NRL team's regular season.

I wouldn't be against it coming back, but maybe run it every two years or something, to ensure there isn't any sort of crowd burnout.

I reckon that if there is to be "rep" footy, it should be kept to the International Rules games against Ireland.

State of Origin has run its race and would be meaningless if reinstated. For example, The Adelaide list has 23 senior-listed players recruited from other states and Port Adelaide has 18. It's not like it used to be when Whitten, Skilton, Barrassi, Matthews, Brereton etc played for Victorian clubs in the VFL and Robran, Kerley, Cornes, Ebert etc played for South Australian clubs in the SANFL.

As Mat said, the risk of injury is too great for a "showpiece" event. As a Hawthorn supporter, I can still remember poor Tony Hall injuring his knee after being tackled by his Hawthorn teammate Andrew Collins in a Vic v SA game at the MCG in 1989.

Back
Top Bottom