Who has a spare $90,000

Need to organise a team to send off emails to the owner. Start at a low-ball and then each person increases the offer by say $1,000 until an offer is accepted...

well i got about $30,000 saved up for a house deposit and/or maybe pay of some hecs fees.

Being a fleer collector this is tempting haha.

Maybe you should try bargaining with the seller
I think $90K is way overpriced (even though it's an awesome set)

Haha I like where this is going. :D

I don't think the item can move around.... it should be like one of those things where it is stored in one location and to open it up requires every member to insert their key to unlock it. :D

Good Morning Australia!!!!

Daily update this morning at $1,500 total. Don't believe that is enough to make an offer yet. Thought about it last night on how incredible this would be if everybody just contributed sometime, any amount is greatly appreciated. Using ants as an analogy, as one ant, you get quashed and killed fairly easily but if we can summon enough of us, we can conquer anything.

I know there must be rules around this but really time is the essence at the moment, need to strike when the iron is hot. Would definitely like to hear possible ideas on what rules we should have and of course propose the rules for everybody to vote on. Alright enough, lets start the ball rolling!!!!!!

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 08:59 AM ----------

Haha I like where this is going. :D

I don't think the item can move around.... it should be like one of those things where it is stored in one location and to open it up requires every member to insert their key to unlock it. :D

C'mon Brett

It would definitely be stored in one secured location, yet to be determined. Every member would have their unique passwords anyway.

Would you be keen to commit something now, does not have to be big, just want you to be part of it. Cheers Alex

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 09:00 AM ----------

Maybe you should try bargaining with the seller
I think $90K is way overpriced (even though it's an awesome set)

Any investment from USA would be welcome!!!!

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 09:01 AM ----------

well i got about $30,000 saved up for a house deposit and/or maybe pay of some hecs fees.

Being a fleer collector this is tempting haha.

Dominik, as a Fleer Collector, how can you say no.......

THIS IS THE ULTIMATE FLEER SET..THE ONE AND ONLY SET!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 09:03 AM ----------

I'll put in enough to cover the Alex English, Wayne Cooper & Dan Schayes if they gets to live at my house :D :lol:

They can live in your house as per your investment allows, they are Nuggets legends, you got to do something about this. Cheers Alex

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 09:04 AM ----------

I'm happy to run a chook raffle every 2nd Sunday at the local, I'm sure I could get my nan to bake up a few things to throw in as well....

I would hold you to this when the time comes......

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 09:06 AM ----------

Need to organise a team to send off emails to the owner. Start at a low-ball and then each person increases the offer by say $1,000 until an offer is accepted...

Don't think there is anybody mad enough to give him any decent offers, we might get it at much lower than $90K for sure.

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 09:08 AM ----------

Not a chance but this thread is giving me a chuckle, I don't mean to be rude but this is starting to sound like one of those pyramid schemes.:lol:

Good luck with the fundraising and if it works I will have egg on my face.:v:

You will always be welcome to contribute. I am not so worried about egg on your face, more like Patrick Ewing's voice talking to you in your sleep letting you know that you have not bought all his auto card you naughty boy!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 09:10 AM ----------

Well you should be. If you ever move to perth, I could put you to use!!

Slobby said he will trade his whole Pippen collection towards it BTW.

I would admit to being a sales man if you choose to contribute. Cheers Alex

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 09:12 AM ----------

$10.25 gets you ownership of the set for 1 hour per year. Get on board guys.

That is the spirit, something better than nothing. Where is your esprit de corps?

im not really a 'part of history' kind of guy. more of a nameless face, quickly forgotten...
im also not into unofficial autos. would rather this set unsigned. i remember a few months ago this set came up, 50k, all cards graded 9 or higher, which id be far more interested in.
plus like someone else said, its pretty over-priced.

No worries Mak, you can join in later, you will always be welcome. Cheers Alex

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 09:18 AM ----------

Well I personally don't think this is such a bad idea. I mean we could definitely generate income from showing this collection off around the place, I know company's do with with paintings. Probably need to work out a few regulations and stuff to make this seem more legit but I'm happy to contribute up to $5000, possibly more, seeing this as an investment and provided we don't pay over the top for it.

Its good that Bainy at a young age has a very entrepreneur spirit. I know that the logistically side of it has not been settle but the potential of owning such a set is huge. The income derived from this set can be massive if managed properly. If you are willing to put in that $5k, you can become the youngest CEO company in Australia, managing card portfolios around the world.

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 09:19 AM ----------

Haha man....... sorry but I don't really have the cash to be spending it on sports cards atm..... haven't bought anything for the PC for months now, let alone this. :(

No worries, when you are up and running again, you are always welcome to put in some contribution. Cheers Alex

problem is I have an almost wife who would not be happy with me haha.

Don't we all have the same problem??? Just let her know that is a good investment opportunity that would allow her to retire young. They all buy this idea.

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 09:40 AM ----------

Without a clear plan written out, I'm far away from this idea.

Agreed, everything needs a plan. A plan needs a vision... and that is what we have at the moment. A vision to own the world greatest basketball set. Logistically speaking not sure how to deal with guys from overseas but you more than welcome to contribute something.

I'm all for the vision! Let's write out a plan, cover the basics (i.e. Housing, preserving, and definitely the requirements to eventually sell. 51%vote?) then we can talk money.

Agreed, everything needs a plan. A plan needs a vision... and that is what we have at the moment. A vision to own the world greatest basketball set. Logistically speaking not sure how to deal with guys from overseas but you more than welcome to contribute something.

I love your enthusiasm...it is to be admired!! But you need to harness this energy and put it into something achievable...possibly consider some volunteer work!!

Anyway this is a great set......has anyone worked out how many of these players have passed away in the past 25 years?

I am going to write out an interim plan for the next 6 months on the logistically part of it. After that, we would have to go into our first annual general meeting for all shareholders and proposed what plans to go ahead with over the next 12 months. So for interim measure, this is what is going to happen.

1. The ownership of the card is going to reside in that of a company or a trust whichever would provide a more reliable protection over the asset and tax effective of distributing any income and capital gains. The owners of this company will be the contributors to this set ie every $1 invested will give you 1 share so you have invested $1000 and the total investment amount is $25000, you owned 1/25 or 4% of this company. Your votes will correspond according to your shareholdings.

2. For the next 6 months, I will at no cost to anybody else managed this card portfolio until the first annual general meeting is held. In the first AGM, a administrator/s or manager/s can be formally nominated and appointed then. It does not neccessarily have to be one person, it can be a group of person that can serve in the best interest of the shareholders.

3. The cards on the interim will be stored in a fine arts investment vault of which it requires authorisation of 2 members other than myself to have it opened. Such a vault would provide more than enough asset security and conditions in such vaults are ideal for collections.

4. There will be insurance bought for this item in the event of thieft, fire or other major accidents.

5. I strongly believe that this project will be revenue neutral, the possible income will come from the apperance of the set in major card stores, hobby stores and collectors store. All income from here will be used to offset the insurance cost and storage cost of the set.

6. All long term goals of the set will be finalised at the first AGM which includes setting target for selling price or maintaining it to generate a sustainable income. I strongly believe the long term returns on this is about 12% PA minimum over the next 5 years.

7. In the event, if there is a shortage of funds over the first 6 months, I will willing to be out-of-pocket during this time and am happy to be re-imbursed at a later date when the company does take off.

I do not want to set any long term plans yet as it is not my company alone, it belongs to everyone else who has a share and passion in this. Cheers Alex

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 10:21 AM ----------

I love your enthusiasm...it is to be admired!! But you need to harness this energy and put it into something achievable...possibly consider some volunteer work!!

Anyway this is a great set......has anyone worked out how many of these players have passed away in the past 25 years?

You are absolutely spot on, some of these players have moved on with life and their auto is no longer available. This set will always be remembered by collectors of our generation. Many people don't realise how significant this set is in the hooby world.

On a side note, would you like to put in anything? Cheers Alex

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 10:23 AM ----------

I'm all for the vision! Let's write out a plan, cover the basics (i.e. Housing, preserving, and definitely the requirements to eventually sell. 51%vote?) then we can talk money.

Read above. Thanks

What is the minimum investment? Also are there rules against any one person obtaining 51%? what are the opt out options? I believe that these can be set before owner meeting.

What is the minimum investment? Also are there rules against any one person obtaining 51%? what are the opt out options? I believe that these can be set before owner meeting.

At the moment, I do not want to put a minimum investment sum, I do not want to discriminate people based on their wealth. I believe anybody should be able to put in any amount based on their passion for this project and their believe in it. Of course, the more you contribute, the more voting rights you have. I can't expect somebody contributing $1 to this project but wants to run the show. There are no rules about acquiring 51% of the company but like the corporations act in Australia, there is rules protecting the minority interest, you cannot put them at a disadvantage. Any decision made must be in the benefit of the company. Opting out is going to be the same as selling out. If there is a willing buyer to take you out, you can sell out. If there is not, then treat it as poor investment decision. I do not want it to be all about money at the moment, I also want the passion and the belief that such an undertaking is actually possible. Cheers Alex

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 10:49 AM ----------

I'll take Matt's kidney and volunteer to go pick up the set from the U.S. :p

You might get nominated to pick it up if you are a contributor. :D

Back
Top Bottom